Drums in deep house

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I know quite a bit about synthesis as I did a degree in Music Tech, just I'm yet to play with any gear that’s inspired me. When I first starting making music I used to create all my own patches on synthesizers, but for some reason I then switched to using samples.

I guess it’s just a case of playing with loads of hardware like you said and finding out which one suits you best. Ill check out that Zebra thing though, as I'm a bit bored of the Albino (my trusty synth)

I just wanted to know if there was anyone out there making music along the same lines as me, which could point me in the right direction.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah I was reading in between the lines a bit about your knowledge of synthesis, guess it was the samples thing. it seems weird to use a sample of a synth unless you're one for going crazy for manipulation.

I can understand why people prefer analogue boxes. The fixed architecture really brings out people's creative sides but digital has a lot going for it I think.

I'm sure the right tool will be out there... just might be tricky tracking it down! heheh

(oh by the way, wavetable isn't the same as additive... got a little confused there)
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

I'm a begginner in the music production but I think you must be in harmony with your tools.
Martin buttrich has said in a interview for slice magazine:
Full hardware or full software are not good, 50/50% is good :lol:
He also said that some producers make awesome work with just a laptop and sound like hell.

I must admit in the case of classical deep house tracks, the lo-fi of old samplers and sound texture of an analogue hardware is something almost essential, but all the nu-school deep house stuff (agnes...) sound cleaner, more fresh and hi-fi.

But coming back to the initial subject, I'm a curious guy, and i like to know how the sound is made. I always think, if they have made this sample I can also make it. Sometimes I must admit it's impossible because you haven't the specific hardware, instrument... or so.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I must admit in the case of classical deep house tracks, the lo-fi of old samplers and sound texture of an analogue hardware is something almost essential, but all the nu-school deep house stuff (agnes...) sound cleaner, more fresh and hi-fi.
With someone like Agnes he is using a lot of samples/loops. I have a couple of his tracks that have taken loops from the major sample cd's. Maybe have a look at these sample cds to get an idea. I often listen to samples to try and recreate them.

yeah I was reading in between the lines a bit about your knowledge of synthesis, guess it was the samples thing. it seems weird to use a sample of a synth unless you're one for going crazy for manipulation.
Why does it seem weird? If I dont have the synth, but want the sounds it makes I can get someone to record a load of sounds from it for my sample library. Most samples would of been recorded at some point, no?
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

::BLM:: wrote:
With someone like Agnes he is using a lot of samples/loops. I have a couple of his tracks that have taken loops from the major sample cd's. Maybe have a look at these sample cds to get an idea. I often listen to samples to try and recreate them.

Why does it seem weird? If I dont have the synth, but want the sounds it makes I can get someone to record a load of sounds from it for my sample library. Most samples would of been recorded at some point, no?
What is the sample library that Agnes use ?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote: Why does it seem weird? If I dont have the synth, but want the sounds it makes I can get someone to record a load of sounds from it for my sample library. Most samples would of been recorded at some point, no?
this old can of worms eh? heheh. :)

i just thought you wanted to use a certain sound and sampling was a quicker method than synthesising it, so I (wrongly) assumed that you weren't too familiar with synthsis.

But it turns out that you know what you're doing with synthesis and that it was use samples or rob a bank to get a pretty unusual synth.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

this thread is burned out. :)

people can use their loops or samples... whatever... do as you please. people may dance. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:I got a great sample pack from Mike Huckaby. It’s got some lush tones in it from the Waldorf Wave. Thing is I find myself using these samples a lot because I cant afford a Wave or any hardware that I'm unsure of, so I'm stuck using VST's that are meant to emulate the Waldorf synthesizer, but unfortunately they sound nothing like it.

For me I often find myself using samples when I want to make deep stuff because I find it quite hard to get a nice decent Rhodes sound from a VST. I would love to get some bits of hardware, but want to fork out for something I’m going to get lots of use out. Any of you synthesis people (steevio etc…) know of any synthesizers that might be worth looking into for nice deep stuff?

If any of you could take the time to point me in the right direction that would be quality. As a whole I’m quite happy with the music I’m making so take a listen to www.myspace.com/benmicklewright to see where my head is at and maybe from that you could suggest a synthesizer.
hi ben, well i'm going to sound like a scratched record again,
get yourself a moog voyager RME or one of Dave Smith's creations, Prophet 8 maybe.
FM synthesis isnt restricted to digital synths, there's FM on the Moog.

for deep warm tones and textures i dont think you can beat the Moog.
buts its monophonic, so you're talking using it for one sound in each tune.
thats why i bought it myself, i just wanted one quality sound generator in my set up.
the Prophet 8 is more flexible, multitimbral, but for me it doesnt quite have the lush tone of the Moog. saying that, its probably the next synth i will buy when i've got the cash.

what i would say, is save up for a newwave analogue rather than buy an old vintage one, they stay in tune and have midi, patch memories, and all of the controls send and recieve midi continuous controller messages just like your software synths, so you can control it from your sequencer.