Drums in deep house

- ask away
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

Thank you very much for all your answers :D ;) This topic as success :D

Is the 909 the unique drummachine used in old house music (Chicago, DJ Sneak...) ?
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

tintin2085 wrote:Is the 909 the unique drummachine used in old house music (Chicago, DJ Sneak...) ?
not exclusively, by any means.

LinnDrum
RZ1
....etc....basically, if the drum machine was available in Chicago in the 80s, it probably made an appearance on old house records. also remember some house producers (especially into the 90s) used things like an R8 for their drums...

as for DJ Sneak: he sampled (mostly famous) disco records for 95% of his productions back then; he used more original sounds for the tougher, Relief-style stuff. the percussion he overlaid was similar to a 909 though...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tintin2085 wrote:Thank you very much for all your answers :D ;) This topic as success :D

Is the 909 the unique drummachine used in old house music (Chicago, DJ Sneak...) ?
not uniquely, it was the influence of detroit techno which brought the 909 more into house music, most likely because it sounded so much better than many of the other drum machines around, especially the kick.
with the exception of the 808, the other roland machines had weak kick drums.
the 909 was indespensible for techno.
which ever way you look at it, the TR909 must have been used on more techno and house records than any other machine by miles.
nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nathan_fr »

Drumazon VST, Rex loops, Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, sample collections like Vengeance cds and... you're done.

Although, if you wanna do something different, PLEASE don't use vengeance, I'm begging you !

There's sOOO many producers who use them.

More than everything, 2008 was the Vengeance year I'd say.
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

just search for the oldest sample packs on the i-net. Youll see lots of deephouse packs coming through instead of vengeance packs.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

vengeance deephouse
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I got a great sample pack from Mike Huckaby. It’s got some lush tones in it from the Waldorf Wave. Thing is I find myself using these samples a lot because I cant afford a Wave or any hardware that I'm unsure of, so I'm stuck using VST's that are meant to emulate the Waldorf synthesizer, but unfortunately they sound nothing like it.

For me I often find myself using samples when I want to make deep stuff because I find it quite hard to get a nice decent Rhodes sound from a VST. I would love to get some bits of hardware, but want to fork out for something I’m going to get lots of use out. Any of you synthesis people (steevio etc…) know of any synthesizers that might be worth looking into for nice deep stuff?

If any of you could take the time to point me in the right direction that would be quality. As a whole I’m quite happy with the music I’m making so take a listen to www.myspace.com/benmicklewright to see where my head is at and maybe from that you could suggest a synthesizer.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:I got a great sample pack from Mike Huckaby. It’s got some lush tones in it from the Waldorf Wave. Thing is I find myself using these samples a lot because I cant afford a Wave or any hardware that I'm unsure of, so I'm stuck using VST's that are meant to emulate the Waldorf synthesizer, but unfortunately they sound nothing like it.

For me I often find myself using samples when I want to make deep stuff because I find it quite hard to get a nice decent Rhodes sound from a VST. I would love to get some bits of hardware, but want to fork out for something I’m going to get lots of use out. Any of you synthesis people (steevio etc…) know of any synthesizers that might be worth looking into for nice deep stuff?

If any of you could take the time to point me in the right direction that would be quality. As a whole I’m quite happy with the music I’m making so take a listen to www.myspace.com/benmicklewright to see where my head is at and maybe from that you could suggest a synthesizer.
digital is lacking compared to analogue in some areas, sure, but digital synthesis isn't a waste of your time at all, especially if it's either digital or samples.

Synthesis can be a very expressive way to creating beautiful sounds and it's definitely worth have a deep look into.

With synths (like all instruments I guess) it's about finding one that inspires you, where you're not thinking about using it, you just kinda merge with it and there are no barriers.

For some people, analogue is like this. But I find some digital synths to be inspiring too.

I'm not so sure whether it's about finding a synth that suits your style of music, but rather a synth that suits you as a person. There are many different styles of synthesis (and different synths have different indivudual takes on these different styles), and it depends on the person that you are whther a certain tool inspires you or not.

For example, Monolake seems to be a big fan quite complex FM sounds... dense textures and strange tones with lots of weird modulations. Whereas someone else might feel happier with a meaty analogue synth with the nobs right in front of them.

I got into synthesis through using a few high quality vsts that featured a few different kinds of synthesis (subtractive, FM and wavetable/additive (like that Waldorf box)), and over a few years I progressed from surfing presets and tweaking them slightly to having a pretty decent idea of how to make a certain sound and also finding sounds that I wasn't thinking of to begin with (but I still find presets to be a valuable learning resource... there are some amazing sound designers out there, and reverse engineering them can give you some great tips).

A specific exmaple ofa good digital synth is Zebra 2 by Urs Heckmann. It is very nice sounding (well, the subtractive side is weaker than analogue) with an inspiring workflow and offers many different styles of synthesis, and of course is polyphonic and you can use as many as your cpu can handle.

It's difficult though, cos maybe getting a nice monophonic Roland box, for example, would put you on a better path towards getting friendlier with synthesis and giving you an inpsiring tool to use in your productions. Sometimes limitations can be inpsiring, and sometimes they can be, well, limiting.

OK, chatting sh!t now... not sure if I've been any help. good luck though... it's a pretty thick jungle, but one that's definitely well worth exploring.