Producers losing hope in a crowded, insular scene

- ask away
diego vega
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by diego vega »

::BLM:: wrote:
steevio wrote:i'd like to expand on the 30 seconds thing, because it might seem harsh or lazy to some people.

when i listen to a track if the groove doesnt immedeately sit right, or a sound is unpleasant to me or is a type of synth sound i've never liked

I can tell in less then 30 seconds for all the same reasons as you.
I have the same 'method', I know what I like and I don't like (there's no maybes, or shades of grey, it's black or white, it works or it doesn't). So yes I can tell in less than 30 seconds if I like the general idea of the track and if it fits my style. Then comes further analysis to tell if it's a really awesome track, or just a good track, or a filler (when it would fit in a set etc), which means listening to the whole song and see it's progression, etc.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

In response to the part of this thread about listening to other's tunes and getting people to listen to yours - I've had the best luck when I go ahead and listen to a dozen tunes that are posted in the forum here (or elsewhere). That generally leads to more people taking the time to listen to my tracks. Simple as that. Basic give and take.

Regarding the suggestion that 30 seconds is enough to judge whether a track is worth it or not - I have to agree. I've found plenty of tracks that were obviously amazing and right up my alley after listening to a very short clip. With the vast number of tracks out there on something like Beatport you're almost forced to. I think there's plenty of good tracks and I can tell that immediately when I hear one...the thing is I've gotten to the point where I'm looking for the GREAT tracks.

And to the poster that claimed this is a negative thread - I don't think there's anything negative about suggesting people take the time to make music that's special, or to work hard to promote themselves. Perhaps I'm missing the point that was being made.
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

You know within 3 seconds whether you like the track, because the rythym IS mainly the track.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

30seconds, 3 seconds?

what next? by looking at the cover of the record?
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

Atheory wrote:30seconds, 3 seconds?

Yip, if you dont spend the time or effort and just do it in MS paint, why click it?
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

Atheory wrote:30seconds, 3 seconds?

by reading the name of the artist...
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

does no one ever find that theres some tracks the don't "get" until the third or fourth listen?

i understand that lots of records can be dismissed quickly (and almost always accurately for being completely derivative) but some records need more time to breath and settle a bit and just be on.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Its also far easier to dislike a track when it only cost £/$/e 1.50