What constitutes "boring" minimal?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

S.D.L wrote:All those reverbs & delays makes me sick..
:?
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

tone-def wrote:
S.D.L wrote:All those reverbs & delays makes me sick..
:?
:lol: 2 much of it I was meaning to say
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Speaking of good vocals Victor.., check out the new Heinrichs & Hirtenfeller track 'Free'. That's what I call a nice vocal!
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

victorgonzales wrote: Sure it works great in a club late at night where everyones on drugs or something but I tell you in america if you try and throw down that garbage the crowd will stop dancing. The people here don't get a kick out of an hour set that sounds like the exact same loop the whole time. (Unless your famous then it doesn't really matter what you play cuz the hype keeps everyopne going) Maybe we just don't have as much drugs at the clubs here or something.
it's probably a lot of things, but i think its fair ot say that most of these producers are not aiming for the typical american dancefloor. Leave drugs out of the equation, because just about everyone takes something and most artists over hte course of history have taken something. YOu are comparing apples and oranges when trying to place a lto of this music into a 1 or 2am closing time situation.
freeeeeee
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Depends on how the track is being used. Even the most boring tracks to listen from start to end exclusively can sound great when layered into a set and just taking a minute or two of goodness mashed in with 3 or 4 other tracks to build a great progression.

Then, there is also the matter of personal taste and whats boring to you, might not be boring to someone else. Hell, 5 years ago I'd probably think that most of the music I listen to now is boring "what, its under 145bpm? there's no super-squelchy pads and uberfast pulse bassline?" (used to be a big psytrance head)

Now, I love minimal/techno and find most psytrance boring and the same 'dunnannannannannanannnannnnananununnananann*break*
*vocal sample, usually something evil sounding*
DUNDUNdunnnanananannananana squeaclh bleep"
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

+1 shypht

not every track is made for "home listening" some of them are made strictly for filling/building progression in sets, these can sound quite boring, but have some repetitive groove which is f**in great with some other track
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

9livesto live wrote:
Boring is the sound of ego.
What do you mean?

i think he means who gives a sh!t, people spend too much time wondering or complaining about what other people are doing and tend to forget to do something themselves...

thats how i took it atleast and i like that answer
signatures suck
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Isnt boring a result of pushing known material which is easily absorbed and anticipated? I cannot believe that a new and innovating idea be boring, ever. Boring in my oppinion is the thousand and one producers who try to replicate existing concepts created by others.

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: Gaiser = Boring
Gaiser created the ultimate minimal groove and others followed. Producers copied and wore out the sound. Then some other guys raped it, stabbed it, revitalised it and fucked it over again. And you are saying Gaiser is boring?? Think again buddy!