drum layer tutorials links + self made

- ask away
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

I like pitching up a already bright snare and making a hi hat out of it.

Am I the first to think of this????.......
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Keagan wrote:I like pitching up a already bright snare and making a hi hat out of it.

Am I the first to think of this????.......
nope
msfilter
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by msfilter »

when layering drums its important to figure out exactly which frequencies you want the particular drum to hit, and EQ each layer so that when put together, the whole range of frequencies is hit equally.
For the best uses of this technique its probably best to listen to some dancefloor d&b like Pendulum. The music is commercially orientated, but if you can get past that the drum sounds, especially the snares, are AWESOME.
And you might even learn something.
Basically the point of layering is to beef up not the specific drum sound, but the tune as a whole. Try running a frequency analyzer on your master track, and layering drum sounds to any missing or lacking frequencies.

And for the love of god make sure the samples you use are good in the first place or it WILL sound rubbish.

As a side point maybe we ought to think about censoring the word minimal from ALL posts to avoid confrontation.
bitz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bitz »

maybe i should use my freq inspectore more serious, i alway just used for check my single tracks, never the master. i should take more time for the mixdown ..