vinyl vs laptop

- open
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

entropy wrote:I have nothing against laptop djing, but vinyl is my choice... 'cause i'll never be able to play a whole set with laptop, it's just no fun for me, at least not as fun as decks...
I see a certain ''sentimental value'' in vinyl, and i'll never be able to leave them... Because, there's no better feeling for me than when holding a 12" in my hands, and spinning it on the decks, scratching, playin' with the faders, etc....
And that's the main reason why i'm more for vinyl: the ''physical'' sensation which you get with vinyl and can't have with laptops...
I say again, i've got nothin special against FS, or any laptop based programme, but it's just that i prefer vinyl much more...
I hope you understod what i said... ;)
Same here. Im very comfortable with my vinyl. Maybe someday down the road ill make the switch but im not going to do it because its "the wave of the future" im going to do it when I want to do it.

But i will say this. My memory is most vivid through visuals, not through hearing. And the most memorable dj sets ive seen were from people who go absolutely buck nuts, smiling, and grooving. Akufen live pa's circa 2002/3 was some of the best music ive heard live, no questions about that. But he was a statue and reguardless of how good the music was...its not going to be as memorable to me as a Theo Parrish set, a DJ Traxx set, or a Mark EG set.
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

patrick bateman wrote:
Daniel Logikal wrote:
Shadi Megallaa wrote:What comes out of the speakers is what matters.. i couldn't care less if the Dj is using a birds beak on a record ala the Flinstones.. 8)
How true that is. I'm using Rane Serrato now mixed in with traditional vinyl, & its the best thing since sliced bread for me. Its all about options. Live P.A., loop machines, hardware, software, bird's beaks, whatever.

Its the quality coming out of the speakers that matters. Not what is going on behind the decks.
So we could just have a pre-recorded set with Hawtin playing from the CD machine, as long as it's good, it doesn't matter that it's just a CD playing a pre-recorded set?

Is that what you mean? Doesn't it mean ANYTHING at all what's going on behind the decks?
Nope, thats not what I mean. What I mean is the tools should not matter, as long as the sound quality coming through the speakers is not compromised. Of course you should still be live in the mix! (pre-recorded sets are a no-no imo!).
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

zentex wrote: well that's exactly my point. as the vinyl is cut, those frequencies are left out, and that's the charachteristics i love in the sound of vinyl.
The system engineer can cut those out of the speakers as well if you want. It maybe quite true that a lot of djs and dancers cant hear much above 16k anyway, the same is not regarding bass. Real SUB bass is such an awesome phenomenon, it is difficult to describe how it changes the music and vibe on the floor. Its damn easy to make the kick snap your chest, but once you feel what you cannot really hear (hey, thats physical, no?) its hard going back.

I was talking with one of hte early proponent users of FS a few years back about switching and he had the same physical feedback issues to deal with. Now, he doesnt. Just because you give up the decks doesnt mean you give up the faders. In some cases you get more! The power of nostalgia is a fierce one, but its holding many back. If parties were organized on a larger scale so that nobody was visually inclined to worship the dj, then we might be able to get back to the music and party like how things started out............
freeeeeee
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Daniel Logikal wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Daniel Logikal wrote:
Shadi Megallaa wrote:What comes out of the speakers is what matters.. i couldn't care less if the Dj is using a birds beak on a record ala the Flinstones.. 8)
How true that is. I'm using Rane Serrato now mixed in with traditional vinyl, & its the best thing since sliced bread for me. Its all about options. Live P.A., loop machines, hardware, software, bird's beaks, whatever.

Its the quality coming out of the speakers that matters. Not what is going on behind the decks.
So we could just have a pre-recorded set with Hawtin playing from the CD machine, as long as it's good, it doesn't matter that it's just a CD playing a pre-recorded set?

Is that what you mean? Doesn't it mean ANYTHING at all what's going on behind the decks?
Nope, thats not what I mean. What I mean is the tools should not matter, as long as the sound quality coming through the speakers is not compromised. Of course you should still be live in the mix! (pre-recorded sets are a no-no imo!).
good hehe ;)
nikaj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

re

Post by nikaj »

i have switched over to laptop djing in the past year, and although i do sometimes miss the tactile aspect of vinyl, i find that ableton allows me do to so much more that i am really only limited by my imagination, and more than willing to make that sacrifice.

as for the audience, i cannot imagine who would care what is the source of the sound. what is coming out of the speaker is so much more important than where its coming from that i dont really think its an issue. (i don't think even the most radical vinyl devotee would rather listen to some sh!t music coming from vinyl rather than music that s/he liked coming from a laptop.)

the art, if there is any, of djing is not getting two pieces of vinyl in tempo, but selecting and presenting music right? i mean beatmatching is more kind of a rite of passage, which might make you feel like "I'm a dj now", but that doesnt really make you a good dj.

as for the entertainment factor of it, i find DJs who jump around and try to pump up the crowd kind of annoying, as it never seems natural. if you yourself are feeling the music and having a good time while djing, i think this translates to the audience.

my $.02
Mirza
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mirza »

we have a quiet similar forum on a Swiss electronic music forum :D

For me, I m a 100% vinyl addict.

maybe a day I will pass on a FS or other similar system, but not at the moment.

Only Vinyl :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Seuil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Seuil »

Oh!!!!!
It's always the same song!!!
I have friends who use vinyls, and they don't want to talk about laptop
Me, personnaly I use both, vinyls and laptop, and I don't think we have to choice;
So let people do whatever they want or like ....
Why there is always people who criticize the fact that some people use laptops, perhaps they don't care about vinyls or perhaps they haven't got enough money to buy decks or vinyls? ...
What so ever, we have to buy Vinyls to help the market!!!!!!!
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: re

Post by isa »

nikaj wrote:i have switched over to laptop djing in the past year, and although i do sometimes miss the tactile aspect of vinyl, i find that ableton allows me do to so much more that i am really only limited by my imagination, and more than willing to make that sacrifice.

as for the audience, i cannot imagine who would care what is the source of the sound. what is coming out of the speaker is so much more important than where its coming from that i dont really think its an issue. (i don't think even the most radical vinyl devotee would rather listen to some sht music coming from vinyl rather than music that s/he liked coming from a laptop.)

the art, if there is any, of djing is not getting two pieces of vinyl in tempo, but selecting and presenting music right? i mean beatmatching is more kind of a rite of passage, which might make you feel like "I'm a dj now", but that doesnt really make you a good dj.

as for the entertainment factor of it, i find DJs who jump around and try to pump up the crowd kind of annoying, as it never seems natural. if you yourself are feeling the music and having a good time while djing, i think this translates to the audience.

my $.02
totally agree with you