Derrick May - Beatfactor Interview

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

patrick bateman wrote:
whatever wrote:the detroit guys became very lame and that's the pure truth
- kenny larkin, jeff mills and derrick may have a too good opinion about themselves, kind of the center of the music univers ( bleah)
- kevin saunderson - well he's a very calm and quiet guy, more preocupied of his kid at home than the music.

detroit vibe is dead
sorry :)

MY VERY PERSONAL OPINON :)
Now it's all about luciano and Ricardo YEAH !!!!!! :lol:
hahaha...

*** well lee curtiss just moved back home...

so I guess you just called him dead... . secondly... do you know anything outside of minimal... their is 6 types of techno in the city and all are swarming .... new labels / sub labels / underground stuff you know nothing about.... so please...for the love of god... stop thinking you know something about a city you may never have visited..

and I will not even mention the genre of house...

were do you get you bold opinions from.. ? are you going by kevin / derrick / and juan... in the 80s because their was a movie about it...

or that they are now ....approaching/or in their 40's..

(-)
Last edited by John Clees on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
real_drum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by real_drum »

this interview was supposed to be in two different parts. the first one is that from the link above.

as Derrick turned out into a sleepy tired person at the end of the party, there was no second part... so that's why the interview it's kind of incomplete.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

chrisdisco wrote:
Celltek wrote:
whatever wrote:the detroit guys became very lame and that's the pure truth
- kenny larkin, jeff mills and derrick may have a too good opinion about themselves, kind of the center of the music univers ( bleah)
- kevin saunderson - well he's a very calm and quiet guy, more preocupied of his kid at home than the music.

detroit vibe is dead. sorry :)

MY VERY PERSONAL OPINON :)
Mills has been very humble and respectful about this imo
yeah, you can rip on mills for not being too relevant anymore, but arrogant and cocky he is not.
Even if he still plays the bells id still love to see him more than most acts.
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

I agree the city of Detroit is very much alive and full of new music... I get up there every chance I can get, hopefully maybe someday I can play a show there is as well... and the festival for me is the best time I have each and every year... I have to say Mills last year closing the Festival out was a big disappointment for me but I still have a lot of respect for him and what he has done for Techno music.
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

i was reffering to the 1st wave, the detroit creators. i was expecting somethingh, a special thing.... i listened to all the artists i mentioned in my post and none of them impressed me. it's was a very lack of soul put into music (i'm not referring to the music style,but to the energy they (didn't) transmitted.) by detroit vibe i was reffering to the beginings.

my opinion wasn't for the new artists.

kevin saunderson said there are no good new artists in detroit...to me, that means you're not interested in music anymore. all of you, mentioned some detroit young artists that are very good. the old detroit guys are totally unaware of the new music. they seem kept in a time shell...

this is what dissapointed me a lot....

jeff mills left sunwaves festival sunrrounded by 6 bodyguards. nobody had the permision to talk to him....this i call arrogance

so to clear my statement - the old detroit vibe is dead...new detroit artists...means new vibe

as a comparison - DJ Sneak - has been in the music scene for long time, but didn't lost a drop of the vibe...you can feel his love for music in the air...thing i cannot tell about the detroit creators
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

no worries...I couldn't agree with you more..

so many people have waited on the sidelines for them to come about..

but they seem not to do so... and just ride bookings / gigs from what they were... richie is perhaps one of the only few that keep things fresh as time goes on... he is truly gifted & blessed..

no discussion on that end from me... or from anyone I would think..

lol..

P.s. saying "detroit vibe is dead" - is completely 10000% different from saying (it's first wave) is.. big back peddle...

why even speak of the first wave... - well ... it's the first wave.... it was (hard to even say) almost 30 years ago.. . so you make an ...
( a s t r o n o m i c a l ) statement like that about a wave from 30 years ago... that's humorous..

ride/listen/feel the energy of the ones after and listen to the titlewaves about ripple and take over..

detroit just got TWO new (fun centers/hospitals) which creates the (want) for people to live downtown again / plus the new mgm... moma's got a make over and it's only the beginning...

:)
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

in the end... it's the music that counts

if you're wondering after the personalities behind the music (or any artform for that matter), you're in for a big disappointment

so much beautiful music was made by arrogant assholes and so much crap was made by the best people you can imagine (but surely also good stuff by good people...)

if the artist's personality is part of your criteria, then there's a lot of great stuff you will miss out on

don't bother with personalities!
this business is already so personality-driven, that the music doenst' even matter that much anymore...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

New Guy wrote:there are no more record shops in london?
:?
bullshit.
:?
Soho is full of record shops. It wouldn't surprise me if London was the city with the most record shops in europe.