Shakers

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Yeh man, i think i am, when you say 'every other note', do you mean in 1/16 increments, 1/8, or 1/4....

(I assume you mean 1/16 increments)

The other sounds in the track do help out alot, i agree....
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:
sorry i think i derailed this post,
it depends on which synths you are using, with most modern synths and VAs you can record all your tweaking via midi, so why re-sample them ?
with the old analogue synths, you usually dont have as many parameters to tweak, and they are usually the most obvious and useful ones, so you are unlikely to lose a sound.
i've never had a good reason to ever re-sample a synth, infact ive never done it, sampling an analogue synth is almost sacreligous :shock: :wink:
now when you start talking about modular analogues, you have to have a total rethink about how you make music.
i dereailed the post... mmm... there are lots of parameters to tweak i think... i like to adjust various knobs... sometimes you get them into a sweet spot... then 10 minutes later you go back to adjusting and you some how mess it up. Thats why I like resampling parts of my sounds.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:
steevio wrote:
sorry i think i derailed this post,
it depends on which synths you are using, with most modern synths and VAs you can record all your tweaking via midi, so why re-sample them ?
with the old analogue synths, you usually dont have as many parameters to tweak, and they are usually the most obvious and useful ones, so you are unlikely to lose a sound.
i've never had a good reason to ever re-sample a synth, infact ive never done it, sampling an analogue synth is almost sacreligous :shock: :wink:
now when you start talking about modular analogues, you have to have a total rethink about how you make music.
i dereailed the post... mmm... there are lots of parameters to tweak i think... i like to adjust various knobs... sometimes you get them into a sweet spot... then 10 minutes later you go back to adjusting and you some how mess it up. Thats why I like resampling parts of my sounds.
i know exactly what you mean mate, what synths are you using ?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

mmm... i'm all digital so its definetly quite a little bit different. than using gear... since the tempurature of the device can affect truly analog equipment. I like digital cause I can always go back to a track 5 months later and pick up where I started. I can review my thoughts in a way and interact with them because they are than just recordings.

My primary synths for building patches from scratch are synth1 and alpha.

i like to experiment with other synths like daHornet for leads and shitty bass.

oddity for dissonant monosynths. this one is touchy for sure.

I also use minimonsta.

I also should have mentioned I really only resample when I need to do some complex effect stuff because i'll likely adjust the sound just to get some fresh tones in there... I also do a lot of duplication of tracks and subtraction. Ableton makes this pretty easy in both regards. (shameless ableton plug)

I love the idea of using automation, and i've looked at my friends tracks and they are automation masters. as soon as I start tweaking my sound, I start losing what I started with and it becomes a big messs.
chucklechops
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chucklechops »

Why not just use a loop? Seriously, what's the point fannying about trying to synthesise something like a shaker? It's never going to sound as good as a real shaker recorded and played by pros. Stick a loop in and offset the timing till you get that delayed effect you're after.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

chuckleloops. I'm a synthesizer.
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

digital + analog = best formula
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

chucklechops wrote:Why not just use a loop? Seriously, what's the point fannying about trying to synthesise something like a shaker? It's never going to sound as good as a real shaker recorded and played by pros. Stick a loop in and offset the timing till you get that delayed effect you're after.
ha ha thats so funny, i can synthesize a shaker in 10 seconds, tailor it to fit the track, give it the exact texture and tone i want, even make it do things a human being couldnt do with a physical shaker.
i make electronic music, why should i want to cut and paste someone elses musicianship, when i can do it better myself.
:roll: :wink:
sample textures from the soundscape of your life and do something creative with it, then it becomes a real psychedelic instrument.