virus B

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think the user contributes a lot to the sound of the machine with how they use it. but I think part of using machines is selecting ones that work for you: work flow, ...sound... etc etc.

Knocking Live works for the purposes of a funny joke but beyond that you can't really blame bland music on it. I'm currently trying to build an experimental sequencer based heavily on the MC202 inside Live (well inside MaxforLive). I find that exciting.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:i do have a soft spot for those 80's digital synths. it's probably nostalgia from my childhood. i'd love a roland D-50 or yamaha DX7 but their interface is sh!t and i know i'll get nothing out of them (tried with the casio CZ-5000).
some of them are ok and some are sh!t.

ive got a CZ101 and a CZ3000, they were both given to me, and i tried to get something out of them, but gave up thinking whats the point when ive got much better machines available to me.

i suppose thats the point i was making.

boomstick is asking about what to buy, well i say go for the best up to date synth you can get for your money mate, rather than some 80's digital crap.
theres a reason why CZ101s only go for £35 on ebay, and why VAs and softsynths have SH101 and not SY77 presets
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote: Knocking Live works for the purposes of a funny joke but beyond that you can't really blame bland music on it. I'm currently trying to build an experimental sequencer based heavily on the MC202 inside Live (well inside MaxforLive). I find that exciting.
i think Torque was joking bro,

your sequencer sounds interesting, are you trying to replace the MC202 ?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:
i think Torque was joking bro,

your sequencer sounds interesting, are you trying to replace the MC202 ?
yeah I know, and the joke was funny, but I just wanted to point out how I feel about Live, cos it's heading in really exciting directions other than being a generic easy to abuse DAW.

My 202's going nowhere. I just think the sequencer on it has a really weird kind of logic that seems to encourage nice results sometimes, and i wanna think about applying that to my software setup to sequence things occaisionally (including thr 202 itself) , and maybe releasing the patch somewhere.
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

Stomper wrote:
boomstick wrote:
Stomper wrote:If you can pass the multi timbral, i can suggest looking at Novation A-Station.
like the others, its a pain to program. but i dont think it sound thin and with a bit of the built in overdrive it doesnt sound that clean.
Stomper.
the supernova and a station have the same voice architecture, the supernova is multitimbral. so i could get a supernova and not have to pass on multi-timbrality.
You can also get a Virus TI and have the software editor.
but the A-Station is in the 300$ price range.
the TI is out of my price range. i found a supernova for $500, so i would want to go for it over the A-station, cause its pretty much 8 A-stations. but, im still not sure if its really what i want...
beam me up
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@boomstick,

can you not try out a virus TI in a shop somewhere, the virus b isnt all that different to the TI, it'll give you an idea of what you're dealing with.
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

steevio wrote:
boomstick wrote:so, the nord lead 2x is preferable to the nord lead 3 for studio work? also, are there any major differences between the 2 and the 2x?
no not really, the 3 is a much more sophisticated machine. its easy to work with in any environment.

i'm not sure what the difference between the 2 and 2X is, google it.
it seems as though people agree that the DACs in the 2 make it sound warmer than the 2x. they also say it sounds duller.
beam me up
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

boomstick wrote:
steevio wrote:
boomstick wrote:so, the nord lead 2x is preferable to the nord lead 3 for studio work? also, are there any major differences between the 2 and the 2x?
no not really, the 3 is a much more sophisticated machine. its easy to work with in any environment.

i'm not sure what the difference between the 2 and 2X is, google it.
it seems as though people agree that the DACs in the 2 make it sound warmer than the 2x. they also say it sounds duller.
i think the earlier Nords sounded better, my Nord Lead sounds warmer, fatter and more analogue than my 3.

you cant go wrong with a Nord 2, they are in a higher league than the virus / novation stuff, solid build, better sound, the only draw back is the modulation possibilities on the machine itself are limited to the obvious ones you get on most synths, whereas the virus has more interesting possibilities.
however the thing which makes the Nords far superior IMO, is the velocity morphing function, its unique to the Nord, and more than makes up for the mods, and makes it quick and easy to create different sounds.
and of course if youre into creating your controller mods in your sequencer, then the limtations in the synth itself dissappear anyway.