Beatport - The backlash!!

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

isabella wrote:beatport is too expensive
Why is that you guys here in this thread don't want to pay 2$ for a track?
I mean, really it can't be too much? Should it all just be free netlabels, and then you would all be happy?

I understand that there's a problem when a record with 4 tracks becomes more expensive on Beatport than the actual 12" release. I think they should do something about that.

IMO Kompakt MP3 is too cheap. Please consider that the shop takes 50%, the last 50% is to be split between the label and the artist(s) (depending on the deals artists/labels have with each other, but this is the most common).
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hotpace »

patrick bateman wrote:
IMO Kompakt MP3 is too cheap. Please consider that the shop takes 50%, the last 50% is to be split between the label and the artist(s) (depending on the deals artists/labels have with each other, but this is the most common).
Who the hell are YOU to keep on bleating about Kompakt being TOO cheap!? They are not idiots at Kompakt and have been around a sh!t lot longer than Beatport. I think THEY might know whats cheap, whats expensive and whats decent value. They've gone down the decent value route and have PROVED that selling mp3s online CAN be done at that price whilsty still obviously MAKING money!

And to Adams post above: you are talking about Beatport as if they are the only company that are doing what they are doing. Comparing them as steaks to hamburgers! What are Kompakt (for example) doing wrong in your opinion?? They distribute loads of labels as well.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

patrick bateman wrote:I understand that there's a problem when a record with 4 tracks becomes more expensive on Beatport than the actual 12" release. I think they should do something about that.
When the record is cheaper than the mp3 release then there's something wrong. That's what I mean :wink:
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Here's something I thought about recently about the whole "price of MP3" bizness, have any of you read any of the veritable essays creeping about on archive.org about the whole - we're going to start getting charged for the lisencing of encoding etc. Do you think maybe some of these labels are taking that into account and preparing themselves or even now - paying lisencing on this sort of thing ?

I haven't followed the whole thing as closely as I should recently , but it doesn't look good for netlabels/paysites in terms of - If they don't move to ogg or similar format - it may mean them getting into trouble for issuing MP3's without any kind of lisencing on the encoding.

It would be interesting to see if this does in fact have an impact on the pricing.

As someone who works with the games/software industry - I have sympathy for the folk that have invented this cool method of encoding (epending on your view of MP3's of course - a lot of folk think they are satans spawn)

At the same time - as someone who runs a netlabel - I'd hate to get burned and charged lots of money to give music to people for free.

But back on topic, could this perhaps have an impact on pricing - I know that the whole process of lisencing music online is a far more complicated process than I ever imagined, so technically these people are doing the same amount of work to bring this music to folk, so why should there be a difference in price if the quality and effort remain the same ?, going online brings as many overheads as cutting vinyl as far as I'm aware when all of these factors are brought into account I'd guess - perhaps not, but It would be good to get a better idea for sake of this discussion.

Anyway - just a thought - I'm still forming an opinion on this and would be interested to know what others more informed than myself think on this ?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

http://www.detroitdigitalvinyl.com/

Sorry, i couldn't pass up a chance to plug my own mp3 site :)

We've never turned anybody away because thier label wasn't big enough. However we will turn somebody away if the music isn't up to competition with the other labels we carry. Every new label that we sign has to go though a listening process where we pick the EP's we want. We havn't dealt with Minimal as much as Detroit Techno but we wouldn't throw a good EP away.

As far as artist royalties go most mp3 sites have a system based upon the same sort of agreements that you would get on iTunes.

If you think you have music that can make the cut just drop an e-mail to:
admin@detroitdigitalvinyl.com
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Torque wrote:Image
http://www.detroitdigitalvinyl.com/

Sorry, i couldn't pass up a chance to plug my own mp3 site :)

We've never turned anybody away because thier label wasn't big enough. However we will turn somebody away if the music isn't up to competition with the other labels we carry. Every new label that we sign has to go though a listening process where we pick the EP's we want. We havn't dealt with Minimal as much as Detroit Techno but we wouldn't throw a good EP away.

As far as artist royalties go most mp3 sites have a system based upon the same sort of agreements that you would get on iTunes.

If you think you have music that can make the cut just drop an e-mail to:
admin@detroitdigitalvinyl.com
good to see something close..

thank you for sharing.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

hotpace wrote:Who the hell are YOU to keep on bleating about Kompakt being TOO cheap!? They are not idiots at Kompakt and have been around a sht lot longer than Beatport. I think THEY might know whats cheap, whats expensive and whats decent value. They've gone down the decent value route and have PROVED that selling mp3s online CAN be done at that price whilsty still obviously MAKING money!

And to Adams post above: you are talking about Beatport as if they are the only company that are doing what they are doing. Comparing them as steaks to hamburgers! What are Kompakt (for example) doing wrong in your opinion?? They distribute loads of labels as well.
Well, I'm the owner of Tic Tac Toe Records.

and then, just to keep it with your own words, who the hell are you?

I like the idea of tracks beeing more expensive just when they're released as MP3 and then go down to a lower price some time after. I like that system. I agree that the system at Beatport where, if you buy a complete album, it will be more expensive than the actual 12"/CD is very stupid, that surely make's no sence at all.
Just because things are turning digital with MP3/wav sales, doesn't mean that we should give away the music for free or what? Ofcourse there's a lot of costs cut away in the MP3 selling business, but still I think both the label AND the artist would like to make just a tiny bit of money out of the tracks.

Well, it's just my opinion and 'hotspace', why the so negative attack on me?
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

patrick bateman wrote:Just because things are turning digital with MP3/wav sales, doesn't mean that we should give away the music for free or what? Ofcourse there's a lot of costs cut away in the MP3 selling business, but still I think both the label AND the artist would like to make just a tiny bit of money out of the tracks.
That´s not the discussion patrick. It´s not about wheter we want the music to be free or not. It´s about comparing the prices of vinyls vs mp3 releases.
Makes no sense for me having less costs releasing mp3s and then charging the same or more than a vinyl :roll:

And no more attacks of the type... "Who the hell are you?" please (This goes for both hotpace and you :wink: )

We are all respectable people with respectable opinion. And we all have the right to express ourselves :)

Cheers