Broken beat minimal.

- ask away
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Martyn - Vancouver is one of the best rekkids I've bought all year.

substance and surgeon mixes of scuba are pretty good too.

Seen Scuba play a 2 hr set of that sort of thing recently in Switzerland - f@ck it was good :)

**Edit - re: the wobble thing - keep the mind open, it's just like minimal/whatever (sorry I refuse to think of minimal as a genre), or anything else, too much of somehting can be a bad thing, but as for the wobble - check Loefah - Mud V.I.P and Skream - Sub Island or stuff like Burial - Shutta.

I'm not a fan of Skream in general, and I'm not a fan of the wobbly pseudo Drum and Bass vein of 'Dubstep' but this track just shows how you need to keep an open mind sometimes - it's a guaranteed 'big track' with some kicking subs - never fails to get people moving and the melody is sublime if a little simplistic.

Also worth mentioning that despite having that kind of bass wobble - People like Scorn never fail to impress, his new remix EP on Combat is off the hook with some awesome guest mixes from other producers - I've never heard 2step sound like that before - the man takes it to a new level, but it's all offset against this brutal, minimalistic bass wobble and shards of percussion.

So I wouldn't write off all of that sound - it's still a killer technique when used right - other examples being folk like Vex'd, Funckarma, Wee djs, Neil Landstrumm etc.

If you haven't checked the Dubstoned EP yet by Funckarma - then you owe yourself a listen - it's fantastic - Pable Cath being an all out stormer and my fave of the bunch. Funckarma are Massively underrated IMO - one of my fave bands and producers of the mighty Shadow Huntaz - who are another band to check if you fancy some hip hop merged with deep, glitchy electronics.

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kwality wrote:
I'm really keen to hear more about your label Stevio, I think it sounds like a brilliant idea. Is it alright to send you beats?
of course mate, i need beats !!!

i'll put a post up about it soon, or if this thread is still running i'll add it here later.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yeah understand the wobble defending, it just got real tired, real quick. of course it can be good. it happens with simple to replicate production tricks all the time.....anyway gonna go and make a load of tracks that sound like akufen circa 2002. :D
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

Vancouver is off the hook, no doubt about it. I first heard it on some Headhunter mix for Mary Anne Hobbs (which I highly recommend, that set is pure bliss. I was listening to it for like a week, and never knew which sound belongs to which tune, I mean tunes were blended one into another so much well). I also recommend you

Skream - 2D (bleepy glitchy tune)

AVX23>>>>

SCORN IS SICK!!!
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

Good looks Stevio, I'll pm you some stuff. And I know what you mean AVX, but my real problem with wobble is more about dj's I think - wobble gets a reaction on a floor, so a lot of djs get scared to play differently or deeper, which becomes a bit of a loop.

It's no biggie though, I know there are sick wobblers out there, I've got plenty on my shelves (hell, if you go back a few years it was all wobbles) but I think a lot of people need to stop drawing for them every tune. Co-sign on 'Vancouver' and the new Headhunter album is seriously amazing.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

I like making some broken beat stuff from time to time, its actually quite fun.

+1 for this topic.
Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zsa Zsa »

livecollective wrote:I like making some broken beat stuff from time to time, its actually quite fun.

+1 for this topic.
likewise!

monolake does some dark-ish dub step stuff, and luciano's older stuff is that of the broken beat flavor.
"Upon the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses." .. Michel de Montaigne
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

AVX23 wrote:
If you haven't checked the Dubstoned EP yet by Funckarma - then you owe yourself a listen - it's fantastic - Pable Cath being an all out stormer and my fave of the bunch. Funckarma are Massively underrated IMO - one of my fave bands and producers of the mighty Shadow Huntaz - who are another band to check if you fancy some hip hop merged with deep, glitchy electronics.

ah man, havent thought about them in years!!!!

have a few old vinyls of theirs on Dub, and the one one Neo Ouiji. i used to love that stuff. did you like Defocus also? heard they shut down a few years back, sad times.