A request for the netlabels in general!!.

- free art
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

Someone HAD to start this thread, thank you _minimalnet_!

I do fully agree with you.

The archive should contain a well-named directory (label, release number, artist and album title). This implies that each release should be available as a single archive file at least. The archive itself should IMHO (see below(*)) just contain the name of the label and the release number.

Each track should be named from (at least) its number and its title.

Tags should be filled.

If a cover has been designed, please don't include a tiny thumbnail. Some netlabels also design animated covers (as GIF or Flash files) which are shown on the web site of the label but which are replaced by static images in the archive, why??

Extra files (bio of the artist, info about the label etc.) are welcome.

I download quite a lot of netlabel releases. I often find out the artist name is missing, the tracks are not numbered, different releases are not named consistently etc.
Also, when I discover a good netlabel, I do of course want to get all of its releases (that's what a netlabel is for, giving access to the music created by their artists, right?). Sometimes, it's very tedious. (*)Sometimes, the archives are all in the same directory, with just the number changing, and this helps a LOT.

@Zero:onE I think the owner of a netlabel should do everything he can to make his label attractive. That's his job, even if he's not paid for it. He should show respect for his artists. If he chooses to release an album or EP, he should be convinced about its quality, this means zipping a bunch of mp3's under a random name is not an option ;) I hope you now understand what we're asking is not just for our own selfish pleasure, but that we (the listeners) are passionated and we believe the artists and the netlabel owners are too.
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

shamankick wrote:NO VBR
Please, no VBR!

It would be super nice if everybody used the same format for file names and id3 tags.
Katzenjammer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Katzenjammer »

Why don't you want VBR?

VBR is actually the best quality to space ratio. Hence, using CBR is a waste of bandwidth and space in most cases.

Or are you using some hard/software that are incompatible with VBR?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against either option, I just don't see the problem with using VBR.
[url=http://partikel.bandcamp.com]Partikel - Ark 1 out now on tape and digital[/url]
choenyi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by choenyi »

VBR, imho, is no inviable option, but is better implemented via ogg vorbis; VBR mp3 remaining lacking, quality-wise, to ogg or ...

In ratio to space, OK, but methinks ogg surpasses ... compatibility remaining the issue, I suppose ...
_minimalnet_
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by _minimalnet_ »

KTZNJMMR vbr is not bad quality but some cd-mixers, really almost all, cdj200, cdj800, etc etc... do not work fine with vbr and i think this is the principal reason for which it is a better cbr. At least from my point of view.
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

there's lots of "this and that should be done" in this thread!!!!!

as much as I agree with the large majority of these "suggestions", I'd like to throw one more:

money should be donated by the happy downloader thanks to the "donate" button

:lol:
tomashaas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tomashaas »

choenyi wrote:Er, sorry I jumped in at the end of page 1 and the first post makes no sense to explicit responsive context :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I agree to the last post 192 at least!
I raise the bar no less than 256 please! Why not?
iy you use a good encoder and your mixdown is okay 192kbps will be really enough even for playing in clubs with traktor.
:wink:
Most of you even dont hear anything different to a 256kbps mp3, so huuu?

dont request so much things.
okay some standard things like trackname arrangement (tischxx_01_markus_masuhr_mikadoplastik.mp3) or id3 tags are a must have, i see. but why have a cover discussion?
whats the next request from you all? Willing to have a word on label concept or what? :evil:

For Example Tisch-Records is using weird catalogue number arrangement and different cover sizes and formats cause we are a abstract/experimental netlabel so that i decided to use a different concept to other netlabels. so i dont like to use another concept cause listeners want it "standard-like". be happy that there are different ways of forming and handling a netlabel. or would you prefere that all netlabels going the same concept and strategy?`i dont think so :wink:
netlabel for abstract electronic music art
http://www.tisch-records.org
http://www.myspace.com/tischrecords
shamankick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shamankick »

KTZNJMMR wrote:Why don't you want VBR?

VBR is actually the best quality to space ratio. Hence, using CBR is a waste of bandwidth and space in most cases.

Or are you using some hard/software that are incompatible with VBR?
"space ratio" : Gigaoctet cost peanut today people don't care about storage space

streaming VBR is sometime problematic with shoutcast or ice
the 2 main streaming server (webradio)

and 192kbs is a minimum if you respect the artist work

that's all folk
http://www.subflow.net Webradio dedicated to the Netlabel scene. 256Kbs streaming