Artists moving to Germany to better their art

- open
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

minimal house wrote:Dont forget that Germanys economy is in pretty bad shape now. From what i hear alot of the big german minimal labels are struggling. Making techno music is not my highest priority either. My focus is on getting an M.B.A. and starting a career. So staying in the USA is my only logical choice. The only way Id make the move over there is if a: the german economy hits a huge upswing and b: I was positive I could make a living off of producing/djing minimal techno music for a long damn time.
Well man, I can really see that you never ever lived in Europe.
You are totally wrong about the money. You can make big money there in Germany, if you have the right contacts of course. And I'm sure you get a lot of social benefits you could never dream of in America.

Sometimes is not about making the bucks, sometimes is about how can you spend your money and what would happen to you if you get sick and have no money or are unemployed.

With due respect, What the hell do you do with your M.B.A. in the US if you get sick, and can't work anymore or have an accident for example?
Okay, you call 911 and then "Fire Rescue" comes and takes you to the super fucking expensive hospital that you have to pay later with the credit card you have if you qualify and don't have bad credit, and then be on debt for your whole life...

Nahh... Sorry but in my opinion america sucks big time. And sucks much more if you wanna live an artsy-bohemian life.
It's too restrictive and puritan, and brainwashing.
I may be wrong but I don't see the art when living in a place like that. And I'm sorry if I'm hurting someone's feelings, I really don't mean to.

Sorry about the little bit off-topic.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

the economy problem is world-wide problem
no need to confine it to germany
but in belgium, for instance, you get 700 euro per month if you're unemployed, you do have to prove now and then that you're actively looking for a job, but doing some temp job here and there will get the employment services off your back
so it's pretty easy here to be a psuedo-bohemian artist, provided that you don't have a vinyl addiction that is

no other european country has such a welfare system
and the rent here is pretty cheap compared to the rest of europe
i wouldn't even dream to drop everything and move abroad, too damn expensive, unless I had a well-paid job, but I'd probably go to italy then hehe

but seriously, that whole berlin thing is a bit overrated, it's what's between your ears that makes you an artist
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

Exactly dsat... I was talking a little bit about Europe in general. That Berlin thing is overrated for sure.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

If you are an artist you do your art anywhere you are, but it's helps a lot if you have some social benefits like the ones that dsat told. That way you can dedicate yourself more to the music.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

All social behaviour aside, when it comes to making art, just making art, it's what state of mind you are in which matters, not where you are in the world. When I am making music or visual art or whatever, I am inside my head, feeling what I'm doing, just being in touch emotionally with it. Where I live wouldn't matter much when it comes to making my music. My mind and emotions travel with me, so I'd keep doing what I'm doing now. Now of course where you live has some influence on your art, but not nearly as much as your mind.
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hotpace »

I've been to Berlin 5 times in the last 12 months now and can safely say I'd love to live there! Its got a vibe about the place and I feel truly alive there! Its just the language barrier/money situation thats stopping me! I'm lucky though as I can drive 100 miles to my airport and get a return flight for just £40 or £50 sterling (I'm from the UK by the way). Thats a good second best but I would really like to be immersed in the place for a bigger chunk of time. As for America. Interesting (and in many places, beautiful naturewise) but only for 2 or 3 weeks max. I agree with all what Isabella said above about it being too brainwashed etc. How can 'the land of the free' have so many stupid laws? No dancing, no smoking, cant drink till 21, CAN drive a 2 tonne metal death trap at 17, CAN buy a gun at 18! Its the craziest place in the civilised world and yet so many (not all) Americans think its some sort of nirvana. Brainwashing in full effect sadly! :roll:
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

I have a feeling hte bulk of germanys unemployment situation is in the former eastern state. When the red army went back east, they took all technology with them. Even tho the wall fell 15 years ago, east berlin still looks really bleak in some areas. These are of course not where the big guys live or play. If there is no industry, there can be no jobs for the workers.

You can live quite well in berlin for 1-1500 euro a month. That will pay just rent in Manhattan. G'luck with the MBA.

The US has a lot of big cities, but keep in mind that all of europe is the size of the continental US. Germany fits into montana. Europe has an overall higher population density.

and to keep the ball rolling, Martini Brös and Steve Bug pulled maybe 700 people on a weekend in NYC in 2002. That was a few years ago, but Tobi Neumann prolly got 60 people a few weeks back. Ricardo wont play america. Laurant Garnier wont go back because they harass him when he is just trying to renew his work visa.
freeeeeee
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Hotpace:

Those "stupid laws" you speak of are NOT national laws. They are local laws meaning its up to that town/city. So you cant say America has stupid laws, just a few select cities. I will say that there are some towns here with some really stupid laws, but every country in the world has stupid laws, not just america.

There is no law in america saying that we cant dance. That is just ridiculous. Some cities are not allowed to dance/party in a venue that doesnt have the necessary permits to do so. Im pretty sure thats how it is in europe as well. You cant just go into an abandoned warehouse and setup a party. Well you can, but if you get caught your facing a hefty fine. Your taking a risk. Hence the reason promoters take their events to legal venues.

There are very very very very very few clubs/cities that ban smoking in club settings. Clubs would lose out on a lot of money if patrons couldnt smoke (tobacco that is, marijuana is still illegal in the States)

yes you must be 21 years of age to consume alcoholic beverages. And Im all in favor of that. We cant have stupid 16 year old kids getting wasted and then driving around. Alcohol is a dangerous drug, period.

Obtaining a drivers liscense at age 16 is a PRIVLEDGE not a RIGHT.

At 18 you are considered an adult. Owning a gun is probably one of the most important laws we have here as citizens. And its not like you goto the corner store and buy a gun, you must send out for a permit to own one and background checks are mandatory to obtain a gun..its actually a pain in the ass. If there are no guns, then your at the mercy of your govt. How are you going to defend yourself?

so if im brainwashed, then so are you.

In conclusion I still see no evidence and refuse to believe that moving to Germany makes someones music more valid than someone living in The US, Holland, Japan, or any other country.