why everyone loves beatport?

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

zentex wrote:firstly: at the BP exclusive tracks are 1 euro more expensive than non-exclusive tracks. at other shops, say Whatpeopleplay, Boomkat or Digital Tunes the same tracks would be sold cheaper...if they could sell them.
Well, the label, the artist and Beatport actually make a little more money, is that a problem? The customer still has the choice to not support/buy from the label. They can also wait 1/2 months and then buy the tracks at the other shops.
zentex wrote: secondly, you're just confirming my exact point: instead of selling in all the shops at the same time (and selling more copies, obviously), labels prefer being exclusive with BP and sell less copies but with more profit. obviously BP's sales are biggest because other shops don't have a chance to sell the same product=labels because the exclusivity deals. this is a vicious circle that can't be reversed as long as the labels prefer their exclusivity deals.
You seem to not understand. I don't know any label that would sell MORE copies by doing the above.... FAR from.
We at tic tac toe/connect four sell the same amount of tracks/do the same amount of money in all the other shops as we did before we went exclusive with Beatport (well actually we sell more now). Plus also Beatport sales are skyhigh for us.
zentex wrote: but the most important point is this:
as the result of this policy it is the customers who suffer from this the most: we are obliged to buy the tracks from BP, for a higher price, because there is no chance to compare the prices and services of all the shops make our own choice.
The customer always have the choice not to support/buy the label. Furthermore the tracks are available 1 or 2 months later at all other shops.
And the customer is the king here. If they don't buy, then someone is doing something wrong, but for us, we seem to be doing the right thing with this model.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

I agree with Bateman here. We're talking $1.99 for new releases, and $2.49 for pre-releases. Is that really so over-the-top? Everyone makes a little money. So what? The product is high-quality. It works out well.

Pre-digital days we never had any of these options. It was a $9 12" EP or bust.

Be happy for the choices you have in 2009.
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

zentex wrote:firstly: at the BP exclusive tracks are 1 euro more expensive than non-exclusive tracks. at other shops, say Whatpeopleplay, Boomkat or Digital Tunes the same tracks would be sold cheaper...if they could sell them.
patrick bateman wrote:Well, the label, the artist and Beatport actually make a little more money, is that a problem? The customer still has the choice to not support/buy from the label. They can also wait 1/2 months and then buy the tracks at the other shops.

i've no problem with making money, i know you make more money by being exclusive (as you sell the tracks at a higher price). i just can't agree with the attitude of "either you buy our music from beatport or you can't have our music".
zentex wrote: secondly, you're just confirming my exact point: instead of selling in all the shops at the same time (and selling more copies, obviously), labels prefer being exclusive with BP and sell less copies but with more profit. obviously BP's sales are biggest because other shops don't have a chance to sell the same product=labels because the exclusivity deals. this is a vicious circle that can't be reversed as long as the labels prefer their exclusivity deals.
patrick bateman wrote:You seem to not understand. I don't know any label that would sell MORE copies by doing the above.... FAR from.
We at tic tac toe/connect four sell the same amount of tracks/do the same amount of money in all the other shops as we did before we went exclusive with Beatport (well actually we sell more now). Plus also Beatport sales are skyhigh for us.
then please explain me like i was 6year old, because i can't understand: how on earth would you sell less copies by having the music in ALL the stores in the same time(including BP), than selling only at BP? to me it's simple math: more shops sell your music = more copies sold.

and bare in mind, i'm not talking about making money here, but the amount of tracks sold.

as the result of this policy it is the customers who suffer from this the most: we are obliged to buy the tracks from BP, for a higher price, because there is no chance to compare the prices and services of all the shops make our own choice.
patrick bateman wrote:The customer always have the choice not to support/buy the label. Furthermore the tracks are available 1 or 2 months later at all other shops.
And the customer is the king here. If they don't buy, then someone is doing something wrong, but for us, we seem to be doing the right thing with this model.

again, according to this model, if the the customer likes the label he is obliged to buy from beatport, if he wants to get the tracks. this imo is not cool, i think everybody should be able to choose the shop they want to buy their music. by being exclusive you are forcing your fans to use beatport, and also forcing them to pay more for your music. how is that an advantage to the customer?

bottom line:

i can understand labels wanting to make more money by being exclusive and selling more expensive releases. but it certainly doesn't mean i have to agree with it or support that model. i think competition is healthy for any type of business, and at the end this kind of monopoly is only bad for the customer.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Interesting tidbit, I have noticed that dubstep is one of the only genres in electronica now that sells more copies on Digital-tunes than on beatport!

