Dj Bone interview (bring some hate)

- open
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

cloutier wrote:
Atheory wrote: normal people say "how they feel", egomaniacs "tell it how it is", you know, like tv evangalists (spelling?)

eh. i'd rather someone tell me in the raw their opinion and i can deduce from there rather than someone politely explain it just to appease everyone.
how someone feels is their raw opinion. i don't know where the appeasement aspect comes into it. its not black and white like that.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

cloutier wrote: and the part about "detroit wouldn't be where it is without europe" is fcking ridiculous. if that's so correct, tell me why the first 30 or so tresor records are all detroit producers? if it weren't for the detroit sound invading europe, i'm pretty sure gabber would still be a staple listening situation.
what about all the people in europe supporting them, buying their records, paying to see them play, risking their asses booking them just to expose them to a new public etc. that doesn't count? detroit got a lot of love and a lot of support from europe,

gabber? come'on... there's no detroit techno without kraftwerk, tangerine dream, yello, italian disco and so much more...

and to Torque, i value someone's opinion a lot, but if you're saying that a lot of artists who are inspired by the sounds of detroit are frauds, then what do you expect? a thank you? this is pure egotripping

this goes straight into the derrick may bin!
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

dsat wrote: what about all the people in europe supporting them, buying their records, paying to see them play, risking their asses booking them just to expose them to a new public etc. that doesn't count? detroit got a lot of love and a lot of support from europe,

gabber? come'on... there's no detroit techno without kraftwerk, tangerine dream, yello, italian disco and so much more...

and to Torque, i value someone's opinion a lot, but if you're saying that a lot of artists who are inspired by the sounds of detroit are frauds, then what do you expect? a thank you? this is pure egotripping

supporting is one thing. you're also trying to dissect this in a bizarre way. i mean, we're talking the advent of a new sound and style as opposed to now where its huge and wildly popular to do electronic music. i get what you're saying, but that's like saying if it weren't for royalty mozart would have been a shlub. detroit got a lot of love from everywhere, not just europe. i'm sure someone will bring up the "good life" sales figures at some point...

and agreed...this could, very quickly, fall in to that "derrick may" style of debate where everyone is wrong and only he / me / you / someone is right.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

the funny thing is that the big detroit guys weren't really close minded. they listened to loads of stuff from europe and other areas. obviously that music couldn't have happened without that.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i think one thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that detroit people, as a whole, are very...for lack of a better term...family oriented. being from there, i can attest to this - pride is very high, especially when you work hard to make a lot from a little.

its campy to say, but watch "high tech soul," the detroit techno documentary. there's a special feature on the dvd where the one professor is talking about detroit and its people, and he pretty much nails it. its hard to really express, but, like i said...its a working mans city, and you're surrounded by burnt out buildings and depressing situations and crime and the like, so when you build something with your bare hands, and work hard to make everything work, you protect it to the fullest.

sure, detroit people can be a little verbose and aggressive, but i'd venture to guess its not out of spite, its just simply related to the fact that, like bone said, people are quick to cite detroit as a reference point, but outside of that, its just a footnote to most in the whole history of things, when it should be chapter...well...three. haha.

dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

cloutier wrote:
dsat wrote: what about all the people in europe supporting them, buying their records, paying to see them play, risking their asses booking them just to expose them to a new public etc. that doesn't count? detroit got a lot of love and a lot of support from europe,

supporting is one thing. you're also trying to dissect this in a bizarre way. i mean, we're talking the advent of a new sound and style as opposed to now where its huge and wildly popular to do electronic music. i get what you're saying, but that's like saying if it weren't for royalty mozart would have been a shlub. detroit got a lot of love from everywhere, not just europe. i'm sure someone will bring up the "good life" sales figures at some point...

and agreed...this could, very quickly, fall in to that "derrick may" style of debate where everyone is wrong and only he / me / you / someone is right.
i still think he should have rephrased a bit what he was saying
i mean... labels like delsin, rush hour, ferox, is also detroit-inspired and is run by hardworking people with the right mindset... and next to that you do have people who use 'detroit' just as a marketing thing... but Bone seems to be generalizing a lot... and that's what's pissing me off the most

it's ok to step on someone's toes now and then, but at least he should explain himself a bit better

never mind a derrick may debate, mr may is always right in those debates... ah anyway... fucking tired of these discussions... people should just shut up anc concentrate on doing their own thing... there's already way too much hate and hipocrisy in techno... way too much
i guess i was very disappointed to be reading this from dj Bone...
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

dsat wrote: fcking tired of these discussions... people should just shut up anc concentrate on doing their own thing... there's already way too much hate and hipocrisy in techno... way too much
i guess i was very disappointed to be reading this from dj Bone...
i hear ya. but i have some weird feeling that more and more detroit people are going to come out of the woodworks and speak up / speak their mind about stuff, and it could get ugly somewhere down the road. hell, it happened to detroit once, touting ego and sh!t...

but yeah. i speak my mind, and i don't mind doing it, but i've just gotten really, really tired of trying to explain sh!t to everyone and i just do my thing and enjoy my music and let the people be.

miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

http://www.lunarmagazine.com/features/frankie2.php

Frankie Bones talks about inventing P.L.U.R amongst other things.

:D

this interview is even better. Franks the man