5 , 4 , 3 ... techno

- open
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

[quote="Celltek"]More, fusions btwn Electro/minimal/house and perhaps hip-hop!??
Think about it, in a few years the States will catch up to Europe and they definitely throw some hip-hop in their techno, no? Just a thought../quote]

Already happened it's called Glitchhop which can go well with minimal tracks.
vrejulf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by vrejulf »

--
Papillon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Papillon »

New Guy wrote:
i think dance music will become much much slower, more hypnotising and much much more musical.
yes, that's what I hope, too. At least the "musical" turn is what I am really looking forward to. We need much more emotional (not trancy) and discrete music. I am a little bit bored by all that track music (I would call it ableton clip music), that leads just nowhere.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

JackNine wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote:ur kidding right? Electric shock (loosing control/baby judy whatnot) is not hard? :) then why am I allways dancing like it seems I'm gonna loose my limbs then? No house music can do that. (Ok theres that sht called hard-house but thats allmost trance and just wont do)
I'm sorry house music can't make you dance. You're really missing out if you can only dance to techno. ^_^

But it's definitely not hard, man. Look at the BPMs on those tracks. Sure, the sounds and waveforms were "edgy" but I don't think I'd describe that as "hard techno." In fact the early DBX stuff was notorious (in Chicago at least) for showing up in pure house sets. The BPM was in-line. The sounds were stripped and ghetto-ish. It had that perfect crossover.

In that same timeframe, hard techno was the stuff where the BPMs were above 135 and everything had distorted 909 kicks with open hi-hats on the 3, 7, 11 and 15. Like the early Speedy J stuff. That's hard.
hey it seems u didn't understand at all what I was saying. I can easily dance to house music (in fact, that daniel bell set @ tallinn last weekend was allmost exclusively house and it was perfect! I was talking about that hard-house sht). And also I didn't say that dbx is hard-techno, how did u come up with that? I said it's just hard (as opposed to soft, easy-going), stripped down sht, compared to most house music. Understand now?

RC
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
bleupulp
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by bleupulp »

in 5 years techno wont exist anymore since the planet will be submerged by the poles that melted

remember the movie water world ??

:P
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

Papillon wrote:
New Guy wrote:
i think dance music will become much much slower, more hypnotising and much much more musical.
yes, that's what I hope, too. At least the "musical" turn is what I am really looking forward to. We need much more emotional (not trancy) and discrete music. I am a little bit bored by all that track music (I would call it ableton clip music), that leads just nowhere.
i'm looking for the same thing.
that's why i loved the last Caribou record :)
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I think Techno will become more melodic in the next few years as well as backing off of all the bullshit super compression we've been hearing. Peoples ears get tired of hearing music without dynamics for extended periods of time. Once we stop pushing tracks so hard onto vinyl you'll see more complex tracks out there where it's not only about melody and rhythm, it's about volume builds and dynamics as well. I think it will become melodic again when people realise why techno became big enough to support artists in the first place, because the music was melodic and catchy when it started. That's what drew people in. The crowd is leaving fast and somebody is bound to catch on to the reason sooner or later.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Torque wrote:The crowd is leaving fast and somebody is bound to catch on to the reason sooner or later.
excellent words my friends..

I think you said it best when......the folks out there (should) be trying to bring in new ears......(not) shun them away...

meaning: at least from my woods....it seems more people are focused on keeping the same 10 ppl that show up to parties happy ....and are rude to the new people vs. having open arms...

when I first went to parties in 94.. ... you would not even know people...and they would take care of you.. they were happy you came out to their (family) gathering... it was home and an escape for human beings of all creeds & colors..

somewhere along the line... it stopped being about the music (again)... and the people will react... the artists / labels are the ones that will suffer over other's personal choices..

I think it's had a big rush of downtempo... music.. I think it will get even more down tempo... dare I say.... it will then be attracted to more radio stations...

since that rush ... I also think the people's ears and the producers will also require/demand different music as well... harder / abstract / trip hop / & even ambient may come back full circle ... people can always sit on their releases if the market is not ready..

case in point: jeff samual's - lost track...made in like 2000 with 6 samples... re-released again.... :)

Im excited to be alive to see the growth in this musical culture... I"m excited that.... slowly I see friends living off their talent...

Im excited to see more and more people push...to make music their living even here in detroit...