Dub Techno

- open
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Is Mind Over Midi considered dub techno?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1eVrHjX_rU
HEFTY
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by HEFTY »

what exactly is dub techno anyways? or am i entering a world of pain asking?
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

HEFTY wrote:what exactly is dub techno anyways? or am i entering a world of pain asking?
...you mean "asking for a world of pain"?

anyway, listen to all of the fine music-makers** mentioned in previous posts and you'll have a solid idea. my definition is anything that utilizes similar techniques as the original Dub producers from Jamaica.

read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_music

by wikis definition, pretty much all electronic music today can be considered "Dub" since the studio-as-instrument philosophy is the rule rather than the exception. if you haven't already, you might want to pick up some King Tubby (and others listed in the link above).

**note: tired of referring to electronic musicians as "producers". it seems like a half step to me. am i alone in this?
HEFTY
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by HEFTY »

good_god wrote:
HEFTY wrote:what exactly is dub techno anyways? or am i entering a world of pain asking?
...you mean "asking for a world of pain"?

anyway, listen to all of the fine music-makers** mentioned in previous posts and you'll have a solid idea. my definition is anything that utilizes similar techniques as the original Dub producers from Jamaica.

read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_music

by wikis definition, pretty much all electronic music today can be considered "Dub" since the studio-as-instrument philosophy is the rule rather than the exception. if you haven't already, you might want to pick up some King Tubby (and others listed in the link above).

**note: tired of referring to electronic musicians as "producers". it seems like a half step to me. am i alone in this?
hmm ill have to have a good listen methinks coz im well practised in the art of jamaican stylee dub music like king tubby etc but cant imagine what that wud have to do with techno.......im intrigued
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

HEFTY wrote:
hmm ill have to have a good listen methinks coz im well practised in the art of jamaican stylee dub music like king tubby etc but cant imagine what that wud have to do with techno.......im intrigued
good point. most of it is superficially labeled. "echo+delay+bass+420 friendly=dub techno"
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I think there are two genres

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I went for a long walk down through the park today (So hot out! ) with a varied selection of dub techno on my mp3 player and this post popped to mind.

I think there are different degrees of dub techno and although there are already enough sub generes in electronic music I feel there is yet one more to come. I think there are two distinct sounds that are lumped as dub techno.

There is a sound that is like dub music but with a techno structure and there is another one that is much more like techno made with dub elements.

I would call the former dub techno but since that is the name of the parent genre I think maybe it should be called "techno dub" to avoid confusion.

The latter I would call "dubby techno" cause its really techno with dub flavour.

I don't expect the world to adopt my nomenclature. Its just an observation.

Good summertime tunes 8)
jaylun
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaylun »

Even reggea artists liek Fat freddy's drop are kicking it with dub-techno.
Listen to their new track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nneje_2zauA
sickness
HEFTY
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by HEFTY »

any links to some good examples of a strictly dub techno mix?