- open
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

trak660 wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
trak660 wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote:That's a lot more mediocre records than I remembered!

but seriously..

we all know james brown existed so shitty house producers and run-o-the-mill homegrown rapstars could learn how to sample
You obviously have very little knowledge of hip hop, so please don't knock some of it's greatest songs. :roll:

...anyhow

Thanks James Brown for letting us steal all of your wonderful music.
No style of dance music is free from at least a little bit of your influence.
it's true. in fact, it was only a guess that he was sampled by hip hop / rap / whatever music. well... not completely.. everyone's sampled him. and i know enough about hip hop to say i don't like it. and also that it used to take some talent.
The list posted by JNX contains some of the most talented hip hop acts ever. I'm very familiar with many of those songs. I know what I'm talking about.
The producers who made those tracks paved the way for what we do. Without them, we wouldn't even be having this stupid conversation because this message board would not exist.
i'm not denying - i admitted to not knowing much about it.. my commentary was simply implying that the guys doing stuff today aren't talented like some of the people involved in the earlier stuff.. my original post more directly about james brown being sampled by them was just a joke.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

In the late '80s and early '90s, sampling James Brown was as common as using click sounds for hi-hats today.
Hardcore/drum and bass also got it's start using breaks from James brown. Anyone who's seriously into sample-based music knows how many good breaks can be found in his music.

.....which brings me to another point.

LA Style's track, "James Brown Is Dead," is all about how played out the sound became by the '90s. They weren't making fun of The Godfather. Listen to the words.

I'm not mad. I have to deal with people who hate hip hop all the time. Can you blame them, though? Artistically, it's really gone downhill. I haven't bought much new hip hop since about 1995.
8)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

trak660 wrote:
I'm not mad. I have to deal with people who hate hip hop all the time. Can you blame them, though? Artistically, it's really gone downhill. I haven't bought much new hip hop since about 1995.
8)

no sh!t man? you should check dimlite!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

European hip hop is still "keeping it real!"

The U.S. hip hop scene has been reduced to mostly gangsta rap and guys who dress like golf caddies. :roll: Oh yeah, I almost forgot the trustafarian hip hoppers. Not much good American hip hop these days.
perik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by perik »

trak660 wrote: I'm not mad. I have to deal with people who hate hip hop all the time. Can you blame them, though? Artistically, it's really gone downhill. I haven't bought much new hip hop since about 1995.
8)
thats true. some fun stuff had been done thou (co flow, can ox, uk grime) i was into hiphop before but really bored with it.. nowdays i can´t stand or the attitude hip hop people have..

rip james