Johnny D Tracks

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tone-def wrote:
blizt wrote:I can't believe so many people think his music is boring. That only could mean u don't pay attention listening to his music. So many instruments and layers playing, fading in and fading out, bumping the track and slowing it down, like it's moving you somewhere. Try listening to his stuff on headphones.
This is the mnml forum :!:

We don't like so many instruments and layers :!:

Also we like club music not headphone music ;)
ehm... http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41342
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

patrick bateman wrote:
tone-def wrote:
blizt wrote:I can't believe so many people think his music is boring. That only could mean u don't pay attention listening to his music. So many instruments and layers playing, fading in and fading out, bumping the track and slowing it down, like it's moving you somewhere. Try listening to his stuff on headphones.

ehm... http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41342
:? what are you trying to say? We have a lot of psytrance producers on the forum?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

SHAP wrote:
tone-def wrote:

You should probably talk only for yourself on that one :D
You did read this

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

You comments about headphones and wanting to hear pheeks new simplistic tunes inspired my post :)
emmerichk_
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emmerichk_ »

minimal music not means simple, this is more than just make a loop and feel happynes with it ...

is not just huge layers, every part, every sound needs a proper work.

the thing is, the music need to sound perfect in a loud club and in headphones at the same time,... if not, what is the purpose to made it??.. at this time there is a millions of people who "makes" minimal, but a lot of them dont have a clue to how to mix perfectly a track... of course music is matter of tastes... but you have to "delivery" a quality work, thats the diference of good or bad, more than i like it or not...

complexity is the result of having a good ear for details, is not just to put a beat-repeater in the complete track.... :P complexity is the result of years of experience....

this just my point of view... i respect every views..
+++++++++++
ah, and i dont like johnny d's music, just and example... DJ tiesto :P (hehehe) can sell millions of copys but his music still sucks... got it?

cheers

emmerichk
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

Johnny D = easy listening tech-house... still its quite danceable, which is good of course

Sure hes got talent, sure his sound has a unique feel to it and of course it has some special groove going on, but thats it...

Has nothing to do with "not paying enough attention" thats bs, its just a matter of taste.

If you want to get a impression of my definition of a "great groove" listen to Marco Carolas stuff... and dont even try it on headphones ^^

i agree with prussell, Johnny D´s sound is to 'light and easy' for my taste
"there aren't many problems which can't be solved with a kick drum on the first beat and a snare drum on the 3rd beat, and a whole lot of sub bass in the middle"

Setup: Macbook Pro 15" 2,5 • MOTU Ultralite • Ableton Live 8 Suite • NI Maschine • UC-33e • Novation Launchpad • Novation ReMOTE 25 SL Compact •
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

his track Manipulation is bloody brilliant
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

dayumn. where i'm at? :roll:

rosenkranz, now thats a proper "layers playin' fadin' in'n'out bumpin' da" track. :lol:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

tone-def wrote:
SHAP wrote:
tone-def wrote:

You should probably talk only for yourself on that one :D
You did read this

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

You comments about headphones and wanting to hear pheeks new simplistic tunes inspired my post :)
Yeah well I was talking about PRODUCING music ONLY with headphones, not about listening or liking it.

Sure I'd like to hear simplistic techno, but I also love listening to Jazz for example- so that doesn't say nothing.

Im just saying:

-You can have a lot of instruments and layers in one track, it can still be minimal as hell.

-It's way harder to produce music that makes people move while listening to it in their living room with headphones, not ONLY in a club. And just think about it- If you got some cool stuff on headphones, how dope will it sound when you play it in a club?