Minimal scene - locally

- open
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hotpace »

I live 60 miles away from Leeds in the UK which is the closest I get to a minimal fix. The best club is Technique at the Mint Club which luckily for me has Magda as a quarterly resident! Her ONLY residency I think! Shes next up on Sat 17th Sept with Troy Pierce. Will be an evil night! :twisted:

Also sometimes Back to Basics in Leeds has minimal DJ's on. M.A.N.D.Y. were on in June (but I missed em! Doh!) and Tiefschwarz were on and are back again in November I think. Berlins only 90 mins away though from Newcastle airport so thats quite easily accessible as well. And cheap!

Theres worse places in the world to be for the minimal scene I suppose. Most of America and Australia/NZ for instance!
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

roebin de freitas wrote:hehe I'm not sure what "fried" means in this context but it's like food.
Lot's of people like steak, but not everybody likes it rare :)

fried as in really weird music.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Fantastic topic Pheek.

Detroit Community:

Occasional djs / events. dropping more minimal as of late vs. several years ago. I think this year minimal has more support than it’s ever had. There are several small groups doing monthly’s at different / random / non-(club:club) venues as well.

Oslo : -small sushi restaurant that hold about 50 upstairs and apx 250ish downstairs. goes late. (4-5 a.m.ish) has had some fantastic nights since it's some what recent opening.

Masonic Temple / Corktown Tavern: Pub format - occasional events / The Works - monthly / Forans: Irish Pub - monthly.

Not accounting for the DEMF/MOVEMENT/IN-FUSE weekends. @ Envy where you played jp doesn't ever have minimal nights so it was a nice change.
astro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by astro »

alfox wrote:here in uruguay the mnml scene is flourishing these days...but still is kind of trivial as we are such a small country

however, we have some local djs and a sort of "mnml club" ('Sonic'), who are trying to bring some international djs... in fact, someone else has a gig there next september...
we r really looking forward to that night :twisted:
true.
listen....about sean :!: ....can you add some info? is it for sure?
zero.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

I'm living in a small town in sweden with approx. 50.000 citizens, not much minimal stuff going on here either. me, my friend which I compose stuff with from time to time and one dj pretty much sums it up.

but we got very good club life when it comes to "usual" techno/house for being such a small town. alot of known swedish dj's are playing here (joel mull, thomas krome etc.) on a monthly basis so I'm not complaining really...

the near-by town which got approx. the same amount of citizens (and which is the town which I'm from originally from btw) got the worst clublife you could imagine, and got the 3'rd highest ratio of criminality in Sweden or something like that.

...so I'm glad I've ended up here anyway ;)
fun tasia
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fun tasia »

i live in athens, greece. I am afraid I have admit the minimal scene is not too big here either. It depends though on what you can minimal. For exaple i wouldn't call M.A.N.D.Y. or Ellen Alien minimal..right? So, as far the more precise definition of the term goes I am afraid at the time being we count only 3 djs playing stuff like Pokerflat, Tuning Spork, Playhouse, M-nus and all the relevant. The guys are Mr. Statik, Lostra and Thodoris Triandafillou. The last two comprise the duo "Novox" (check the Ware release) and the first two the duo "Lego". The only place (until this present momonet) they can play (because there aren't any other places) are the club "Luv" and the space of "Bios". For sure though they are really good in what they are doing, so thank god we have at least them. They all performed at the Synch festival this year.
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

I live in portsmouth UK

Theres a small scene here... I know about 5 or 6 people who are really into their minimal music... theres quite a lot of other electronic music around... but not much minimal, and certainly no minimal only nights..

as for DJs who play minimal in portsmouth and actually play out... as far as I know theres myself, downstairs_pete (sometimes), violenski and Dave Roberston does some tech-house stuff...

but its mostly me who's ended up holding the minimal flag, mostly :)

the thing is when I played closing set at a club last month, I started off with algoritmo - indus, a marc houle track, andre galluzzi, guido schnieder etc and people were dancing a lot...

I think sometimes people like minimal even if they don't know what it is :)
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

lisbon's minimal life is very healthy, and steadily growing. the clubs are generally good, and foreign artists, i.e. michal mayer, matthew dear, thomas brinkmann, jake fairley, dominik eulberg etc. all play here regularly, and even the local minimal deejays can also be found having good slots these days. the downside is the lack of labels, there are none so far in the whole country, which i find fairly odd to begin with. there are many artists here making good quality minimal music, yet, in order to release their music the only way is to search for foreign labels, which is kind of sad.
anyway, for party purposes lisbon is really good, i warmly recommend it as a place to visit for all the minimal clubbers.