I think thats a good step in the right direction. I'd like to see genres spread across different shops!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

zentex wrote:i've no problem with making money, i know you make more money by being exclusive (as you sell the tracks at a higher price). i just can't agree with the attitude of "either you buy our music from beatport or you can't have our music".
I understand what you write, I'm just saying that the customer can buy it from other shops after 1 month.
zentex wrote: then please explain me like i was 6year old, because i can't understand: how on earth would you sell less copies by having the music in ALL the stores in the same time(including BP), than selling only at BP? to me it's simple math: more shops sell your music = more copies sold.

and bare in mind, i'm not talking about making money here, but the amount of tracks sold.
I'll try :lol:
I can of course only speak for TTT/C4. From what I can see on the sales figures, it doesn't matter (sales number wise) if we have this 1 month exclusive with Beatport or not. We sell more or less the same numbers in the other shops no matter what we do. On the other hand our Beatport sale numbers have risen skyhigh last year (and actually the numbers for the other shops also a small rise... Maybe it would be more if we didn't have the exclusive deal with Beatport, I don't know, but what I do know, is that this model works for us, and customers support us/this model).
I simply don't agree. I can't see that the customer is suffering, maybe that is because I, myself as a DJ, more or less only use Beatport anyway.
If a label is selling their releases on a site I simply don't like, well, then I don't buy it, quite simple for me.
zentex wrote: bottom line:
i can understand labels wanting to make more money by being exclusive and selling more expensive releases. but it certainly doesn't mean i have to agree with it or support that model.
Of course you don't have to agree :)
zentex wrote: i think competition is healthy for any type of business, and at the end this kind of monopoly is only bad for the customer.

Competition is healthy for sure, that is also why we sell in other shops. But business wise this model works for us, and works very very good.

What about vinyl-only labels selling in only 1-2 vinyl stores, that is also a big problem for you?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

zentex wrote: i think competition is healthy for any type of business, and at the end this kind of monopoly is only bad for the customer.

Competition is healthy for sure, that is also why we sell in other shops. But business wise this model works for us, and works very very good.

What about vinyl-only labels selling in only 1-2 vinyl stores, that is also a big problem for you?[/quote]

Thats a horrible comparison and you know it, first of it costs more to get your vinyl into other stores and there are a load of other differences. Totally unfair comparison.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Ive got to agree with Patrick here I think your making a big deal out of nothing. If a label wants to only deal with Beatport then thats their choice. Im sure if they had enough request from fans to put their releases on other sites they would.

Most producers/label owners make hardly any money as it is and need to make a living, they also find it hard to make time to produce never mind chase up 20 download sites for payments or arrange 20 seperate contracts. If selling for 1 euro more on an exclusive deal with Beatport means a bigger revenue and more time then it makes good business to go with that deal.

As Patrick said what about Vinyl only labels, this is targetting the minority even more so than those who release on Beatport only but your not giving them any stick.

Ive just had a track released by a label and it is on every other site except for Beatport, I would love for the label to put the release onto Beatport as it would reach a much wider audience.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

livecollective wrote:
Bateman wrote:
What about vinyl-only labels selling in only 1-2 vinyl stores, that is also a big problem for you?
Thats a horrible comparison and you know it, first of it costs more to get your vinyl into other stores and there are a load of other differences. Totally unfair comparison.
Horrible? haha really?
Why couldn't they just make their track available digitally and also in all vinylstores through a distributor, so everyone of their fans could get the tracks easily?

Edit: of course it can be compared. Isn't it totally the same thing that Perlon won't do digital?