detroit

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i really want to chime in on this, but i want to make sure it, unlike most of my other tirades and rants, isn't so callous and brash.

but yeah...i'll interject eventually.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

dsat has it right.

People say house music wasn't invented in Chicago, either. This is fine, because 99.9% of the artists who created and nourished the house scene back in the day will tell you that regardless of whether or not house was "invented" here, it sure as hell "happened" here.

That's really the best way to look at it with Detroit and techno as well.
'gameover'
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 'gameover' »

ok with almost everything that dsat said but:
dsat wrote:Also, I'm not black. I'm white and culturally blocked .We simply don't have that racial segregation history in Europe.
saaay whaat?¿?????

nuff said.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

'gameover' wrote:ok with almost everything that dsat said but:
dsat wrote:Also, I'm not black. I'm white and culturally blocked .We simply don't have that racial segregation history in Europe.
saaay whaat?¿?????

nuff said.
we don't! i guess what i meant to say is, not that kind of segregation
it's culturally very different
of course we have racism in europe, but it's a different story
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

kristofason wrote:I have FULL respect for Detroit's massive influence on Techno but i don't see why we have to refer to it all the time,its been global for a long time now plus its supposed to be cutting edge music,why do we have to always refer to its origins?
TwelveHundred
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TwelveHundred »

Michigan itself is different, some of the artists that influence us. Detroit is a weird scene...

I guess in a nutshell like sneaky said, visit.

I was born here and live in the metro, lets say that if I had a oppertunity to move to Europe, NYC or the Chi.... I would go without hesitation.

I am a little burnt out if you will.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Much of the early detroit techno probably would have been labeled as house music or even garage in the early to mid 80s in chicago and new york as played by guys like Knuckles, Hardy, Levan, Humphries, and other pioneers of afterhour dj nightlife.

Ron Hardy was certainly THE one who dug FAR beyond anyone else when it came to all night after hour dance music and i think without him, techno music would be a different story today.

And then theres Energy Flash.....Ill leave it at that.
:twisted: