influence and history of techno music

- open
Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

influential & essential:

Lee Purkis aka InSync (part of InSync & Mysteron)
Cari Lekebusch
Thomas P. Heckmann
Damon Wild
Wolfgang Voigt
Robert Hood
Cristian Vogel
Affie Yusuf
Luke Slater

for "similar artists" - visit and/or use www.last.fm - most suggestions are good.
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

daniel bell :wink:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
zirk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zirk »

Robot Criminal wrote:daniel bell :wink:
word 8)
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

plaster wrote:
yannick^ wrote:I do enjoy the music, and I really don't care what track belongs to which genre at a party.

But I don't see what's wrong with gaining a bit of technical knowledge?
everything is wrong with that. just look at the academic musicians, all their technical knowledge brought them nothingness. sure, they know how to read and play the notes, but if you leave them alone to write a piece they wouldn't know where to begin with. in my opinion that's a curse, because noone teaches you how to be yourself in music. drop the silly limitations, genres and technicality, it's so superficial and ungrateful.
Sorry, but that's pretty ignorant! There's nothing wrong with anyone wanting to know the techno history. I'd call it rather important, cause they just didn't start making good music a few month back and there's so much to discover if you just look back in time. Good music doesn't just fly by, you have to look for it, and in the rather complex field of club music it is more than necessary to have some background knowlegde on the field. (btw: How many academic musicians do you know personally, or ever heard making music? :roll: Further, there's nothing academic in knowing techno history. It should be general knowledge for people like us.)

@ Yannick: I suggest you start with Wikipedia, like anyone in search for superficial knowledge on whatever topic. You can browse the various genres and hyperlink yourself through the techno history. They usually also have sound and midi clip examples to help to distinguish the different genres. That should give you a lot to read for a start.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

it started in Detroit.

Juan Atkins
Kevin Saunderson
Derrick May
Eddie Fawlkes

Read interviews with these guys,check out both the 'High Tech Soul' & 'Universal Techno' documentaries,read 'Techno Rebels' and take it from there.

Everyone who's someone in techno will be accessed from that startpoint.

Even right up to todays innovators.
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

chrisdisco wrote:just don't get caught up in the "it all started in detroit" bullshit. it is much more complex and textured than that remarkably popular myth makes out.
:roll:
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Here's some good background, interviews with Derrick May, New Order, & Frankie Knuckles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgjPcXjbDd8

(Pay no attention to the commentary unless you speak Japanese. :) )
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

this is a good link to check out:

http://deephousepage.com/sub/history_of_house.php