Good 808 drum machine alternatives?

- ask away
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Probably one of the the trigger out impulse sounds.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

thom wrote:Probably one of the the trigger out impulse sounds.
sorry about the vagueness (never actually used one) but yeah, sounds like maybe it's that.
signal:Noise
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by signal:Noise »

A slightly different route would be to get an Alesis HR-16 and burn your own E-proms with 808 samples. Slightly more technical, but HR-16 are pretty cheap on eBay and as an added bonus you could Circuit Bend the drum machine as well for added creative possibilities.

I've not done this my self but have heard good reports from people who have.

http://burnkit2600.com/gear/hr-16-diy-sound-roms/
stepwriterun
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stepwriterun »

I have a Drumstation and I used to use it a lot before I got into software, but I did like the sound more for the 808 than the 909. The only reason I keep it around now is for the DIN sync output.

Now, when I'm not using a plugin, I use a Jomox M-Base (kicks/bass only) or the Airbase (kick, snare, hats, etc...). They're analog, but not really like an 808 soundwise (obviously no sequencer). However, the sequencer on the 808 is half the fun, so IMHO, if you want that part too you should check out the Machinedrum or the Jomox X-Base 888 or 999.
(I just picked up a 999 recently). The problem you run into with the machinedrum/888/999 option is that these machines cost almost as much, if not more (new) than an 808.

I've read good things about the Vermona DRM drum synthesizers but I haven't used one.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Thanks for all the suggestions. :D

Also, does anyone know where I might be able to get a sample of this 'trigger impulse' thing?
Davlov
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Davlov »

Wir machen weiter
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

AK wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. :D

Also, does anyone know where I might be able to get a sample of this 'trigger impulse' thing?
check out Egypt Egypt - Egyptian Lover. you could snip a nice sample out of that. or maybe even from Al-Nafaayish, as you mentioned. a lot cheaper than forking out for a machinedrum or what have you. In fact, if you're really looking for those retro sounds then you might as well sample it. A lot of people are recommending some very expensive solutions here. Always amazes me how many people say they have a machinedrum - you can buy a car for less than one of those things.
viva hate
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by viva hate »

AK wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. :D

I just recorded the CP trig out from my 808. I want 50% of the royalites of course, hehe

http://www.repeatle.com/mnml/808trig.wav
Last edited by viva hate on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.