live from our bedrooms

- open
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Ok, cool, cheers for re:explaining, I understand now, so a better way of putting it would perhaps be,

"lets have some balls out , live mixes with no edits and post production."

i don't think these need to be or should be seperated from any other mix, just put something along those lines in the blurb when posting it.

at the end of the day , it's the vibe, track selection, attitude, presentation, associated good memories (if it's say recorded in a club) that's important, who cares if it was done digitally or not, I always release digital mixes, purely because that way I can play my own stuff/netlabel stuff etc, ableton doesn't mix the tracks for me and it takes quite some time to loop/setup all the tracks, setup the channels to work in a way suitable for the mix, then I have to mix the tracks together, not all are quantised the same, there are bits that might still clash, and I often mix up loops from up to four different tracks whilst letting a main track play, I always record in one take with no edits, I just compress the overall mix, maximise it, and fire it straight out with a tracklisting and some artwork.

so why is this not as good as one guy playing 2 turntables and a dj mixer, playing other peoples music.

And more importantly, why should the 2 be seperated, this is 2006, the music we listen to is technology based, if ur still using 2 turntables and a mixer and complaining that other folk are smokin ya with digital gear - , like I say - to the bedroom/back of the smokey old pub with you :)

LOL

sorry - the tone of this is tongue and cheek, I really don't wanna come across as dissin' anyone, I like mixing with turntables like anyone else - it's fun, but I'd never analyse music on the basis of wether it was presented in one way over another - it's silly.

But I do think that some folk have got the wrong end of the stick with digital mixing, if done correctly, it's as valid a medium as turntablism IMO, and no - it doesn't do it for you.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

totally agree.
I just don't get this where the f ppl get the idea that when its digital - the computer does everything for you. like wtf :?

[sarcasm]when its on vinyl, its allready done by somebody for u. U just have to mix the tracks together - easy aint it. Instead make your own music with sticks and stones and stuff and then its really something, innit[/sarcasm]
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Robot Criminal wrote:totally agree.
I just don't get this where the f ppl get the idea that when its digital - the computer does everything for you. like wtf :?
Agree too. And digital doesn't mean perfect, you still can mess things up, computer or not.
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

The creativity of the dj is what count's in a club, not the way of playing the music if you ask me.

For example: A "real" dj who's using normal analog vinyl can play the most boring set ever, and maybe a Traktor/Ableton Live "fake" dj can play the stars from heaven and take you on a trip you never bin before....

When you are drugged/drunk at a party you don't care at all, you just want to dance to the tracks you like. And you want to hear weird combinations of tracks etc etc etc...
'gameover'
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 'gameover' »

i saw a lot of djs working with FS, watching the time marker on the spectre analyzer just to make an easier beatmatching. LAME!!
the latency SUCKS, it will never be the same as it is with vinyls, never used the SSL or the FS2 but, they say that on their websites, i prefer a couple of cdj1000mk2 than playing some crappy mp3 and sht on a laptop.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

'gameover' wrote:i saw a lot of djs working with FS, watching the time marker on the spectre analyzer just to make an easier beatmatching. LAME!!
the latency SUCKS, it will never be the same as it is with vinyls, never used the SSL or the FS2 but, they say that on their websites, i prefer a couple of cdj1000mk2 than playing some crappy mp3 and sht on a laptop.
Alright.
And I guess you saw way more people using the analog way and some of them sucked as well, no?
Ain't we supposed to speak about music?
I don't give a sh!t about this vinyl thing, that special sound or wtf, all I can say is that, analog or digital, it's about creativity and sensibility, call it what you want.
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

'gameover' wrote:i saw a lot of djs working with FS, watching the time marker on the spectre analyzer just to make an easier beatmatching. LAME!!.
So? still it's the human hand that has to keep the records in sync.
'gameover' wrote:the latency SUCKS, it will never be the same as it is with vinyls.
On a Mac the latency is almost zero.
'gameover' wrote:never used the SSL or the FS2.
You have no right of speaking unless you tested it yourself for some hours.
'gameover' wrote: i prefer a couple of cdj1000mk2 than playing some crappy mp3 and sht on a laptop.
cd's also use crappy MP3's/Wave's ;)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Ok, cool, cheers for re:explaining, I understand now, so a better way of putting it would perhaps be,

"lets have some balls out , live mixes with no edits and post production."
hahaha.

i've been back and forth with fighting this due to cost. getting a laptop and software based program to give me the option to mix into dj sets.

and inregards to the whole beatport thing as well. * buying mp3 direct..

last night my buddy tells me he got 18 tracks for 31 bucks.... (WHAT).. and put in a 15 min ricardo track he got for like 2 something..

considering more and more are getting into the mp3 downloads.. legal or not .....and more and more are happy to buy just the track they like...

I almost feel this is a happy medium for once. where customers can buy mp3's ... djs can play (anything) and not be restricted. artist get played, heard, and the main source is working with the label ...

[eveyone wins].

i'm sure a few of our favorite artists have a few gold mine gems... that are only mp3 releases. some of the most illest tracks are mp3's and not pressed...in my opinion.

until seth and I got to share a very special mix for the first time using mp3.. let's just say... seth broke down and bought sorrotto (sp)... * similar to final scratch.... still using the old fashion turn tables..

good picture in the 1st page to display to the poster about final scratch..by the way.. :)

some stuff doesn't make it to the stages of pressing.. a LOT of good things..

so if you stay on only vinyl you do miss out. as the stories come in.. try lugging around a 10 hour set (in records) and having to pay the (extra) cost in traveling...

*not fun* I can only imagine..

imo: of course collect the vinyl when you can... but to have both is more or less to network ...(every) and (all) instead of just what made it to the pressing plant..

slight different with software mixing and using software to mix you mp3 on tables.

for the record one of the dopest mixes I ever heard was done via software mixing.

in the end it's just another man/womans expression and creation...