hardware samplers

- ask away
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

i use an mpc 60 and trigger the mbase 11 from one of the 8 outputs, i dont have a problem with the sampling business even though its extremely limited with 13.1secs sampling time, u can still do a few tricks such as sampling at +8 45rpm then tuning down on the MPC to save on memory.

i have my mixing desk setup so i can sample either vinyl or sounds from the computer so its pretty quick and easy to do plus i enjoy spending a lot of time focusing on the beats im cutting from vinyl and getting them sounding nice, its my favourite part in production getting the beats down then assigning them to the pads, it feels alot more natural than drawing in midi notes as i can just drum onto it and the sound of the 60 is just amazing, its really boomy/big and hard to describe, adds a lovely quality to percussion. i guess samplers arent for everybody as u need quite a bit of patience and the work flow might put some people off but its the same with anything really, if u get to know your equipment inside out it shouldnt be a problem, don't knock them!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

into a worse box ?
But who said anything about going into a worse box? I agree that it’s a bit fiddly, but the emus have a nice sound that you can’t get itb. For me when buying hardware sampler im going for the sound it can produce. Something like the SP1200 which someone mentioned earlier is a beast and the way it makes samples sound is fantastic. IF you’re looking for something fancy that you can process your samples over and over again then stay itb, but if your like me and don’t need all the fancy things and just want something to make the raw sample sound phat then a decent hardware sampler will do this for you. The MPC for example is limited in what you can do, but people still continue to use it because of the way it sounds.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
into a worse box ?
But who said anything about going into a worse box? I agree that it’s a bit fiddly, but the emus have a nice sound that you can’t get itb. For me when buying hardware sampler im going for the sound it can produce. Something like the SP1200 which someone mentioned earlier is a beast and the way it makes samples sound is fantastic. IF you’re looking for something fancy that you can process your samples over and over again then stay itb, but if your like me and don’t need all the fancy things and just want something to make the raw sample sound phat then a decent hardware sampler will do this for you. The MPC for example is limited in what you can do, but people still continue to use it because of the way it sounds.
i wasnt questioning particular equipment, i was qusetioning the whole concept of 'its about getting out the box' which is exactly what you said.

i'm not saying all samplers are sh!t, and you probably know that i've been advocating going hardware since i started posting on this forum, a time when hardly anyone was using hardware.

all i'm saying is if you're going out of the box, do it for the right reasons, because what you're buying is going to be way better than what you had before.

i still maintain Akai's dont sound good, from personal experience of using them for many years. i really dont understand why people think they do sound good. a well known UK producer from the 1990s friend of mine summed it up to me once when he said the Akai sound just didnt fit in with the rest of his studio, it stands out cold, alone and exposed.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I just wasn't very clear that's all. I thought it was common sense to move onto something that added to your set up, which is why I didn't mention it.

Anyhow we are all different, I guess this is why this forums continues to flow. I have no set way of doing things, I use a variety of things depending on mood to create my music. I just think having a open mind about these things is important. I know people that make music on the simplest of things and it sounds great and i know people that have massive studios and their music sucks.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:I just wasn't very clear that's all. I thought it was common sense to move onto something that added to your set up, which is why I didn't mention it.

Anyhow we are all different, I guess this is why this forums continues to flow. I have no set way of doing things, I use a variety of things depending on mood to create my music. I just think having a open mind about these things is important. I know people that make music on the simplest of things and it sounds great and i know people that have massive studios and their music sucks.
missunderstanding.

i know its common sense, but i suppose i'm only trying to protect anyone who is new to the game, and who might be lured into buying harware because everyone is doing it these days, i bought some seriously sh!t hardware back when i started,
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

8)

Im yet to buy a piece of hardware that didn't like. I'm a tight fucker though, so spend ages researching before I buy. I do however have tons of vstis that I regret buying. Most of the ones I use now are free, so I would recommend to people that they try the free ones first before buying into the bigger companies selling plugins.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:8)

Im yet to buy a piece of hardware that didn't like. I'm a tight fucker though, so spend ages researching before I buy. I do however have tons of vstis that I regret buying. Most of the ones I use now are free, so I would recommend to people that they try the free ones first before buying into the bigger companies selling plugins.
the good thing these days is you can research on the net, when i started there was no internet.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ive made music with hardware, then i went itb, and now back again. For me, the software thing was destructive. Ive mentioned in a few threads the reasons why so wont backtrack on that. Im just more creative otb, enjoy it more, will be able to get a return on my purchases and feel more musical.

I could sit here and argue against people spending money on analog gear and modulars, why not do it in software? Do you think the listeners give a toss how analog or VA it sounds? Of course not. When its all mixed and being played back, nobody says, 'nah man, aint dancing to that, he did it in the box'. It doesnt matter, what matters is that you know what works for you and how you are able to realise your ideas. And for me, it aint in the box. Ive tried and failed.

Gear choices are obviously down to personal preferences but in regard to the functionality of the emu ultra, the simple fact is, in regard to samples, the editing would be done on the pc, it has enough storage capacity to hold what I need too. I dont use drumloops, so dont need to chop them up. Im interested in building instruments with sampled and looped waveforms, using the modular type function of it, its efx and its sequencer.

In regard to it being quicker in software, id argue that one. If i wanted to sample say a waveform from a synth, id record into wavelab (cos kontakt doesnt sample) trim up and loop the sample/s, save it to a folder on my pc, load up the daw app, load up kontakt, load said samples and start mapping them etc.

How is that quicker than hitting record in the emu and doing the same? By the time the pc boots in the software route, id be done.

I dont know whether that emu has a cool sound, i read a pile of suggestions that say it has, but in terms of what I can already see what Id get out of it, that would justify its cheap 2nd hand price alone. Im looking forward to getting it.

Another shock might be the Kurzweil k2000, but I just have to have it.