ableont live for production?

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

As far as midi timing issues, from my experience, it's probably related to your midi device. In my case, my soundcard was causing midi problems. It's not a cheap card either. If you want tight midi, buy a dedicated midi card, don't route the midi through your soundcard.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

instruments for me.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

ah thanks, interessting. I don't like the instruments from ableton too (operator is a exception).

But I would never choose my sequencer because of the containing instruments. I think there are enough good 3rd party instruments out there, but I do agree that a good sound library make things much easier.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

although I like the workflow in Ableton better I did change to logic a while back. Love it, but just as any daw it also has its limitations, f.e. the lack of a decent sampler.

While we're on the subject, I thought I'd work around the issue by rewireing Live as a slave to Logic (you know, just use the benefits of Logic with the benefits of Live), but crappy side-effect is that for some strange reason the plugins in Live are shut off when in slave mode. If anyone has a solution or workaround for that issue, I'm all ears ;)
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

There is no workaround for that. When you use live as a rewire slave vst support is disabled (it's a rewire spec).

I have the same problem with cubase and live. But working with two sequencers at the same time is to much overhead for me, but I sometimes change the sequencer for certain tasks when I feel the need for that. I work 90% in lives linear arrange view and I miss many things in live, but the "traditional" sequencer concept like in cubase with a mixer is too bulky for me. Alone the effect handling in live is so damn good.

It's funny, in contrast to the common hearing I trend to make small parts in cubase and arrange/finish them in live.
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

nrjizer wrote:I write tracks in Logic, and I've wondered about how I'll eventually play my tracks in Live once I'm ready to start doing live sets. It's my intention to actually bring hardsynths along and have them be triggered by midi clips, rather than to just bounce their sound files into Ableton as audio clips.

The trouble is, though, a lot of my sounds are manipulated by Logic's delays and reverbs, which means that when I eventually do live sets with Ableton, the sounds are going to sound different because they're being processed by different plugins. I can't really see any good way around this, other than to start using 3rd party delays/reverbs/etc for writing my tracks, so that I can set things up the same way in Ableton.
Record the track and use the sample.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

miniMAL_420 wrote:
nrjizer wrote:I write tracks in Logic, and I've wondered about how I'll eventually play my tracks in Live once I'm ready to start doing live sets. It's my intention to actually bring hardsynths along and have them be triggered by midi clips, rather than to just bounce their sound files into Ableton as audio clips.

The trouble is, though, a lot of my sounds are manipulated by Logic's delays and reverbs, which means that when I eventually do live sets with Ableton, the sounds are going to sound different because they're being processed by different plugins. I can't really see any good way around this, other than to start using 3rd party delays/reverbs/etc for writing my tracks, so that I can set things up the same way in Ableton.
Record the track and use the sample.
+1
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest