I don't even know who Ricardo Willalobo is

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

whatever wrote:detroit is not a sealed shell from the rest of the world.
obviously you've never spent a lot of time, or, in omar's case, your entire life, in detroit.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

well i must have add a question mark to that statement.

my impression gained in time (meeting kenny larkin and kevin saunderson, and reading about jeff mills, derrick may, omar s and others) is that detroit artists ignore the rest of the world because they think they are and have "the sh!t" and that's all. of course detroit is a place for extraordinary music, but...wtf with this attitude? it is the general impression i have over american people as a general view. they are ignorant and have no idea of the rest of the world (please don't feel ofended, i'm not refering to the ones here on this forum, that obviously opened up to the rest of the world).
what is the point of this kind of attitude?
Last edited by whatever on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

as a producer he should know who villalobos is as hes probably one of the best in the game. speaks his mind fair enough i just ant see past his arrogance tho
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

whatever wrote:what is the point of this kind of attitude?
that's a question people have been asking about detroit people for about 30yrs, and they're going to keep asking it for probably another 30yrs (or until the city is completely abandoned).

the detroit debate has been of hot contention for as long as i can remember. i don't know why or when exactly, but part of the attitude stems from the fact that, though people always credit detroit as the birthplace and a major point in history, no one gives it anything more than that. its just a footnote to people, and anyone that has worked so hard to get where they are and do what they do, especially in a city as desolate and harsh as detroit, only to get brushed under the rug and to play second fiddle to people that used their concepts (or even their loops) and made something else that garnered a lot of praise? that sh!t hurts, man.

i don't see it as attitude...its a defense mechanism. the wounded bear will still protect its cubs.

as for the villalobos comment...seriously...how much good publicity is it for him to say something like that? the guy has the most talked about interview online right now because of one sentence. sounds like he knows what he's doing, if you ask me.

omar isn't as dumb as people like to present him to be...sit him down for more than 5min. and you'll be amazed at his conceptual, creative outlook on things. abrasive, foul mouthed, and gangster as he may be, there's a method to his madness.

cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

grace anxiety wrote:as a producer he should know who villalobos is as hes probably one of the best in the game. speaks his mind fair enough i just ant see past his arrogance tho
call me crazy, but do you think a guy like omar, working a full time, assembly line job in detroit, with a family and kids, trolls the internet for dumb sh!t like youtube vidoes of villalobos, prowls resident advisor, or dicks around on message boards in between punching the clock, eating, sleeping, and making some music?

probably not...

patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

element.8 wrote:
grace anxiety wrote:as a producer he should know who villalobos is as hes probably one of the best in the game. speaks his mind fair enough i just ant see past his arrogance tho
call me crazy, but do you think a guy like omar, working a full time, assembly line job in detroit, with a family and kids, trolls the internet for dumb sht like youtube vidoes of villalobos, prowls resident advisor, or dicks around on message boards in between punching the clock, eating, sleeping, and making some music?

probably not...
WOW, holy sh!t, he got a full time job!?!?!? Damn, and a family, AND making techno music... WOW, I'm amazed !!!! It's crazy he has time to eat !!
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

patrick bateman wrote:WOW, holy sht, he got a full time job!?!?!? Damn, and a family, AND making techno music... WOW, I'm amazed !!!! It's crazy he has time to eat !!

i forgot to add "dodging gunfire" and "making sure you still have a job" in to those things... :roll:

Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

@element.8

haha poor omar, we cant imagine how hard it must be to live in detroit