Producer chicks

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

thomasjaldemark wrote:Im with Atheory all the way here, you wrote what i didnt have the energy to do earlier :)

and i hope minimaltechnohouse is on a irony tip here, otherwise i know a lot of caves that may fit..
Maybe im living up to the macho stereotype a bit, but i really do think (in the case of 100% hetrosexuals anyway) that brain chemistry really makes men and women fundamentally different!!

Dont ignore it, embrace it, its what lifes about, making schweeeeet love....
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

Its a mans world
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

I should stop drinking this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

And eating this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rE0EakhG8

ORRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :x :x :x :x :x
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Producer chicks

Post by victorgonzales »

Atheory wrote:I think this topic could be really interesting, but people should think before they post. its the 21st century, yet there are a lot of cavemen opinions being thrown around, so sorry for being a pr*ck but.....

victorgonzales wrote: I figure girls are just not down for learning the software or hardware since they are more about the passion side of music rather than the technical side.
ridiculous, sweeping statement. nothing to back this up, its like giving anecdotal evidence in court. mentally, men and women are more alike than they are different, and have equal capacities to understand/learn. social conditioning/expectation is far more likely a factor.
victorgonzales wrote: I bet it has something to do with alot of womens self esteem issues. All the chicks I have ever known that start a hobby ussually give up after a short time with the excuse that they just can't do it.
i am almost speechless at reading this, its just misogyny. i dont mean to be vicious but if a woman read that it makes this forum a very hostile place for them to post, im sure im not alone in feeling this way. what you are describing is a HUMAN trait. its like if i said "all americans care more about eating beefburgers than good literature and it shows in their opinions about the world." its just out of order. from your posts on this forum, you seem like a nice guy, always ready to be helpful when people ask questions etc, so im a little surprise by your comment.
Dusk wrote: The male brain is analytical and the female brain empathic.
once again, just a sweeping, nonesense statement. an analytical brain would probably try and read about gender conditioning before before branding an entire sex as either analytical or empathic. that doesnt make you a woman. gender is not a black and white issue.

what i think is most interesting is that people are treating gender as a black and white thing, when its really not. all people are different and face sepertate influences and experiences. THESE are what form people predominantly.

if two childern are born, one a boy and one a girl, they get dressed generally in different colour clothes, traditionally blue and pink.

their toys are mostly stuff like cars, action men etc for boys
dolls, playhouses etc for girls.

if they both fall and hurt their knees they can be expected to be treated differently.

this is where it takes its roots.

we treat sexes differently, thats why they become different.
Calm down dude. I think women are very capable mentaly of everything men are. Problem is in our society girls are trained to think they are lesser and for some reason they accept it. Hence the low self esteem comment. Maybe girls are different wherever your at but most of the ones I meet have been brainwashed with britney spears and paris hilton bullshit.

Nothing more awesome than chicks that ignore what society tells them to be and just do what they want. Im just curious if any of it ties in with reasons that girls don't really produce alot. I know there are plenty of girls that love dance music and the few that do decide to produce are just as good at it as dudes.

Just wondering if synths are just a guy thing or somethin. Not many chicks I know are into Math either and music can be very similar when you get down to the details.
royen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by royen »

I'm with Atheory on this one.
Were different creatures put on the planet to do different things, i.e. hunt sht and fix sht (men), gossip and pick fruit (women)...
Well that explains a lot. Here we have abandoned the hunter-gatherer society since, oh, about fifty thousand years and have now progressed to a level where the roles you describe (and have arbitrarily assigned to the genders without any factual basis) have been largely abandoned. I suggest you start by inventing farming, see how that goes and maybe in a couple thousand years we can talk again?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
Give a woman testosterone, and watch her mentality change, im sure if you got out of your bedroom a bit more you would see what i mean...

:wink:
you dont need to give a woman testosterone bruv, she's already got plenty of it naturally.

some of the machismo on display here is scary, and here's me thinking you were all geeks :wink:

sorry but some the sweeping statements about the differences between men and woman really are pre-historic, or you're 'aving a larf.
there are slight differences in brain chemistry between men and women, and it is a fact that men and women perceive music differently (unfortunately i can't point you to the evidence so its hear say) and theres always been a much higher percentage of men making music since the beginning of time, so there must be a reason for that.
probably because all the women were out working in the fields while the men sat on their lazy arses and eventually got bored of gambling. :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Der geile Ami wrote:
SHAP wrote:More interesting: Can you hear specifical differences betwwen music made by male and music made by female? (in our genres)
The music i listen to from female artists tends to have a softer, more sensual feel. The same goes for female djs, even if tey are playing the same records. it could sometimes be a simple matter of tweaking the eq a certain way. I don't find any one way better, just different.

There are enough women running labels and doing their own engineering that I do not see this as a man's game. Enough producers get their first glimpse into making their own music at a late enough age that I don't think there are any societal or gender limitations on who would be getting into it. Plenty of women use software for graphic design, and that requires the same learning curves as music production.
my woman uses exactly the same midi-controller as me to control her VJ software, which is basically the visual equivalent of ableton, and she's self taught and picked it up in an inceadibly short time.

dont agree about the DJ's though, all of the female DJ's i know play proper techno, harder and more aggressively than those floppy haired minimal wimps :wink:
royen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by royen »

steevio wrote:... and theres always been a much higher percentage of men making music since the beginning of time, so there must be a reason for that.
I think the dominance of men in the history of western music... well, to make a long story short: excepting fragments of ancient greek notation, almost all preserved music from about 800 AD until, say, the 16 or 17 hundreds was to some degree religious. Now the christian church has always been very oppressive to women (I assume I won't have to argue this point). Their role for a long time was to sit down and shut up. Consequently, very few women made it onto the list of composers whose music was written down and preserved.

Add to that the fact that social mobility was lower and you had to have at least some pedigree to be able to study music, womens rights were often nearly non-existant, and a woman who actually went off and did something for herself was often considered, well, deviant... well...

(way to generalize a thousand years of history, me! :D)

My point being that just looking up the List of female composers on Wikipedia and concluding that, hey, there weren't that many, doesn't really prove anything.
probably because all the women were out working in the fields while the men sat on their lazy arses and eventually got bored of gambling. :)
Hehe, in so many words :D
Last edited by royen on Thu May 08, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.