article about engineer doing blind test of 128mp3 vs wav...?

- open
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: article about engineer doing blind test of 128mp3 vs wav

Post by mizzdirekt »

pheek wrote:
cloutier wrote:i was just having another discussion about the whole "mp3 vs. 320 vs. flac" thing with djing (be it cd, traktor scratch or ableton) with a friend, and he mentioned that someone we had booked for bunker told him about an article about some sound engineer, possibly from fabric, that was given a blind test on his rig between a 128kbps mp3 and a wav file, and he thought that the 128kbps mp3 sounded better.
I remember Richie at Mutek, on a panel in 2003, was talking about Final Scratch. He was saying they did a blind test of the product and he had people from stores, distributors, djs, producers and asked them to take notes. Apparently not a lot could see the difference...
I can tell you this, those samples he put up for his last remix promotion where some of the worst sounding samples I have ever heard in my life....on all levels.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

mizzdirekt wrote:
pheek wrote:
cloutier wrote:i was just having another discussion about the whole "mp3 vs. 320 vs. flac" thing with djing (be it cd, traktor scratch or ableton) with a friend, and he mentioned that someone we had booked for bunker told him about an article about some sound engineer, possibly from fabric, that was given a blind test on his rig between a 128kbps mp3 and a wav file, and he thought that the 128kbps mp3 sounded better.
I remember Richie at Mutek, on a panel in 2003, was talking about Final Scratch. He was saying they did a blind test of the product and he had people from stores, distributors, djs, producers and asked them to take notes. Apparently not a lot could see the difference...
I can tell you this, those samples he put up for his last remix promotion where some of the worst sounding samples I have ever heard in my life....on all levels.
And how does this relate?
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mizzdirekt »

Alright, well...being that I'm quoting and responding to the discussion currently going on it relates...I don't know how it doesn't. Good Grief.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

mizzdirekt wrote:Alright, well...being that I'm quoting and responding to the discussion currently going on it relates...I don't know how it doesn't. Good Grief.
So because Hawtin's samples from the Burn remix project was sh!t in your opinion, then this tells everything about that panel discussion from 2003 about Final Scratch?

hmm okay.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

patrick bateman wrote:
mizzdirekt wrote:
pheek wrote:
And how does this relate?
LOUD NOISES!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

ok... Lets just assume you can't difference between 320kbps and WAV.

But what happens when you take pitching the track? Major game change imo.

In theory the mp3 has parts of the sounds taken out at its original pitch. So if its pitched up or down... the sound should be very different you think?
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

roland wrote:where i come from kids now listen to their music through the speakers of their mobile phones.. when it has come so far the format of the file doesn't matter at all :/
it's true and so sad, my daughter (11yo) listens to all her music through the speaker of her iPod touch
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

dubgil2 wrote:
roland wrote:where i come from kids now listen to their music through the speakers of their mobile phones.. when it has come so far the format of the file doesn't matter at all :/
it's true and so sad, my daughter (11yo) listens to all her music through the speaker of her iPod touch
get her some good headphones.. it`s not to late =))