Synth recommendations

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Martian Telecom wrote:And more to the point, it doesn't really matter if you are using a dco synth or a va, they all sound more or less alike and the processing is the main thing.

It isn't worth splitting hairs over. Get an old roland poly synth and call it a day.
i agree with you mate that no amount of gear is going to make an untalented musician any better, but you're assuming quite a lot, for instance that the people on this forum and the person who asked the question are somehow untalented, and dont want to know about other peoples experiences with synthesizers.
i completely dissagree with you about all synths sounding more or less alike.
that is just blatantly untrue. i dont have two synths that sound even remotely alike. everyone has its idiosyncracies, its own way of modulating parameters, filter and oscillator character etc etc.
if you think synths are all basically the same, you mustn't of spent much time programming a variety of synths.
i'm not being an asshole, i just think its wrong to dismiss the entire industry that has grown around the colourful and varied world of synthesizer design over the last 40 years.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Martian Telecom wrote:, it doesn't really matter if you are using a dco synth or a va, they all sound more or less alike and the processing is the main thing.
:shock:
random
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by random »

thought i'd register to post a reply here.
i've had my juno 106 for years, and i love the old thing.

it's got the obligatory voice chip that comes in and out, but using the sliders in realtime is so much fun.
it quickly achieves a result from an idea.

warm, rich basslines.
cool envelope spluttering effects/noises.
good midi implementation.
and i was able to find a librarian for it too, to finally get the presets...

my 10c worth.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

[quote]if you think synths are all basically the same, you mustn't of spent much time programming a variety of synths.
i'm not being an asshole, i just think its wrong to dismiss the entire industry that has grown around the colourful and varied world of synthesizer design over the last 40 years.[/quote]

I bought my first synth about 14 years ago, I've had and used plenty of synths. Wavetable, Subtractive DCO, Subtractive VCO, Vector, FM, VA, Additive...

The point that I am trying to make is that having something to say is more important than having a room full of tools to say it with. If you write a good tune nobody is going to say damn the Prophet 600 on that track was hot! No one is really going to be able to pin it down.

Having a room full of variations on the same synth is more about collector fetishism than about making music. Give me a complex digital synth, a rompler, one subtractive poly and one vco based mono synth and I more or less have enough possibilities for an entire career. How much more do you need?

I currently don't even have that much, I have access to three channels of midi and a 707 and I am surprised with what I can do with a set up that humble. It is great because I have to think about my limitations and write around them accordingly.

If I had a computer and a room full of synths I will just run the same sequence through 5 boards, arrange the audio loops in my DAW, slather them in vst effects and make the same boring stuff that everyone else is making.

I am making the best music of my career and making the most personal music I have ever made. It isn't about having piles of gear, it is about having good ideas and executing them cleverly.

I would love to have all the classic roland x0x stuff and old arps and moogs, and weird modular sh!t, and 10 grand in pre amps and recording gear but I don't need it to express myself. Moodyman made all his classic sh!t on a k2000. I see those going for about 250usd on craigslist these days. Do the machines make you funky or are you funky with the machine?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

It's a pretty hard discussion to be 100% definite about in my opinion.

Of course a musician should be able to communicate with any device that they lay their hands on, but also I feel part of being a musician is to develop a language with these devices. And part of doing that is to find the devices that you are very comfortable with.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that the machine plays as valuable part in the music as the person manipulating it.

A device developed by a passionate engineer, like Bob Moog in the hardware world or Urs Heckmann in the software world, has a personality to it that makes it almost impossible not to be expressive with it, especially in the hands of a passionate musician.

I fully agree with what some of Martian Telecom says, but when we have options about what machines we use, why not express ourselves by making an informed choice about what we use to express ourselves with?
NickSoundDT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NickSoundDT »

I can't recommend the DSI Evolver enough. By far my favorite synth. The features have been listed by others in this thread already, so I won't repeat that information.

I also really love the Alesis Micron, especially for doing minimalistic but powerful sounds. Some of the sound design options in that thing are unreal for the price range. The filters are especially great, IMO.

- Nick
Ableton Live sound design tutorials
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Martian Telecom wrote:
if you think synths are all basically the same, you mustn't of spent much time programming a variety of synths.
i'm not being an asshole, i just think its wrong to dismiss the entire industry that has grown around the colourful and varied world of synthesizer design over the last 40 years.
I bought my first synth about 14 years ago, I've had and used plenty of synths. Wavetable, Subtractive DCO, Subtractive VCO, Vector, FM, VA, Additive...

The point that I am trying to make is that having something to say is more important than having a room full of tools to say it with. If you write a good tune nobody is going to say damn the Prophet 600 on that track was hot! No one is really going to be able to pin it down.

Having a room full of variations on the same synth is more about collector fetishism than about making music. Give me a complex digital synth, a rompler, one subtractive poly and one vco based mono synth and I more or less have enough possibilities for an entire career. How much more do you need?

I currently don't even have that much, I have access to three channels of midi and a 707 and I am surprised with what I can do with a set up that humble. It is great because I have to think about my limitations and write around them accordingly.

If I had a computer and a room full of synths I will just run the same sequence through 5 boards, arrange the audio loops in my DAW, slather them in vst effects and make the same boring stuff that everyone else is making.

I am making the best music of my career and making the most personal music I have ever made. It isn't about having piles of gear, it is about having good ideas and executing them cleverly.

I would love to have all the classic roland x0x stuff and old arps and moogs, and weird modular sht, and 10 grand in pre amps and recording gear but I don't need it to express myself. Moodyman made all his classic sht on a k2000. I see those going for about 250usd on craigslist these days. Do the machines make you funky or are you funky with the machine?
but mate who said anything about piles of gear, rooms full of synths ?
you brought that into the equation here no one else. nrjizer was only asking for synth recommendations, and we were just trying to help him.

i agree with most of what you're saying, i dont have a room full of synths either, i also work with a limited set of gear, but i do know that there's no comparison between say my access virus and my SH101, the 101 is completely incapable of doing the things the virus can do, and the virus has nothing like the luxurious warmth that 101 is capable of. they are just two entirely different instruments.
a particular synth can completely shape the way you make music, i dont know why you have to bring fetishism into this, you are talking about a handfull of people who have money to burn, and dismissing the majority of electronic musicians who really do care about the instruments they use.

are we not musicians ? and do we not chose which instruments we use because we particularly like their character just like a drummer choses his particular drum or a guitarist would chose to use a Gibson Les Paul rather than a Fender Stratocaster because of its particular tone ?

i'm not just trying to wind you up or be argumentative for the sake of it, but your recommendation of 'just get an old Roland poly and call it a day' is the only synth i ever had trouble trying to write techno on, it was a jupiter 6, and it constantly drifted out of tune, so that it would be a semitone out by the end of the tune. i gave up, and i know other people who had the same problem. they also fetch very high second hand prices.

end of rant. sorry

:)
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

really, a vco mono synth doesn't sound like a digital poly synth? You just aren't programming hard enough.