How long have you been making music for?

- ask away
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Started DJing in 1999.
Started learning Ableton 5 - 2007.
First release was a track licensed to a compilation CD - 2008.
Should have my first proper release, a 2 track EP, by the end of 2009.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

let's seeee...

got maschine and ableton 8 about 2-3 months ago sooooo.... :?

i've been djing for around 2 years now though. one of my good friends who loves a lot of my mixes is dying to hear something I produce myself but I honestly don't see myself allowing anyone to hear anything I've produced any time soon. i still have so so much to learn and gear to buy. I don't even have any hardware synths yet! X_X lol
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

^^

Can't understand the quote thing. But to the poster above. Don't get to hooked up on what gear you have and what you don't have. Just learn whatever equipment you have as well as you can and have as much as you can. Fantastic music will emerge.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

thanks man! :D

i have a lot of basic ideas down for tracks or like, half-tracks. i have one that i could maybe finish up if i add a few more elements, cause it's definitely missing something. i dunno maybe i'll finish it up by the end of the year. i've been bouncing around a few things, different tracks and working on some dj mixes as well. seems like a lot of you guys go through this kind of thing. leave tracks for awhile work on others, come back to it, change things, rinse repeat.

it was really interesting to me to read an interview recently where Tim Xavier said he had just recently put out a track that he had started working on years prior. i think before i started reading these boards i assumed you want to make a track and you just sit down and make it, finish it, release it, boom thats it. but i guess i was a bit naive in thinking this way was absolute. well, VERY naive, lol.

im sure there are tons of ppl and tracks out there made this way but im equally sure there are just as many that have been worked on for longer periods of time, change and evolved over time. i guess the idea is since your music is a expression of yourself it's also constantly changing and evolving as you do as a person, as a musician. this is one of the things that i love the most about music.

i don't really stress it though. i don't let myself get bogged down with it. when the time is right, i'll finish something. i'll know it's complete. i'll feel it. and then boom, i'll release it. i'll show it to all of you guys, and you can all tear it to shreds. :lol:

edit:
just to clarify when i say 'release' i just mean make it available for ppl to listen/download etc, not specifically like on a label or anything
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

12 years mucking about, 3.5 years seriously.

Made all sorts, came closest to a full, label release in the breaks scene a few years back. Since then have worked steadily at house and techno.

Have resisted any interest from labels because I'm not happy with any of my music. Plus - working at a download store and wading through thousands of soundalike, generic rubbish has left me totally disillusioned / enlightened with what "a release" actually means these days...

:?
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

thomasjaldemark wrote:somewhere mid 90ies i started using ft2.. long time ago :) also formed my own "tracking group" in the end of 90ies (Thinner)..
first release "physically" i think was 2002-03 on some cdr..

first vinyl came jan 2005, and fortunatly it's been a couple since then!
so it took about ten years of making music before the first record came out :)
Wait a second, Thinner is your label? I've been a huge fan of Thinner for a long time. Props!
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

thomasjaldemark wrote:s

so it took about ten years of making music before the first record came out :)
Totally missed this when I read this thread through. I personally take alot of heart from hearing it.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
hernangrau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by hernangrau »

i played piano and guitar as a child, i was disconnected with making music since then.
since 2 years and a half i started making electronic music,(never quit listening) i got various digital releases, also some netreleases. i think my first netrelease was 3 months i started, and digital at 6 or 7 months.
But i guess that just now, this past 3 months i'm quite happy with my sound. and also because i'm starting releasing in labels i respect very much as multi vitamins or thema.