midi controllers

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Pettro wrote:Steevio

Sorry to be OT but it caught my attention that you say you do not use session view. Can you comment a little bit on that?
I personally would feel very restricted playing in arrangement but I know you may have a creative way of using it, that's what I'm interested in some comments on your live settings/organization.
hi mate,
its the other way round for me, i feel very restricted in session view.
i like to be able to see the files i'm working with all on the same screen.
i mix whole tunes, sections of tunes, loops, midi files playing my hardware synths, looped midi files etc., (but i dont use soft synths)
and because i work with polyrhythms, i like to be able to start files in unusual places and on off-beats etc.
in arrangement view i can move things around quickly, copy and paste loops, repeat sections etc.
also i find it useful to zoom in precisely on mixed elements to move things incrementally against each other to get better grooves.

i dunno, theres loads of reasons why i prefer it.
i can plan a set out so it has a flow and isnt so random, but can still get into jamming while i'm mixing, as long as i give myself lots of options to take it in different directions.

also my girlfriend and i do a synched up AV show, and she needs midi triggers for her visual clips in Resolume, and we both need to be able to see whats coming clearly. sometimes my midi patterns are the same ones she uses for the visuals, we couldnt possibly do any of this in session view.
i only use session view to rough out ideas.
Edward_Molton
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Edward_Molton »

sinfm wrote:
Edward_Molton wrote:Actually I think there should be a company where you can design and have you own midi-controllers build for a fair price.

Because with the most midi-controllers you have always the feeling that something is missing or other things that could improve the controller. Like more buttons on the bitstream.
How about the Lemur?

you can design your own interface
That's true. But maybe I should have specified for the price. :) The Lemur is a great tool but a bit expensive.