Music promotion tool

- open
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

I find this really amusing

The film industry and the game industry are making millions of € in the digital format , i have a friend who owns a hiphop label , the last statement was 12.340 €
Music is getting more and more money income from digital than from phisical sales.
So are we talking about what ?? Specific underground niches in electronic music
I think its far more important to solve other issues , beatport has i read 100 people working there so i read how come a label who gets normally in the top 100 techno sells 350-500 copies only (so i have been told)
Economically this is nonsense. Besides you have the distri taking a cut
This is not clear to me . The label needs to control the sales better
The sales in other mediums have dropped to an historical minimum
and those other mediums like any other audio format can be put into digital

IMO the important is , specialized sites working globally(progessiv house , underground house, hard techno , techno ) , language transl better label selection , less sites , label site deal direct eliminate distribution
(the amount of money this market generates is small so distribut is more like a parasite imo ) among other things
giving away what you do might be good in one perspectiv ex marketing
etc , but in another what u are basic saiyng is my work as a music composer/producer has no value so its free. I mean when each track costs 1 euro this is like... amusing
If people cant sell their creations for 1 euro , either the market /label marketing is failing or most likely u dont have what it takes so better give it away.
TimTor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TimTor »

@Gustafsson:

Well, this ain't hip-hop and I can tell you that most labels here have far lower statements coming in every month. Furthermore, I couldn't agree more with Patrick that there will always be certain overhead cost (read mastering) that need to be covered.

Giving away music for free is not the future, as that has already been tried in many ways. Flexible pricing has also been experimented with some successful cases. Clearly, one needs to find an optimum solution for effective promotion. Nevertheless, it remains unclear where we should be heading.

After seeing the viinyl website I have to say that it is just a really fancy page that could possibly be used effectively in small communities or networks. However, if the supply of "unique" pages increases significantly it would also mean that there is yet again too much and that exclusivity is lost. I believe we are entering another vicious circle....
BlueCode Records - BCR011 - Dubious Methods - Out now (free release)!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

for me. the main thing to think about is people.

this is the main currency we are dealing with. happiness, sadness, laziness, selfishness, selflessness.

i think the danger is with digital media, is that you think you can break down normal barriers of humanness. I think it will always come down to people and real time interactions being the centre. Maybe someone saw a live show. Maybe their friend played them a record of yours. Maybe they even found out about it themselves (quite rare).

For me, digital is simply an easy mechanism for distribution. I do not plan to use it to replace the people side. For underground music it is not always that the wind is in your sails. I am prepared for an uphill struggle (but hopefully not all the time).

I don't think it is possible to fight the fact that some people are lazy, and ignorant. But I think there are humans who are understanding and supportive.

Maybe the future makes me depressed about things, or maybe it makes me happy. I definitely haven't been around long enough to say for sure about too much.

I hope JP that you get some wind behind your backs some day soon.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I must agree once again with mr. Bateman. Can't see anything good coming from just giving your music away for free. For already established big names who make money from gigs, sure, but for an artist in a niche music style? I seriously doubt it.
More over, it makes people once more used to getting it for free, so they just think of music as being free and illegal downloading as something 'normal'.

Still, I'm curious to hear the result of the 'experiment', Pheek :) And the day they start booking me at 500 euro per gig, I'll be happy to give away my music for free as well :)
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

You guys stick to the freebie aspect of this tool and forgot all the other options: simple tools to sell or share. I really like the option of "buy for the amount you want"... à la radiohead. Something we can't find on beatport or shops and I believe, it's one good option.

If you don't want to give for free, good for you. I concur, I'm not really interested in giving my music for free but what we did for the last LP on Archipel, was to give one track. Why not?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

give what you want will simply mean 'free'. For Radiohead this works fine: they have a huge following from the old days, and even if they dobn't make zip from a cd, they can safely charge 2 million euro for a festival gig.
If they would pay me top dollar for a dj set, I would also give tracks away for free. But the big mistake that everyone makes (deliberate or not) is that you can't extrapolate results for a superband to the situation of a niche market artist.

Another way of seeing it: if Lady Gaga gets downloaded illegally a few thousand times and she loses 2 million euro in revenue, she'll still have a lot of millions left to dry her tears with. If you download the music of an unknown artist who normally sells about 200 downloads, this will be the point between losing money or just breaking even. And that's a huge difference.
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

Fair enough guys. It's an interesting topic though and i'm really intrigued about what will happen in the near future.
Upcoming Gigs
Twitch presents Function (Sandwell District) on 16th March in The Empire, Belfast. Support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//Phil Lucas.

Twitch presents Lerosa on 9th April in QUBSU with support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//NEZ//Phil Lucas
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

You have some experience now with this Pheek?

I found also this article about bandcamp;
http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2011/02/ ... dcamp.html