Paying netlabels?

- free art
instabil_netlabel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by instabil_netlabel »

pheek wrote:
instabil_netlabel wrote:
pheek wrote:Happy label = happy artist = better music.
sorry pheek... i´ve alot respect of your works but this idea is to simple... by the way, i´m not sad to produce music for free... far from it!
Actually, that idea NEVER came from me. There is a lot of talks about this issue around me and I'm one of the main people who is FOR free music. Don't get me wrong, I believe in netlabels but I also believe that as a community, we probably can get our artists a bonus to help them out and support them. As for now, Archipel do so by releasing occasionnal physical releases, which is, to me, very fun and exciting even if you lose money doing so. :P

I fwd this thread to some people who want to make changes in their netlabels. I think most of them were talking about selling hi-quality version of the tracks (ex. wav or 320kbps) and still giving music for free. Maybe this discussion will make them think a bit.

But I believe in the ressurection of a system similar to mp3.com... :wink:
ah.
ok... sorry! i´ve got it wrong... damn, my english is terrible!!! ;) i must admit that this discussion is necessary precisely because any netlabels to get into this option. i don´t feel happy about it.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

Nice topic, as most people have said, there needs to be a balance.
I would be more prepared to pay a subscription to community then just for one a release.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Despite my involvement and biases here is my brutally honest response to all of this.

The consumer side of me speaking here -
I will not pay for anything that makes me work for it. I am a human and a product of modern society. I want instant gratification and my time is valuable. If I have to spend five minutes to buy something as opposed to clicking a download link, I have no interest, even if it's life changing music that I love more than anything in the entire world. Call it poor of me, but this is why nobody will ever pay.

I don't want to have to type anything or find and submit information of mine just to get something that I know is there, being withheld just because I haven't done this tedious process yet. Nobody wants this. Maybe once we are in a day when a swipe of a card does it all from home or at the store or anywhere and it all comes from the same place, or a scanning of a little chip or something. We're a lazy people and that's only going to become more true.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

paying for net-labels

Post by steevio »

I posted earlier on this subject, so my feelings on it are already clear, but i must admit i'm finding some of the posts a bit bizarre. Theres one thing which seems to have been overlooked, and that is the fact that someday all music will be sold as digital downloads. it's the only possible outcome.
The production of vinyl and CD's is a dirty, environmentally unsound way of transferring wave data from an artist to a listener. Have you ever been in a pressing plant ? It also relies on oil ! This is totally unsustainable.
I think the other issue here is whether musicians deserve to be paid for their output. Some of you apparently think not. I'm sorry but i cant accept that.
Musicians used to be skilled and highly regarded members of society, however it seems now anyone who can press a random button in some music software can produce a passable tune and bang it out on the net.
The real musicians are getting harder to find, but when i find anything i like, i have no worries about paying something to keep that musician producing. He is doing a job like anyone else, and he has to pay his bills to.
OK i agree with many of the sentiments about how the world revolves around money, but we are not talking about big corporate business here, this is about a musician being able to do what he does best and what he loves, and receive something for his time and effort to keep him doing it.
This doesnt inevitablly mean the demise of the free download net-label, theres plenty of people who are dedicated to that, to keep it alive, but why cant you accept that some musicians who want to make a carreer out of it, need to somehow make a living.
That said, our label will always run a free download service, but once vinyl and CDs are gone, we will have to charge for at least some downloads, we wont have any choice. How else will we keep the two people who work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week to run our label in jobs !
kakanox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kakanox »

At the moment, I'm setting up www.vetdiep.nl with a good friend. What we're planning is sharing 128K MP3's for listening, and selling 320K MP3's or CD's for mixing. 128K WILL breakup when spinned live.

Also we are thinking of shortening the free versions.
:lol:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

adam wrote:Bleep (from Warp) has a wide(ening) selection these days. Pretty diverse.

Anything dance culture related, beatport is the answer.

As for anything else, I am curious to know. EVERYTHING i've ever checked out has been pure sht. If I'm buying MP3s or digital audio, I expect it to be 320 kbps... EVERYONE does VBR or 128, etc which is absolutely pathetic and ridiculous for paying customers. I'm sure with your pop and whatever, the people that listen to that don't know the difference but anyone who's a real music fan does and they are getting ripped off.

So anyone with answers, please share :)
Yo Adam, are you filling out the payment forms there? :P
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: paying for net-labels

Post by dsat »

steevio wrote:I posted earlier on this subject, so my feelings on it are already clear, but i must admit i'm finding some of the posts a bit bizarre. Theres one thing which seems to have been overlooked, and that is the fact that someday all music will be sold as digital downloads. it's the only possible outcome.
The production of vinyl and CD's is a dirty, environmentally unsound way of transferring wave data from an artist to a listener. Have you ever been in a pressing plant ? It also relies on oil ! This is totally unsustainable.
I think the other issue here is whether musicians deserve to be paid for their output. Some of you apparently think not. I'm sorry but i cant accept that.
Musicians used to be skilled and highly regarded members of society, however it seems now anyone who can press a random button in some music software can produce a passable tune and bang it out on the net.
The real musicians are getting harder to find, but when i find anything i like, i have no worries about paying something to keep that musician producing. He is doing a job like anyone else, and he has to pay his bills to.
OK i agree with many of the sentiments about how the world revolves around money, but we are not talking about big corporate business here, this is about a musician being able to do what he does best and what he loves, and receive something for his time and effort to keep him doing it.
This doesnt inevitablly mean the demise of the free download net-label, theres plenty of people who are dedicated to that, to keep it alive, but why cant you accept that some musicians who want to make a carreer out of it, need to somehow make a living.
That said, our label will always run a free download service, but once vinyl and CDs are gone, we will have to charge for at least some downloads, we wont have any choice. How else will we keep the two people who work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week to run our label in jobs !
i've been going through this thread and the most sensible answer came from you steevio
i make music, i spend a lot of money and time doing it... but doing this just for free is simply pointless in the long run,
i don't believe in free music, end of the story
people who think music should be free because they don't have the money to pay for is a bullshit selfish opinion, it's disrespectfull and is very demotivating for any artists who want to achieve something through music (and i'm not talking about fame), music shouldn't be free at all unless it's for promotional purposes, i'm even surprised that people take free music for granted, but then again, they probably don't know the reality behind the struggle to get your music out there and being rewarded for it
(for the record i'm not a capitalist... but neither a communist)
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

pheek wrote:
adam wrote:Bleep (from Warp) has a wide(ening) selection these days. Pretty diverse.

Anything dance culture related, beatport is the answer.

As for anything else, I am curious to know. EVERYTHING i've ever checked out has been pure sht. If I'm buying MP3s or digital audio, I expect it to be 320 kbps... EVERYONE does VBR or 128, etc which is absolutely pathetic and ridiculous for paying customers. I'm sure with your pop and whatever, the people that listen to that don't know the difference but anyone who's a real music fan does and they are getting ripped off.

So anyone with answers, please share :)
Yo Adam, are you filling out the payment forms there? :P
Not sure what you mean... as a customer or a label?
I've purchased a few releases on there.