[M_nus 64] Marc Houle - Sixty Four

- wax
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

I don't think it's bad vibe to be disapointed. Losing criticism to things you like is just having a lack of perspective. I think Rich sits on music too long and this should have been released a while ago. It sounds old, thats what probably disapoint some of us. I don't feel normal that everyone know this track, sounds like it was burnt from overplaying by the minus guys.

I still look fwd to the rest of the releases!
the hairy brain
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by the hairy brain »

I think you've hit the nail on the head there pheek.

If sands had been released a year ago before magda and the like played it to death, i'm sure we wouldn't be seeing these reactions, but with the increasing availability of live sets these days everyone gets to hear what dj's are playing so everyone has heard this release a million times. Perhaps this is why the minus crew have stopped people from recording their sets, so they can play all this sh!t months in advance to its release and people won't be so bored of it by the time it finally does come out

For the record i still like sands, but i'm not sure its something I'd play myself.
tettezak
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tettezak »

the hairy brain wrote:I think you've hit the nail on the head there pheek.

If sands had been released a year ago before magda and the like played it to death, i'm sure we wouldn't be seeing these reactions, but with the increasing availability of live sets these days everyone gets to hear what dj's are playing so everyone has heard this release a million times. Perhaps this is why the minus crew have stopped people from recording their sets, so they can play all this sht months in advance to its release and people won't be so bored of it by the time it finally does come out
Although I agree, I don't think this is really the case here. Being bored of a track doesn't make it bad. But judging from some of the reactions, it's about the tracks being bad, not being bored of them.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

tettezak wrote: Although I agree, I don't think this is really the case here. Being bored of a track doesn't make it bad. But judging from some of the reactions, it's about the tracks being bad, not being bored of them.
Don't get me wrong, I believe these tracks would have been great if released 2-3 years ago. Now its just some between tons of others so there's nothing quite memorable there. We all know Houle can do stand-out material but this is not the case. Just bad timing IMHO.

That said, this is my view over this release and you might not agree. But if you'd be A&R at my label and see the tons of demos we get that sound like this (and many are waaaay better), you probably wouldn't be impressed either. :lol:
tettezak
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tettezak »

Yea I can understand that.. And don't get me wrong either, I wasn't blown away or anything by this, but just thought some reactions were just too harsh/exagerated. :P
dj_szerszen'
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dj_szerszen' »

I'm a great fan of Houle and this release is 9/10 for me. I don't understand your dissapointment. Everything what Houle does is sth fresh and interesting among thousands of "congobongo" deep techno tracks :lol:

It's much better than TYPO (only the title track had a nice groove and synth - the rest quite average).

I'm very curious about forthcoming 64 vol 2 and 3 :)
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Listened to some excerpts...
What I just heard taught me something about life: it's so fucking weird.
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

For me it has nothing to do with them being overplayed or whatever. I'd never heard them before listening to the samples and I think they're just bad. The sounds are cheesy to me and it doesn't feel musical at all. And I'm not talking about a lack of melody or harmony or anything - you can still be highly musical with very abstract material.

It's hard for me to accept that people actually love this music, but I can (just). Those that do like it also need to accept that others think it's terrible.