Beatport tax?

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Vermi, you are of course right about that, since Norway is not member of EU, so they need to set this up for the specific countries!

For me, if I buy the stuff on Beatport through my company, then they shouldn't charge the VAT either, because companies in different countries don't charge each other VAT. So that's also something they need to sort out.

But you are way off saying that this money will go into the pocket of Beatport.
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

I refuse to believe I wasn't paying vat on what I bought before. It seems to me like they're charging the same then putting vat on top of it? so if it's 13% I think you're actually paying 26%?
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

I'm stateside, and all websites are tax free,
unless the business is based in your specific state

(californians buying something through a californian owned site)

as far as EMI suing over Mechanicals, EMI would only have jurisdiction over songs sold from EMI's catalog.

Not anything else by Independent Labels.
I'd doubt Beatport would pass any fees from that lawsuit onto the consumer.

I avoid purchasing any music from the 5 major labels.

and try to support Indie's as much as possible,

especially by buying vinyl!

on a side note,

how many Indy Labels / Producers are part of royalty collection societies?

and how many DJ's actually pay those groups performance rights from those songs?
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

so do you pay the nu VAT or not? why is it 15% like said, what the meaning of this figure since it's not official french VAT for exemple? why BEATPORT did not warn its client prior to the implementation of this "VAT"? those questions have to be answered fast IMHO , or many will dump BEATPORT.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:Vermi, you are of course right about that, since Norway is not member of EU, so they need to set this up for the specific countries!

For me, if I buy the stuff on Beatport through my company, then they shouldn't charge the VAT either, because companies in different countries don't charge each other VAT. So that's also something they need to sort out.

But you are way off saying that this money will go into the pocket of Beatport.
You can just claim it back anyways cant you? Thats what I do with all my music related stuff.
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

Marcus Stork wrote:Same sht for Sweden!

7.50 euro for a 50.00 euro basket!
:shock: thats crazy!
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dav.id »

any breaking news from Beatport???
:|
tabula rasa
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I asked our Beatport rep for an explanation but he's just back from holiday, so still trying to get through his mails. But he promised to give an explanation... curious about the full story.

Anyway, if it's VAT I'm not that pissed off, but the mechanical rights thing for labels like ours, now that's something that I am not so happy about. I mean, we have been paying for two years for vinyl (reproduction rights) and got radio play etc, but so far haven't seen a cent back from these collection agencies. So, when they force Beatport to deduct that money from our statementr, I feel like they are robbing us basically. Especially since no artists on our label (apart from some remixers) aren't registered with such a collection company, and so I think they should simply keep their greedy fingers of our stuff. -frown 2

I expressed this already to BP and the fact that many people are pissed of about the tax thing, and that we are a bit afraid that this will push even more people to illegal downloading instead of buying legal tracks off beatport. Especially for us little independant peeps, this is a huge problem.