longest live act you've ever listen?

- open
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by db2 »

Yel 2 was dope + longest live set I've heard.
simon_s
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by simon_s »

pheek wrote:I don't want to brag but...

I played many times 2-3 hours live (especially in Detroit where they like the long journeys) but my longest set was 8 hours. That night, a friend and I played chill out/experimental live, pure improvisation for the whole time. Lots of gear and fun.
damn thats pretty epic, I presume you had a few toilet breaks in between.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

camus wrote:
Lots of gear and fun.
maybe not for the crowd ...
We didn't decide to play that long, it was mainly because we had people interested and into it. I usually don't like to play if people are bored but if you're at the right place, right time then things can get magical.

We stopped because we were exhausted and yes, had a few toilet pauses.
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

whats the best live set everybodys heard?

mines was probably bruno pronsato room 1 in fabric.
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

I love the Pantha Du Prince livesets@Betalounge

and I would like to hear more new livesets from Ion Ludwig, Jesse Somfay (does he do livesets?), Pheek and Digitaline, because I love their new releases and I now I prefer listening to livesets than entire tracks.

I fell in love with livesets, it's like listening to an audiobook, it's an audio travel, and it's more and more difficult for me to listen to tracks alone. :( Help
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Dragonsand wrote:I love the Pantha Du Prince livesets@Betalounge

and I would like to hear more new livesets from Ion Ludwig, Jesse Somfay (does he do livesets?), Pheek and Digitaline, because I love their new releases and I now I prefer listening to livesets than entire tracks.

I fell in love with livesets, it's like listening to an audiobook, it's an audio travel, and it's more and more difficult for me to listen to tracks alone. :( Help
Jesse doesn't play live.

I'm with you on the live set tip... but some DJs are great at story telling though!
Pettro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pettro »

Couldn't find anything longer than 1.5 hours live set of those guys you named.

I would personally like to play around 2.5 hours myself. I try to look at long DJ sets that I enjoy and analyze the flow and how can I apply that to my live PA.

It's a weird thing how for instance a Gaiser set is so amazing for me at the beginning, but around 30 minutes I'm completely fed up with the sound. On the other hand, I do not feel any initial gumps with Pronsato, but when he stops after an hour and I feel wanting more music from him! sometimes I even replay the set I just heard.

What most amaze me is that his bass/kick is pretty much the same all the way. I guess that's what he does with his analog machines and maybe is difficult for him to change notes/vibe on the fly...but dam is so deep dark and makes you dance.

Another totally hero for me is Seph. He does know how to keep it interesting for long periods of time, but haven't heard anything beyond 1.5 hour mark. What I don't like too much is that he is more track oriented on his live PAs.

What I'm planning to do is completely delete built tracks from my session view and build 10 different clips of kick/bass of different moods/feels.
Then built 20 drum rhythms...and a bunch of synths/lead clips...and 10 or clips of "fillers" with voices, background noise, pads, etc

Throw them all in session view and give each clip a color dependeing of the mood of the sounds of the clip. (happy, dark, house, techy, etc)
That way I can control de vibe of what want to play and respond according to crowd response.

What I'm worried is that my live set will lose some audio quality compared to my pre-made tracks live set. Since every clip was conceived on his own I would have to place EQ and compressors everywhere and do the mixing, sort of mastering on the fly. This I’m afraid wont be too effective on the crowd. I would rather spend time with effects and dancing.
I listened to a Half Hawaii set and I thought wow this is cool for someone who is a musician and knows these guys are playing almost completely live, but for someone who doesn’t care about the geeky stuff I bet that set surely sucks.

Any links to long live sets?
dsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dsoul »

Gez Varley aka G-Man is really great doin a live at one of our parties here in Frankfurt for about 2 hours! that guy is working only with hardware and the sound was massive.