Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

Post by ::BLM:: »

i would love to play on a voyager. heard so many good things about them, but never played on one.

im in the market for a new synth and have the doh to buy a voyager, but without playing on one its impossible to tell if i would want one. i've got to the point now, where there are so many choices i cant make my mind up.

are people just using it for their bass sounds?

im looking to get deep subby basses and a nice square wave.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

::BLM:: wrote:i would love to play on a voyager. heard so many good things about them, but never played on one.

im in the market for a new synth and have the doh to buy a voyager, but without playing on one its impossible to tell if i would want one. i've got to the point now, where there are so many choices i cant make my mind up.

This is exactly where I was at. Although I was looking for slightly more than basslines.
I would play one, I think even then you might not appreciate the power of it until you get it home. I don't think other peoples demo's or other setup's can really do it justice.

If you get one with the option of sending it back if you don't like it, I can almost garantee that you won't.

And BTW, if you are after subby basses you are looking in the right place. The phatty seems to do so much more than basslines that it seems a waste just to use it for that.
'Nice' isn't the way I would describe the squares either....hehe
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:yeah Moogs are the dogs bollox, there's just nothing that sounds like them, the DSI stuff is weak in comparison.

i hear what you're saying about a modular, but its a tight one, i seriously couldnt live without my Voyager, its at the heart of everything i do, the modular integrates with it so well, but i'm glad i got the Voyager first.

if you are just moving into analogue synths from VA, then the Voyager will teach you most of what you need to know before embarking on a modular.
The thing that turned me onto DSI was the feature set. Good bang for buck. Kinda like a mini modular.
The thing that turned me off it was that there were a few too many options, I could program it for hours without feeling like I was getting anything good out of it. The Moog was just; BANG, there you go, you like?, wait there's more....

I put a post on muff's about trying to integrate it with a modular a couple of hours ago. To me it seems like a good starting point. But other than that I am kinda loosing enthusiasm with a modular, a bit concerned it will be much the same thing as the DSI evo and I won't actually get any music done! I know it will sound better but still might spend more time making noises than techno, which is ultimately why I am doing all this.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:i would love to play on a voyager. heard so many good things about them, but never played on one.

bro the Voyager is way way more than a bass synth, infact ive never actually used mine as one, i would consider that a waste of a complex machine

you can get loads of different sounds out of it, i use mine mostly for chord type sounds, but its equally at home doing bass/percussion/techno sounds whatever.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:
steevio wrote:yeah Moogs are the dogs bollox, there's just nothing that sounds like them, the DSI stuff is weak in comparison.

i hear what you're saying about a modular, but its a tight one, i seriously couldnt live without my Voyager, its at the heart of everything i do, the modular integrates with it so well, but i'm glad i got the Voyager first.

if you are just moving into analogue synths from VA, then the Voyager will teach you most of what you need to know before embarking on a modular.
The thing that turned me onto DSI was the feature set. Good bang for buck. Kinda like a mini modular.
The thing that turned me off it was that there were a few too many options, I could program it for hours without feeling like I was getting anything good out of it. The Moog was just; BANG, there you go, you like?, wait there's more....

I put a post on muff's about trying to integrate it with a modular a couple of hours ago. To me it seems like a good starting point. But other than that I am kinda loosing enthusiasm with a modular, a bit concerned it will be much the same thing as the DSI evo and I won't actually get any music done! I know it will sound better but still might spend more time making noises than techno, which is ultimately why I am doing all this.
all i can say bro is exactly the opposite happened for me, the modular totally brought me to life and multiplied my workflow 1000 times no exaggeration.
i very rarely sell a synth, but the Prophet08 was a pain in the arse, i never actually recorded anything with it that i liked. i liked it at first, then it just started to piss me off.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I need to come up to Wales!

Check out my post on eurorack muff's. Not sure if you would have an opinion or not.
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49882
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i'm bored to hell with all these new monosynths that are the same as all other monosynths.

They're just using the Moog name. The Voyager and Phatty, yeah fine, taking an old standard and putting it back into circulation. But this just seems like every other synth in the world.

I want new synth development! I'm bored of synths that are the same as every other synth.

my new favourite company is flower electronics. No Roland kick drums or 24dB low pass square oscillator rubbish. Innovative, minimal and very high quality. Good work.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

lem wrote:I wonder if it will be £450 over here. I could see it being higher as synth prices don't seem to relate to exchange rates.
import tax is 20% fors goods from outside of EU. no way around that.