What constitutes "boring" minimal?

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Celltek wrote:Isnt boring a result of pushing known material which is easily absorbed and anticipated? I cannot believe that a new and innovating idea be boring, ever. Boring in my oppinion is the thousand and one producers who try to replicate existing concepts created by others.

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: Gaiser = Boring
Gaiser created the ultimate minimal groove and others followed. Producers copied and wore out the sound. Then some other guys raped it, stabbed it, revitalised it and fucked it over again. And you are saying Gaiser is boring?? Think again buddy!
Gaiser is boring imo; in terms of technical skill hes without doubt one of the best producers in dance music, very organic, rounded sound, but i just dont 'feel' his music; its all personal taste my man, its all subjective, and thus nothing can be described as boring or amazing or anything without subsequenlty stating it is a personal view... thats why i like music in general, i find it interesting how ppl like this tune and not that one, and i wonder whether its cultural, genetic, why it changes etc.... but who cares really...

different strokes for different folks...
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Stephan Bodzin is probably one of my favorites of NOT BORING producers. He uses interesting pads and automation to change the moods as the track flows bringing intesity and emotion up and down. You can really tell he spends ALOT of time on most of his songs.

Bodzin is a great producer, but he doesn't make minimal techno.

This comment isn't aimed at anyone...I've said it before and I'll say it again, techno (esp minimal) is made to be mixed. Some tracks are made to be tools and some are made to be played out in full. Maybe the producers aren't conscious of this, but as a DJ I sure am. To judge a track solely of its own accord is fine, but it may turn into a real gem if it's mixed with the right track.
Andre schrama
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Andre schrama »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Gaiser = Boring

Martin Buttrich = God

Marc Houle = shite

Thomas melchior = inspiring

This is my opinion btw, and what do i know?
all of this artists are making inspiring music.

like how many people try to make the same sound as gaiser? MANY.
and hes absolutly not boring to me.

and you said you dont feel the music.
well gaiser is the best producer for me i really feel his music.

but music is like food... the one likes fish the other one doesnt like it :D
Andre schrama
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Andre schrama »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Gaiser = Boring

Martin Buttrich = God

Marc Houle = shite

Thomas melchior = inspiring

This is my opinion btw, and what do i know?
all of this artists are making inspiring music.

like how many people try to make the same sound as gaiser? MANY.
and hes absolutly not boring to me.

and you said you dont feel the music.
well gaiser is the best producer for me in the world.
i really feel his music.

but music is like food... you like fish and i hate fish :D
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

jessejames wrote:
Stephan Bodzin is probably one of my favorites of NOT BORING producers. He uses interesting pads and automation to change the moods as the track flows bringing intesity and emotion up and down. You can really tell he spends ALOT of time on most of his songs.

This comment isn't aimed at anyone...I've said it before and I'll say it again, techno (esp minimal) is made to be mixed. Some tracks are made to be tools and some are made to be played out in full. Maybe the producers aren't conscious of this, but as a DJ I sure am. To judge a track solely of its own accord is fine, but it may turn into a real gem if it's mixed with the right track.
A great point regarding some of the music people would find boring.

Example: Funkatron - In Du Lona
Amazing track to mix, but you'd only play this standing alone for 3 minutes if you wanted to kill the dance floor.
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

communikey.us/festival - Boulder Electronic Music Festival April '08
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

ano.phi wrote:
jessejames wrote:

A great point regarding some of the music people would find boring.

Example: Funkatron - In Du Lona
Amazing track to mix, but you'd only play this standing alone for 3 minutes if you wanted to kill the dance floor.
I agree with the use of songs like this as tools to be mixed with but alot of mixes I hear the songs being played for 5 minutes before mixing.

If you mixing in and out of these loopy tracks every two minutes your changing the sound constantly which in essence is the same as playing songs that arent just a looped groove.

Maybe the focus should be that djs need to stop thinking that just because a repetitive loopy track is seven minutes long, they should be playing the entire seven minutes. Many minimal mixes bore the living sh!t out of me for this reason.

Also if the tracks were meant as tools they probably wouldn't average 7 minutes in length.
Nordin
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Nordin »

S.D.L wrote:Speaking of good vocals Victor.., check out the new Heinrichs & Hirtenfeller track 'Free'. That's what I call a nice vocal!
that vocal sample was taken from http://freesound.iua.upf.edu. I was actually pretty surprised and disappointed when i realized this after listening...
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

interesting topic here. This is something that also needs to be in a context i guess. I think i understand what people mean by some music being boring, i have to agree that a lot of producers mentionned, i also find boring.

But the real question, tome, is: boring when?

- Some music i find boring in my studio, sound so cool in my car or in a club. A good exemple for me here is Maurizio. I LOVE his stuff in a club but somehow, i cant listen to it at home, i get so bored.

- Some music I love in studio, I dont like it in a club. Some stuff from Ricardo is a good exemple. Sometimes it feels too long for club play.
you need the perfect timing.

- A lot of the usual minimal clickety click (ei. minus stuff), i just CANT stand it. But when i DJ, i really like to use them as a layer. Again, its a matter of timing and use.

I just thought i wanted to bring my view on this subject :wink: