Is Piracy Really Killing The Music Industry? No!.........?

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

there is another problem, if you look at it from a different side.

Cause MP3 happened, music got an immaterial good. Now today immaterial goods are less and less worth.

Art in general wouldnt be descibed as work from the majority of the people

Work is if you are 50 hours a week in some shop selling something, not sitting in front of your computer and play a little with some buttons.
Dont get me wrong, thats not my conception of work but i believe its the conception of the majority in the world.
so the conclusion is simple, producing music is not seen as work from the majority and you simply dont pay for something that is not created through work.

But it has nothing to do especially with mp3, it was allways this way. In the past the people had no other chance than buying. Now with MP3 they have another chance ..
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Themis wrote: Art in general wouldnt be descibed as work from the majority of the people

Work is if you are 50 hours a week in some shop selling something, not sitting in front of your computer and play a little with some buttons.
Dont get me wrong, thats not my conception of work but i believe its the conception of the majority in the world.
so the conclusion is simple, producing music is not seen as work from the majority and you simply dont pay for something that is not created through work.
yep i think this is partially true, but also i feel it is partially under 'lame excuses for people to justify downloading'... music life is not all fun and games and twiddling knobs... it can be heavy going and require much sacrifice. There are many times where a more simple lifestyle would be a lot easier. But admittedly, music brings me much greater rewards in my life and I am definitely lucky to be able to do this (even though after many years of more than full time work I have not earnt 1p).

I guess you cannot blame people for thinking this... it can be an easy to think that this is how it is... and there can be truth it in... if someone is drawing much $$$ for not so much effort then it can be easy to feel like your money is more important to you, than to add an extra percentage of luxury to someone else's extravagant lifestyle. But this is not the reality for most musicians.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Themis wrote: Work is if you are 50 hours a week in some shop selling something, not sitting in front of your computer and play a little with some buttons.
You're saying anyone working in the service industry isn't working? bankers, help desks, computer programmers...
That "work" definition has gotten very blurry since the advent of the computer. There are still people making a lot of money from selling information. Which to some extent music is too...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

of course they are working too. you are right that the work definition has gotten very blurry. Today its the economy who decides what work is and what isnt.

is a philosopher who writes every month an article a worker?
does a painter who paints a picture every 3 month work?
Should a DJ who plays 2 hours a week in a club get 500 Dollar each time?
Should a Producer earn tousands of dollars for one track?

which work is exactly how much worth in money?

Thats not an easy question, many have tried to answer it for example with theories about supply and demand. but nothing fits really and for all situations.

sorry if iam a little off topic

The problem is in the end the customers/people dont see the worth in what the music artists doing. They see a good which comes in huge masses. Millions of songs and artists and more. And every kid can create music nowadays on a computer.

thats not an excuse for stealing. in the end thats our law and we have to respect it. It will get worse and i dont think that anybody can do a thing to change that.

This digital age has taken the worth out of the music for people. I know that everytime some friend asks me if i rip him a vinyl that i own. Everytime i think: WTF buy it yourself. And for him its kind of weird to spend 10 or more euros on music ..
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Themis wrote: The problem is in the end the customers/people dont see the worth in what the music artists doing. They see a good which comes in huge masses. Millions of songs and artists and more. And every kid can create music nowadays on a computer.

thats not an excuse for stealing. in the end thats our law and we have to respect it. It will get worse and i dont think that anybody can do a thing to change that.

This digital age has taken the worth out of the music for people. I know that everytime some friend asks me if i rip him a vinyl that i own. Everytime i think: WTF buy it yourself. And for him its kind of weird to spend 10 or more euros on music ..
we will see what happens in the UK. you need strict laws to stop people doing something they shouldn't. then people will see the value of music again. if they don't think it's worth it they shouldn't have it.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

patrick bateman wrote:
livecollective wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Why so negative and hostile?
I'm asking a simple question, if you can't answer, then why be hostile towards me? Have I done anything to you?

EDIT: I think both my vinyl releases and digital releases have giving me the success I could ask for (said in another way, I'm happy for what I've achieved), mind you that I'm still a relatively young producer.
I am not being negative its just the same general theme from you in a relatively unsupported way in these types of threads.
Your comment was negative/sarcastic towards me.

I think you are way off if you think I'm against vinyl and only am praising the digital 'theme', if so, then you really haven't been following the discussions on this forum the last couple of months.

Furthermore, my comment had nothing at all to do with the vinyl vs digital debate, so your comment was way offline.
I know you are not against vinyl. ( I love vinyl too). I never said you are only praising digital. I am not even talking about vinyl at all, except in response to you commenting about how your vinyl releases have brought you success, in your typical holier-than-thou attitude. So to assume that I haven't been following the discussion on the forums is ridiculous, and presumptuous.

My comment at you was not a debate between vinyl and digital it was between netlabel and digital, how you couldn't extrapolate that from my post is beyond me. You response again is typical Patrick Bateman, moderately condescending, with a sense of unfounded (look what i can do) pretentiousness.

One trick pony, I have been following the discussion enough to see that its always the same from you man, praise digital sales, and beatport and then you get all huffy and puffy when people disagree with you, immediately referring to your career and your label, and how successful both are, (especially digitally, we can go through every post that mentions beatport and see what you say).
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

hey livecollective your 1000th post !
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

So you DO have a problem with me and how I write on this forum, I knew it :)
livecollective wrote:I know you are not against vinyl. ( I love vinyl too). I never said you are only praising digital.
livecollective wrote: I have been following the discussion enough to see that its always the same from you man, praise digital sales, and beatport
Make up your mind man ;)
livecollective wrote: except in response to you commenting about how your vinyl releases have brought you success, in your typical holier-than-thou attitude.
Where did I say that my vinyl releases have brought me success? I can't see it, sorry.
livecollective wrote: My comment at you was not a debate between vinyl and digital it was between netlabel and digital, how you couldn't extrapolate that from my post is beyond me.
you wrote:
god here comes the jockey of the digital realm.
ez man, how many awesome gigs and tons of success have your digital releases gotten you?
I'm sorry, but I read that as I'm only into digital and all against vinyl. My bad if you mean digital vs netlabel, that wasn't clear to me at all.
livecollective wrote: You response again is typical Patrick Bateman, moderately condescending, with a sense of unfounded (look what i can do) pretentiousness.
Really? Sorry you feel that way about me.
livecollective wrote: and then you get all huffy and puffy when people disagree with you, immediately referring to your career and your label, and how successful both are, (especially digitally, we can go through every post that mentions beatport and see what you say).
I really don't think I praise myself and my label. I talk a lot and draw conclusions from my labels when discussing, of course. Doesn't that make sense, when I have some knowledge about the business side of this game? Is it to praise myself and my labels, when I say that we only do a few rounds of vinyls per year now because we simply can't sell vinyl?
Is it praising myself when I say that digital sales at Beatport have been raising and raising for the last 2-3-4 years now?
That's just facts, facts that I know because I run these 2 labels.

You surprise me :shock: