Religion

- open
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

The topic was not ruling out belief.

Anyhow, you are right that religion and belief are two different concepts, but this thread is not about what it is and what it is not.
re·li·gion
n.

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
be·lief
n.

1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in another: My belief in you is as strong as ever.
2. Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something: His explanation of what happened defies belief.
3. Something believed or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of persons.
Now enough with these god awful technicalities.
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

No... semantics RULE :lol:

(actually semantics get in the way of Philosophy, but that too is another matter)

Jesse - its interesting you mention you're a psychedelic... I think it was John Allegro (amongst others) who came up with the theory that the concept of 'God' was actually the result of early humans eating mushrooms and other such hallucinogenic materials which give the user a 'spiritual awakening' effect... its not something that provable, but it does seem to me to be a feasible idea when you look at tribal religions and see that many of them have at their focus a shaman who communicates with the gods by ingesting the local hallucinogen :)

hell, look at the ideas Timothy Leary came up with about the 8-fold model of consciousness after eating lots of acid :)
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

straightedgecatholicveganvirginism. but im not very good at it considering all the alcohol and drugs i consume, i dont go to church, i dont eat meat but i do eat fish, and ive been to planned parenthood twice in the last year for the morning after pill.
PatStormont
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PatStormont »

mayzee wrote:
Jesse - its interesting you mention you're a psychedelic... I think it was John Allegro (amongst others) who came up with the theory that the concept of 'God' was actually the result of early humans eating mushrooms and other such hallucinogenic materials which give the user a 'spiritual awakening' effect... its not something that provable, but it does seem to me to be a feasible idea when you look at tribal religions and see that many of them have at their focus a shaman who communicates with the gods by ingesting the local hallucinogen :)
Or more probably, eating grains which have been attacked by fungus. This can have hallucinegenic properties as well. This is what a lot of historians believe is behind the "bewitching" in Salem.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Jesse Somfay wrote:The topic was not ruling out belief.

Anyhow, you are right that religion and belief are two different concepts, but this thread is not about what it is and what it is not.
re·li·gion
n.

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
be·lief
n.

1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in another: My belief in you is as strong as ever.
2. Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something: His explanation of what happened defies belief.
3. Something believed or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of persons.
What are you talking about? I'm just posting like everyone else.... I was stating my take on the topic, not nitpicking anything. "enough semantics/technicalities" yourself.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

mayzee wrote:No... semantics RULE :lol:

(actually semantics get in the way of Philosophy, but that too is another matter)

hell, look at the ideas Timothy Leary came up with about the 8-fold model of consciousness after eating lots of acid :)
Terrence McKenna has also suggested something similar. He suggests that psilocybin mushrooms have contributed in the developement of language and enhanced sight because of their properties to make one utter strange thoughts, sometimes in made up languages, and their ability to make one see much more clearly.

I wouldn't doubt that for a moment, same with the other point you have brought up. They definitely could have aided in creating god like characters. Mushrooms being entheogens, their visions (at higher doses) often are of a very spiritual and alien nature where one experiences a type of logos or perhaps the mushroom itself talking to the bemushroomed seeker. It also seams quite possible that people could have achieved sort of a god seeking mindset while drinking the mysterious Soma, in southern Europe.

Another interesting fact is the story of how Santa Claus as we know him has his clothing colours because of the Fly Agaric mushroom which use to be consumed in nomadic Europe and parts of Asia to achieve somewhat of a state of drunkenness. It was also used by shamans who would enter ritual shacks through a chimney at the top hence Santa coming down the chimney. Reindeer who also consumed the mushroom also became somewhat drunk and were sometimes found eating their own urine in patches of yellow snow to get drunk. People who took the mushroom often passed their own urine on to get others into a bemushroomed state as the active alkaloids did not fully break down and passed into the urine and from that we get the term 'pissed.' Hahaha!

All the fun little things you learn while reading ;)

But yeah, I guess early archaic homonids could definitely have been considered 'psychedelic' in a way had they eaten the mushroom all the time, haha!
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

adam wrote:
Jesse Somfay wrote:The topic was not ruling out belief.

re·li·gion
n.

be·lief
n.

What are you talking about? I'm just posting like everyone else.... I was stating my take on the topic, not nitpicking anything. "enough semantics/technicalities" yourself.
You're right, I was indeed on the topic of semantics as well.

Whatever.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

mayzee wrote:I think it was John Allegro (amongst others) who came up with the theory that the concept of 'God' was actually the result of early humans eating mushrooms and other such hallucinogenic materials which give the user a 'spiritual awakening' effect... its not something that provable, but it does seem to me to be a feasible idea when you look at tribal religions and see that many of them have at their focus a shaman who communicates with the gods by ingesting the local hallucinogen :)
Actually the early humans were the result of monkeys consuming mushrooms and such :)
PatStormont wrote:Or more probably, eating grains which have been attacked by fungus. This can have hallucinegenic properties as well. This is what a lot of historians believe is behind the "bewitching" in Salem.
Well, pople had god way before they had grain (with fungi).
But the medieval witch-hunts and wolverines and all that is said to be caused by fungi in grain. Poor people.

for the note: LSD is manufactured from lysergic acid, which is found in ergot, a fungus that grows on rye and other grains.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...