Cubase 5

- ask away
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

that microsoft app had a hell of a lot more convincing promo than cubase 5 had.

I give it 3/5 stars for acting
I give the sound engine and (brilliant) gui 4.5/5 stars,
but I dont like the routing capabilities so it only gets 2/5 stars there
akeelm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by akeelm »

I've got Cubase Studio 4 and 5.

Currently playing about with 5, there's some major elements that make workflow so much better in 4 and 5 over 3. Things like side-chaining, in place editing, the mixer with the inserts above the top, the ability to copy and past inserts, or drag them to another slot so you don't have to recreate it from scratch and the ability to route new tracks back to older groups.

I haven't played about with Variaudio yet, but it looks pretty cool (pitch correction and you can convert mono-phonic audio into MIDI!). Groove agent is a pretty neat VST though (drum sampler). I'm not sure I really like the way the envelopes are configured on Prologue.

The new effects are definitely a welcome addition.

If you're using Cubase 3, you're seriously missing out!
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

victorgonzales wrote:
NoAffiliation wrote:
mo's taverne wrote:cub.... what ?!
nobody use this anymore. go home. lol

let me dream about maxforlive........this is future.
dude, people were making amazing techno (with and without MAX) way before Live even existed. technology doesn't define music...

give me cubase over ableton any day as a production tool
I agree. I use both programs but I like cubase better. Not saying its a better program for making music but I personally like the way i work in cubase better.

The Max thing is cool for live and If you like live and max thats great for you but doesn't mean your going to make better songs than someone using something else.

This whole idea that one program is better is about like saying a guitarist will write better music because of the brand name of their guitar.
+1.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Well, if the subject aleady bumped.
I have upgraded to version 5 and i must say it does worth it.
the MPC like sampler is OK. it doesnt have too many feature, only basic modulation and such, but thats all i need.
the new reverb sound great if you use IR's (i do mean the impulses).
even though i have it for a few months now, i havent had the chance to play with the loopmash and see if it works for me, but its a nice instrument to have.
the highlight for me is the beat designer.
I have a korg ER-1 and Vermona DRM1 MKIII.
now with the beat designer i have full control on the swing and velocity of each pad/channel.
before that i could only control the swing from the ER-1 which is 50%-75% overall and not to a specific pad, and the velocity was by accent 50% or 100%, so getting full control on both on the same time via one plugin made a big difference for me.
septa
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by septa »

a very happy C5 user here as well. live is great for getting ideas down quickly, jamming, and ...well, live use. but it just feels very awkward to me for full track production. i'm very used to using 2 screens and just the fact that i can't have different portions of Live in their own little windows so i could arrange them to my liking is a huge minus for me.

anyway, after using cubase for some years, it feels very natural to me. investing a bit of time to memorize/set-up hotkeys, creating start-up templates, etc made it even more enjoyable to work with (but i suppose this goes for any sequencer).
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

septa wrote:anyway, after using cubase for some years, it feels very natural to me. investing a bit of time to memorize/set-up hotkeys, creating start-up templates, etc made it even more enjoyable to work with (but i suppose this goes for any sequencer).
no. Pro Tools doesnt allow hotkeys. only templates. :roll:
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Stomper wrote:
septa wrote:anyway, after using cubase for some years, it feels very natural to me. investing a bit of time to memorize/set-up hotkeys, creating start-up templates, etc made it even more enjoyable to work with (but i suppose this goes for any sequencer).
he's talking about Cubase :roll:

How is you Vermona? i've ordered one
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

tone-def wrote:
Stomper wrote:
he's talking about Cubase :roll:

How is you Vermona? i've ordered one
i was refering to "but i suppose this goes for any sequencer"

its a great unit. i dont like the hi hats that much. i only use for very closed hats, but i love the kick, snare and clap. i use those all the time.
you can get a great sub bass from drum1/2, but you cant play different notes. you need to record, change the pitch and record again.
the only one i dont use is the multi. either i dont get that channel yet, or i just dont like what it gives.