How has your taste progressed?

- open
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

patrick bateman wrote:I still don't understand what you are trying to say Tone-Def.
Whom did the mannheim guys steal from?
They stole something and poured water on it..
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

patrick bateman wrote:I still don't understand what you are trying to say Tone-Def.
to me it's watered down deep house.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I think the progressions that people go through musically is interesting, and I've often had some fun conversations with other music-fans going over their "Musical History", of what they used to like, what first got them EDM, etc.

It's not a conversation I take very seriously, and it's more the techno-head small-talk equivalent of "how about that weather?"

I also find it interesting that with most of the people that I know who listen to allot of minimal/minimal inspired music, the genres they liked seem to influence the type of minimal that they like now.

For example me and my boyfriend - he comes from a more housier-background in his music-listening history. So he tends to gravitate towards some of the warmer/housier sides of minimal/minimal-techno. I got into Minimal via-route of Psytrance, and allot of the stuff I gravitate towards still has that psychedelic-edge to it.

There is still a large overlap between what we like - and I like allot of music in general, but there are certian types of sounds that we tend to gravitate towards.

What I listen to now though, largely depends on mood / why I'm listening to it and if I'm going out to a club.

When I listen to music at home, I tend to be far more fussy in what I put on, and been finding that I gravitate more towards glitchy-rhythmic stuff, things that can easily fall into the background and be non-intrusive while I'm working, but still interesting enough that I can be pulled into the music. Not stuff I'd want to hear when out at a club at night though.

For relaxing at the end of the night - nothing can top Jan Jelinek it seems, his live @ beta lounge set does it for me almost every time.

When I'm going out to a club, I tend to put 'my music snobbery aside for the sake of a good time' (within reason....), although the stuff that would be on the "my preferred" sound for clubbing would be thick rolling baselines / psychedelic-type stuff (Tony Rohr, although I havent' seen him in ages)

My general progression of music taste was -- Punk->Hardcore->Psytrance->Bit of Electro->Minimal Techno, stuff that first caught my ear in Minimal was stuff like T. Raumschmere (earlier stuff), Sender Records.

I have a soft-spot for deep blippy stuff like Sleeparchive, although now usually if I'm putting on a Sleeparchive, is "if I'm in a mood" (and usually not a good one)

Now and then I'll go back to Psytrance but more for nostalgia-sake, but some of the techy-proggy stuff isn't that far removed from minimal-techno -- the super fast/squelchy "darkpsy" bothers me and I cant listen to it anymore, even though I used to like it.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tone-def wrote:
And the deep house is stolen from America?
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

tone-def wrote:
i can agree with that fully from living in Chicago my entire life and being exposed to our house scene for so long. although i like some of it, the stuff nick curly and those guys do would clear dancefloors very quickly if they played that sh!t at any of the regular house nights that go on out here. its like a cheesy, more commercialized version of the real sound. watered down is a perfect way to explain it. but yeah, Curly or Johnny D would clear the floors in two seconds if they came here with that crap
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

@ shypht
For relaxing at the end of the night - nothing can top Jan Jelinek it seems, his live @ beta lounge set does it for me almost every time.
Fancy uploading this / hooking me up with a link? Would love to have a listen ;)
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

patrick bateman wrote:
tone-def wrote:
And the deep house is stolen from America?
I wouldnt say its stolen, rather inspired and borrowed from New York and Chicago producers.

I mean its like, Detroit techno wasnt stolen by europe it went down there cause heads werent ready yet, in the rest of US.

Well maybe not the best comparison regarding the Nick Curly and that Cecile sh!t, that stuff is doo-doo anyway.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

yeah stolen isn't a word i would use. i wouldn't say any country owns any genre of music but the Americans made it and to my ears at least they do it better. it's all very subjective though :)