minilogue analog kick...

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i use a different method to the ones listed above, but it is effectively layering but its more homogenous and its analogue.
i use a TR909, which provides that inimitable punch that you feel in your chest, and run it through a sherman filterbank in series, with a high resonance setting so that its self oscillating a sinewave to provide the sub.
( i run that through a guitar tuner so i can tune the note exactly)
because the 909 is triggering the sinewave, theres no chance of flamming, and it sounds like one kick.
by altering the levels of the two signals and tunings, you can get a massive variety of kick sounds, from tight and punchy to deep and subby.
i love the ummph of the 909 kick, but its impossible to tune, because the tuning function doesnt really alter the low end, it seems to work on the low mids, ( if you analyse a 909 kick at different tuning settings, it will always give a note of G# (52HZ) or threreabouts, infact its a bit sketchy, and seems to give a note of G in the middle of the sweep)
by adding the sinewave you can be more accurate with the tuning, and add weight to the bottom end.
of course theres nothing to stop you trying this with software, but its unlikely to get the analogue feel you're after.
oz_music
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oz_music »

steevio sounds funny you know...if i had a tr-909 and shermans filterbank i wouldnt be here asking about kicks...thx for your advise but its not helping u know!!!it just makes thing worst...thx anyway
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sorry dude, you were asking how to get an analogue kick like minilogues,
i was just trying to give some back ground into how you get those sort of analogue kicks, i wasnt meaning to make you feel frustrated mate.
you can take that info and use it and adapt it.
you dont need a sherman filterbank or a 909, but the principal can be adapted. you could use a sampled 909 kick and put it through say an Analogue Solutions LP filter module, they're cheap as chips, or you could try using the same principal with software, it could give you something close.
i only commented on the fact that you would be unlikely to get an analogue sounding kick from a software solution, because that is probably where you're frustration stems from mate.
like someone else said, if you really want to have a minilogue kick, then sample one.
personally i believe the kick sound in a tune is totally dependant on that tune, you may like a particular kick sound, but that doesnt mean its going to fit into every tune or your particular sound, so chasing someone elses kick sound is probably just going to frustrate you.
the system i use throws up a different kick every tune that is suited in terms of intensity /punch / attack etc. and tuned to that tune, i dont think i could work with one kick sound.
i hope you find a solution mate, and i'm sorry i wasnt much help.

(btw, ive never had a kick sound out of my 303 either)
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

steevio wrote:like someone else said, if you really want to have a minilogue kick, then sample one.
despite my respect for steevio, i cant agree here. do not do this if you at least plan to send your track as a demo. things have changed, it aint what it used to be. nowadays alot of artists are famous because of their kick synthesis. if you sample a contemporary kick like that, you will have to do some serious masking, and will either spoil it, or will not be able to have it sound clean, like you want it to. it has become pretty much an artist's signature.

number two, why are you so sure that these kind of kicks are analogue? just because it sounds mild and harmonic to your ears? kick like this are better done in the digital domain, because of the serious amount of combining synthesis methods needed. another story is where the waveforms come from - that could, and most probably is analogue hardware.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

steevio wrote:the system i use throws up a different kick every tune that is suited in terms of intensity /punch / attack etc. and tuned to that tune, i dont think i could work with one kick sound.
on the money
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

s.k. wrote:
steevio wrote:like someone else said, if you really want to have a minilogue kick, then sample one.
despite my respect for steevio, i cant agree here. do not do this if you at least plan to send your track as a demo. things have changed, it aint what it used to be. nowadays alot of artists are famous because of their kick synthesis. if you sample a contemporary kick like that, you will have to do some serious masking, and will either spoil it, or will not be able to have it sound clean, like you want it to. it has become pretty much an artist's signature.

number two, why are you so sure that these kind of kicks are analogue? just because it sounds mild and harmonic to your ears? kick like this are better done in the digital domain, because of the serious amount of combining synthesis methods needed. another story is where the waveforms come from - that could, and most probably is analogue hardware.
i totally agree, dont sample that kick, what i was trying to say mate was if you absolutely have to have an exact minilogue kick theres no other way.
i'm totally not into sampling other peoples sounds, i've never done it myself, and i dont advocate it, i was trying to make a point.
but lets agree to disagree on synthesis methods, using multiple pathways in an analogue studio you can build some increadibly complex signals.
oz_music
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oz_music »

hey guys of course i wont sample a kick that wasnt produced by me..thats the reason im asking how i could manage to go towards this minilogue sound,steevio come on i didnt mean to be rude or something..i just love shermans and 909... :evil: i dont wanna have the same kick,its about the same touch of bass and mid range,its about color and harmonics that makes it difficult for me to understand.and of course is analog...someone said how do we know,of course we know...we can hear it ..soft and clear with punch that just makes you move without being angry,im trying hard enough believe me..i am spending hours/ weeks...some times i get close..but my room is not well treated for this type of calculations.thx evryone!!!!!!
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

huhh... if you someday, by any chance find out, that the exact kick you're after is completely digital, please dont be banging your head to the wall a lot.

steevio is as always spot on right, in an analogue studio you can easily come up with stuff that would take you ages just to figure out in the digital world. i would love to see someone invent an analogue audio-editor though :lol: , so yeah what i was saying is, best of both worlds, horses for courses right?