politics of acquiring unreleased music

- open
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Michael^Heaven »

dsat wrote: the new generation of kids don't seem to understand that we had to fight for our music, but now everything is taken for granted... 'respect' is just a cool expression without any meaning
Agreed!
stevësto wrote:im 31. its not a generation thing, its the environment you live in i think.
I firmly believe that it is a generational issue. Prior, to the ability of downloading tracks & file sharing, this was not such a problem. When you had to get off your ass, go to the record store, & dig through 100s of records to maybe find 1-5 that fit your sound or grabbed you by the balls, it was a whole different ballgame, so to speak. Now, it's just all too easy for the younger generation to steal music online.
vrejulf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by vrejulf »

Michael^Heaven wrote:
I firmly believe that it is a generational issue. Prior, to the ability of downloading tracks & file sharing, this was not such a problem. When you had to get off your ass, go to the record store, & dig through 100s of records to maybe find 1-5 that fit your sound or grabbed you by the balls, it was a whole different ballgame, so to speak. Now, it's just all too easy for the younger generation to steal music online.
now that's labour :?
never thought about how much the industry simplified in the past decade or so .
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

My stance on this is that if a songs good enough for me to play then it's worth the £1.49 that beatport charge for it.

I don't feel to strongly on the matter I wouldn't shun or look down on someone that "steals" music, but I do think if your a working DJ & your playing music in public you should be only playing legally aquired tracks!

what about downloading tracks that will never be released?

Plastikman - Sickness (Guido Schneider Remix) for example

I really wanted this track in the early part of this year, only to find out it would never be released. (I only played vinyl then so downloading music wasn't an option) would I have been as wrong to download this knowing that no record company/ producer/ distributer or anyone would lose anything be me having this mp3? it's just I wouldn't have had permission from the artist that created it.
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: politics of acquiring unreleased music

Post by pheek »

stevësto wrote:
pheek wrote: Do you feel better now that you shared your point of view?
i think i know what you mean by that. you're saying im justifying my immoral action as to not feel bad about what i know is wrong, to compensate for the guilt i feel deep inside. correct? then i could say the same to you: you are saying your point of view to feel better about hiding the truth you know deep inside. the truth that at some point early in your dj/whatever career, you did the same thing too. ok i dont know that for a fact personally you, but im sure most producers, before they became producers, "improperly" acquired unreleased music at some point.

there are also a lot (ok i dont know how many, ive met only like 5 produers in my whole life) of producers that really, really, really dont care about the money. producers who do this in their spare time, as a hobby, and have a day job. they are doing it purely for the fun of it. i met a few at burning man for example (i thought of bm because im going again next week). There, they have this public domain philosophy with art where art can never be bought or sold, there is no form of currency, only trades, and even that is very very much optional. but i digress. bottom line, you have your opinion, other producers may not feel the same, or if they do agree, not give two shits to soapbox or actually do something about it like post. you can present yourself as the laid back free bird type, or the lars ulrich of metallica type. whatever, im rambling.

the other truth i think is being hidden inside by producers is how hard or how much time it takes to make a track. i have read interviews where the guy who made a well known hit said he made it in a weekend start to finish. perhaps he doesnt care if people are playing his unreleased track, but the guy who slaves thousands of hours will if someone plays his. sometimes a really good track doesnt take a lot of time to make.

so with those "truths", i ask you the same question, do you feel better now that you shared your point of view. i'll answer that question with i didn't feel guilty in the first place the last time i acquired an unreleased track. it was like a month ago. some guy came in from orlando and i asked him what track that was, he handed me the cd, all it said on it with a sharpie was "heater". when i handed it back he said keep it. had no idea it was unreleased. how the hell am i supposed to know. jeez.

so i dont know what to tell you "samim". ummm, sorry. can i get you a beer or something when you're in town? (if samim were to ever read this)
I'm sorry man but this is one of the most ridiculous thing I've read here in a long time. Have you ever read what I said???

Did you know I've been releasing my music for free since 1999?
Did you know I've been doing conferences in 5 countries about how free music is the key to promotion?

I'm asking for tiny bit of respect here, it's not much. I'll just say the same thing in other words with a few more details in hope you will understand my point of view.

If there's one guy that is not making music for money, it's me. I do it because I love it but I also spend LOADS of time in my work and there's some things that bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive, people will still share music whatever I say/post, because it's there and easy to do. People don't care about who's behind a song, about the story of a song and any emotional background.

They want the goddamn song. Now.

What I said and will say over and over is: it pisses me off when people share a track I did that would be on the verge of being signed and it doesn't because everyone is sharing it.

Once its released, share it. I dont care. It's cool. It's part of the game and I have no control over it.

But when it's not there yet and you share it, I pay for it. Maybe in the end, it can be a good thing for 140 djs who had really good gigs but my track could have been on 12" and 500 other djs wont get it then.

Now reading you, you're justifying yourself on and on, even accusing me of doing the same thing as you. That's non sense. Seems like it just prooves my point: you can't be responsible of your own acts, it's much easier to blame the artists... for making the music. :roll:
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Yeah I imagine it could really hurt the big name producers.

Sucks you gotta be so carefull with who you give stuff to. If I was signed to a big label I wouldn't let ANYONE have the full track except the label. Maybe just share clips.

I think the people lucky enough to get their hands on legit pre release material that share it without permission are dicks. I thinks it's more their fault for breaking the trust given to them by the artist or label that owns the track.

I am on the critical rhythm/baroque promo pool and Id never share those
songs before their release. It's just wrong.
Last edited by victorgonzales on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

victorgonzales wrote:Yeah I imagine it could really hurt the big name producers.

Sucks you gotta be so carefull with who you give stuff to. If I was signed to a big label I wouldn't let ANYONE have the full track except the label. Maybe just share clips.
The thing here is, i'm not a *big name producer* nor want to aspire to be one. I just like doing music and there's people out there who thankfully appreciate it too. One of the way to reach them is to record my music on vinyl as a project. It's not only fun to do, it's a great project too. But it costs money to do and if we can't put the money to make it happen, we'll have to stop. That's why sharing the unreleased material of an artist can be a kick in the balls. It hurts.

But a lot of people don't give a damn because they will justify their act with tons of reasons and will just try to make you think you're wrong. It's really easy to say/do when you're just on one face of this picture. It's also extremely annoying.

Anyway. I said what I had to say (again).
I'm out.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

dsat wrote: the new generation of kids don't seem to understand that we had to fight for our music, but now everything is taken for granted... 'respect' is just a cool expression without any meaning
Kids Suck!!!
vrejulf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by vrejulf »

"Damn it "Peter" that hurt !! "