Advice really appreciated - getting decks for my 11 yr old

- open
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

patrick bateman wrote: You are putting words in my mouth I never said... :)
I was ONLY reflecting on your points regarding that people who play digitally AND buy their tracks, buy all of the tracks of each release, and therefore the economic point in getting a digital system was gone...
That was what I was talking about (and you also).
yeah my calculation is not entirely fair.. surely you don't buy every track of a release.. if that's good or not could be a whole new topic tho :D

still i don't know how else you wanna compare the costs of both setups if you don't count every track on a vinyl release.. in the end you have to compare the amount of tracks the digital guy has and the amount of tracks the vinyl guy has..

clearly vinyl is more expensive after years.. i just wanted to say that a digital setup becomes cheap after some time and is kind of expensive in the first place..
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

roland wrote: i'm not talking about any vestax or numark setup.. honestly i don't know that stuff.. i'm talking about a standard digital setup.. traktor+laptop.. the additional costs of these two things are so high.. even when comparing an mp3 to a €10 single sided vinyl (which is a ridiculous comparison cause the big majority of records is not single sided and if so, these tracks are not available digitally^^) you have to buy several 100 mp3s to cover the costs of the additional gear..
then you've missed the whole point of this thread..

we're trying to find the 11yr old lad a practical, cost affective setup to get him into dj'ing....

that's why i'm talking about the low end equipment...

but even when you're talking about traktor... you've got to compare apples with apples... traktor pro the all singing dancing "standard" setup... is around £480 i believe... midi control you can buy for i dunno £200.. so that's £680....

pair of brand new technics 1210 £345...holy sh!t.. i just checked a dj store and they're now £489 each/£989 pair... that's crazy, when did the prices go up??... anyways buy a crap mixer for around £100.... so you're looking at around £1100...

that's a £420 difference between the two setups...

that's 280 mp3s you could buy... you wouldn't even need to download any for free to start with!!!!

even when have to buy a laptop, you could easily get an ok one for £420.. or even less or buy a desktop... you know Traktor also runs on other things than shiny macbooks and vaios...

so you're talking complete sh!t on the gear cost comparisons... at best they can be equal...
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

roland wrote:
the digital one probs has more longevity compared to the basic decks mixer setup... as once you've learnt to beatmatch... things get a little boring.. you want some buttons to press innit..
it doesn't get boring when you've learned to beatchmatch... actually this is when the mixing starts.. but you've just named the major argument for digital setups.. it's easier to play decent sets cause you have several buttons^^ and instead of learning to mix one record into the other we all just beatmatch the tracks .. put both faders up and start pressing buttons..
but that's not my understanding of a dj and i don't pay to see people doing that..
my comment was tongue in cheek... i'm just saying within traktor there's more options and scope once you've mastered mixing with two upfaders... eqs, filters, efx... can be very important tools in doing great mixs... with the hardware route, you've got to upgrade your mixer... whilst in traktor it'll be there waiting for you...
roland wrote:i googled that vestax thing you said..

i don't even know what to say about such gear.. it's okay for apres ski parties but has nothing to do with deejaying as i understand it..
nope its the the prettiest thing... it looks like a cheap plastic toy... but then the entry level sh!t isn't... my first turntables were diabolical... looked awful... but you're starting out learning the ropes....

once you've got a foothold and you fall in love.. its then that you start aspiring for the good stuff.. beit decks or digital setups...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

All this and the original posted hasnt bothered to reply.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

chris you're saying that one got to compare apples with apples.. and you're comparing a setup with decks and one without decks.. that's far away from apples^^ =)

in the title the guy says he needs decks for his 11 year old.. so with the recommendation of a setup without decks you missed the topic :D

but seriously.. i think if you buy cheap you buy twice.. and if you start with such a vestax thing you're definitelly gonna buy decks later.. and you don't even learn to spin with this thing.. imo you can't do wrong with technics.. price is high yes but stable in value too.. you can always sell them later without a loss.. and kids want to spin don't they? so how do you wanna spin with such a vestax thing i don't get it..

so actually we can't really compare the setups cause one has decks which allow you to spin.. and the other setup you mentioned hast just no decks so no spinning.. its totally subjective what someone likes more..

but however.. playing without decks is not deejaying imo.. :D
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

roland wrote:but however.. playing without decks is not deejaying imo.. :D
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

roland wrote:chris you're saying that one got to compare apples with apples.. and you're comparing a setup with decks and one without decks.. that's far away from apples^^ =)
you've clearly misunderstood what we're comparing... you were instantly jumping to the standard digital setup of traktor pro hence why you thought it was expensive... but i said you can't instantly think that's the only option... then i started talking about comparable quality of setups at different levels... ie traktor pro is the top end... technics is the top end... CDJ1000s top end... whilst PCDJ is lowend... cheapo vestax controller with traktor light low end.... stanton cheapo direct drives low end... make sense? they're all at the same value range, since we're looking for something practical and cheap... apples with apples...
roland wrote:in the title the guy says he needs decks for his 11 year old.. so with the recommendation of a setup without decks you missed the topic :D
No i haven't i can read... if you read beyond the title the old boy goes on to say:
oldboy wrote: If he's not too young do I go for MP3 decks, vinyl decks or virtual PC sort of decks you mix with a mouse? He's very computer literate too.
that suggests he's open to all forms of DJ setups
roland wrote:but seriously.. i think if you buy cheap you buy twice.. and if you start with such a vestax thing you're definitelly gonna buy decks later..
great logic there... i've applied this many times before... i'm buying a house... i don't have much money, i need to do it cheaply... but i should buy a mansion, because eventually i want to live in one and i don't want to buy twice... and of course house prices are stable and i think they always go up? i remember hearing that around 2007...

i also am looking to buy a car... i want a ferrari... i should buy that first.. because buying cars leading up to that is just wasted money...

I want to get into golf... i don't know how to play... but i should buy the best set of clubs you can buy, because buying beginners equipment is wasted...

I want to learn how to play the piano... i don't think i should learn on a cheapo keyboard to get the basics and figure out if i'm any good... i must get a grand piano... yes it should fit in the mansion i'm going to buy.
etc etc etc....

i can see you're point if you're a DJ already and you know you're going to be in it for the long run... but if you're testing the water shelling out a grand on equipment up front might be a big ask... especially as a present for an 11 yr old kid.... again thinking practicality...

roland wrote: and you don't even learn to spin with this thing.. imo you can't do wrong with technics.. price is high yes but stable in value too.. you can always sell them later without a loss.. and kids want to spin don't they? so how do you wanna spin with such a vestax thing i don't get it..
well yes you can mix and beatmatch on it.. like i said the concept is the same.... you put a track on and you have to get it in time... you got jog wheels and pitch faders... you can still beatmatch the manual way.. you still use teh same concepts... the only difference is there is nothing revolving on a platter... so if you mean learn to spin as in something on a platter actually has to spin... then no you can't "learn" that with the vestax...
roland wrote:so actually we can't really compare the setups cause one has decks which allow you to spin.. and the other setup you mentioned hast just no decks so no spinning.. its totally subjective what someone likes more..
it must have been devastating when CDJs came out... when spinning was removed and replaced by a spinning light display... were you really against spinning lights emulating the spin of a vinyl record?
roland wrote:but however.. playing without anything spinning is not deejaying imo.. :D
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

I'm guessing old boy hasn't posted back because he's been arrested for shooting and killling his kid... He didn't realise DJ'ing was all about digital vs deck setups instead being about the music... he just couldn't subject his kid to all that.