Label that doesn't listen demo

- open
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Dragonsand wrote:If a ran a label, if somebody sent me an astonishing track but did not invest himself and present himself to me, he would stay lonely with his music, I would not get back to him.

It's so easy to produce music nowadays, communication is so quick and everywhere that we need more real personalities. Music only is not enough anymore. The internet bulimia finally bores us.

If you are a good musician but without any personal aesthetics, I think you're just okay to sign on dustbin labels on beatport-only.

To be an artist is not just sending tracks on soundcloud, it's being somebody who have to speak with his heart to people and labels he particulary admires for their works and ideas.
Thats interesting. Its a very traditionally romantic view of music and art, its nice that theres people that feel that way.

I don't find musicians to be interesting people, on a whole.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have just started a new label. I set the Myspace up a few days ago and already people have started to send me demos! I mean c'mon... the label hasnt even had the first release yet, how on earth do they know if they wanna release on it?

I liked Running Back words on the matter:
DEMO POLICY OF TRUTH!

Hello young aspiring producers or old frustrated ones,

We get really swamped with demos and links and demo links and questions about demos or demo links at the moment. So, before you think about sending us anything, take a deep breath and a short moment of your time instead of wasting it for all of us. Do you really know anything about this label?

More important, do you like the music we put out?

Hell, did you even listen to it?

If so, it might makes sense to contact the coach, otherwise...please...Miss Thing!

And what about those mass send emails to 100 and one labels, all visible in the email header? Ruff times, huh?

At first, we wanted to tell you that unless your name is Larry Levan, Andy Sojka or Radio Slave, it would make no sense at all to even try, but we don't want to be too rude, do we?

To put it in a nutshell: The Team consists of close or far friends and their friends or friends of their friends. Are you a friend?

Thanks for listening to this rant.

Running Back

ps. If you know the maiden name of Gerd's mother, we offer you an album deal.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Dragonsand wrote:
If you are a good musician but without any personal aesthetics, I think you're just okay to sign on dustbin labels on beatport-only.

To be an artist is not just sending tracks on soundcloud, it's being somebody who have to speak with his heart to people and labels he particulary admires for their works and ideas.
So what you're saying is that if you don't have the communicational skill you have no chance at all. What if the tracks you just received are the best tracks you've ever heard. You still not gonna sign the producer? That's so wrong. The internet disabled pure talent, everybody has to be a kissass nowadays. Maybe all the labels have to stop accepting demo's through the internet as a whole.
you are what you tweed
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

::BLM:: wrote:I have just started a new label. I set the Myspace up a few days ago and already people have started to send me demos! I mean c'mon... the label hasnt even had the first release yet, how on earth do they know if they wanna release on it?

DEMO POLICY OF TRUTH!

We get really swamped with demos and links and demo links and questions about demos or demo links at the moment. So, before you think about sending us anything, take a deep breath and a short moment of your time instead of wasting it for all of us. Do you really know anything about this label?

If so, it might makes sense to contact the coach, otherwise...please...Miss Thing!

And what about those mass send emails to 100 and one labels, all visible in the email header? Ruff times, huh?

At first, we wanted to tell you that unless your name is Larry Levan, Andy Sojka or Radio Slave, it would make no sense at all to even try, but we don't want to be too rude, do we?

To put it in a nutshell: The Team consists of close or far friends and their friends or friends of their friends. Are you a friend?

Running Back

good example of acute releasitis
Rose
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Rose »

::BLM:: wrote:I have just started a new label. I set the Myspace up a few days ago and already people have started to send me demos! I mean c'mon... the label hasnt even had the first release yet, how on earth do they know if they wanna release on it?

DEMO POLICY OF TRUTH!

Running Back

if every label put the things in this way, probably everyone that want to release some tracks will need an own label...
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

Rose wrote: if every label put the things in this way, probably everyone that want to release some tracks will need an own label...
that happens already
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i like to break things down into two categories, to ease things. casual and professional. soundcloud/myspace links, 128kbps mp3, rapidshare.... all of these formats are severely casual. these are the musical equivalent of wearing a t-shirt to a wedding.

what does professional look like? a demo isn't far from a resume or application for a job. they both require that you make your presence felt and desired in words and recordings. so something like a press kit can be very useful. a press kit is "professional". as a techno artist a quick promo mixset, or a 2-3 track CD, a biography, also include any reviews or editorials (from blogs, newspapers, zines, website comments) a professionally shot or at least non-candid photograph of yourself, stickers, any small merch you have.

the reason this works is that it is a physical package, which should stimulate their eyes, ears, hands, and mind all at once.

so remember, mp3 links are casual. casual is bad in some cases, like don't propose marriage at a fast food drive through window. don't show up for a formal gig in a hawaiian party shirt. country clubs frown upon people not meeting their dress code. try and envision all these awkward situations the next time you e-mail someone a rapidshare link as to your demo. they don't care, because it could be partly construed as rude to do so.