how technological is techno?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

tzusing wrote:
D-vinyl wrote:surely someone like martin buttrich or audiofly absolutely wipes the floor clean with anything drum and bass can produce? :?
wipes the floor clean as in...no one is left dancing cuz it sucks so much?
ha ha :P
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

New Guy wrote:now heres another thought, how Techno is Technology? :P

i would say it's very techno. but it depends what technology were taking about.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I think this music is on the cutting edge. Not only because of the sound which is already unique but because of the methods we all use. Think about it for a second. When the guitar was invented the principal of how it was used is almost unchanged today. This technology we use to make electronic music through its active improvement with the music making community around it will eventually change the way all music is made forever. You all have a hand in perfecting the next "instrument" that will set the tone for future societies. Making this music with this technology is heroic. You might as well be flying to the moon or exploring the universe everytime you make something new with this equipment. Everytime something new is made you take a step in exploring new possibilities. You are more likely to stumble across a new method doing this than you ever would be with any other instrument.

"When the modes of the music change in society, the walls of the city shake."-----Plato
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Does it have to even be technological? Suppose it depends on what your going for if your making experimental sounds and taking things to the extreme then you need to be on teh cutting edge of technology to get those new sounds but if your making techno for the dancefloor it doesnt matter so long as its got a groove and gets people dancing who cares.

Theres an excellent interview with Villalobos in this months Wire magazine. He makes most of his tracks by going into his basement studio, hitting record and playing his percussion for a few hours recording everything, how technological is that?? Yet his productions always sound unique and cutting edge.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:I think this music is on the cutting edge. Not only because of the sound which is already unique but because of the methods we all use. Think about it for a second. When the guitar was invented the principal of how it was used is almost unchanged today. This technology we use to make electronic music through its active improvement with the music making community around it will eventually change the way all music is made forever. You all have a hand in perfecting the next "instrument" that will set the tone for future societies. Making this music with this technology is heroic. You might as well be flying to the moon or exploring the universe everytime you make something new with this equipment. Everytime something new is made you take a step in exploring new possibilities. You are more likely to stumble across a new method doing this than you ever would be with any other instrument.

"When the modes of the music change in society, the walls of the city shake."-----Plato
i totally agree with you, i gave up as a guitarist after 15 years because when i realised the potential of the new technology that was becoming available at the dawn of techno, and the infinite possibilties, i knew that i was sorted for the rest of my life. now i see my studio as an ever-evolving instrument and one that is my own to master. i know that there is nobody else in the world with the same instrument, we are all out there building and mastering our own machines. this really is the cutting edge, and we are all part of it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

G3rard wrote:Does it have to even be technological? Suppose it depends on what your going for if your making experimental sounds and taking things to the extreme then you need to be on teh cutting edge of technology to get those new sounds but if your making techno for the dancefloor it doesnt matter so long as its got a groove and gets people dancing who cares.

Theres an excellent interview with Villalobos in this months Wire magazine. He makes most of his tracks by going into his basement studio, hitting record and playing his percussion for a few hours recording everything, how technological is that?? Yet his productions always sound unique and cutting edge.
i see your point mate, but dont agree that taking things to the extreme making experimental sounds is the only way to be cutting edge.
and i definitely care that techno is much more than just a groove to make you dance. i think thats the problem with alot of bland dance music i hear thats rehashing the same old grooves. whats wrong with the concept of being cutting edge with your grooves ? its very difficult for a drummer to be cutting edge, because of his physical limitations, not so with technology.
we have been trying imitate the rock drumkit for far too long in dance music, i'm tired of it, i want to hear innovation in rhythm, technology gives us that opportunity.
ricardo has his own way, but he's just one guy, and he will be using plenty of technology to record, arrange his compositions and polish them. he's a great advert for the potential diversity of technological music.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Stevieo I totally agree with you, to be cutting edge I think its more about the ideas that the person comes up with and was just pointing out that you dont have to use technology to be cutting edge. Theres no rules and thats why house and techno is so great. I just think that music for the dancefloor shouldnt get too far up its own arse, its made to be danced to not bore the tits off you.

Plus Ive just noticed your from Wales, good to see a fellow Welsh man (Merthyr born and bred :oops: ) taking his house and techno seriously :wink:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

G3rard wrote:Stevieo I totally agree with you, to be cutting edge I think its more about the ideas that the person comes up with and was just pointing out that you dont have to use technology to be cutting edge. Theres no rules and thats why house and techno is so great. I just think that music for the dancefloor shouldnt get too far up its own arse, its made to be danced to not bore the tits off you.

Plus Ive just noticed your from Wales, good to see a fellow Welsh man (Merthyr born and bred :oops: ) taking his house and techno seriously :wink:
hey mate, point taken, unfortunately i'm not a Welshman, i'm a heathen Geordie, but glad to have been living in your beautiful country for the last 8 years.
are you coming to our festival in september ? its just round the corner from you in Powys.
check it out
http://www.freerotation.com
this is a real cutting edge dance music festival, and all the music is indoors in Baskerville Hall, ( Sherlock Holmes 'Hound of the Baskervilles') so you wont get muddy. we've hand picked some of the best underground deep techno, house, dubstep etc. producers from around europe and beyond.