TRAKTOR SCRATCH or SERATO

- open
Todd Konix
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Todd Konix »

not to mention the 4 table option in scratch.. and the latency issues as well.
You can only play 2 timecode decks in Traktor Scratch. If you upgrade (paid, of course, but I'm sure everyone's just going to download the cracked version) to Traktor DJ Studio 3.3 when it comes out later next month, you can play 4 decks, but still only 2 timecode decks at one time.

And Serato still has a lower latency than Traktor Scratch.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

But you can drop Ableton loops while playing the timecode decks with Scratch, right?

I use Serato.

And never lick your needle contacts! Jesus, some of you djs, I swear.

If you need to reconnect, rub your finger across the contacts to get the crap off of them. And then breeeeaathe on the contacts with a hot breath. Hot breath = slow exhale with wide open mouth. Like if you try to fog up a mirror. The moisture from your breath is more than enough to get the contacts working again.

You could also just try loosening and retightening the tonearm collar.

n00bz
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

One thing I thought I may be able to do is, I have a xone:92 & would it be possible to have a third deck/track playing & use the crossfader on my mixer as a pitch control, via midi?

or am I completely off the mark, I havn't used any of the afore mentioned soft/hardware but am researching into it, to see which one I will get, @ the moment I am favoring serato to be honest.
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Todd Konix wrote:
not to mention the 4 table option in scratch.. and the latency issues as well.
You can only play 2 timecode decks in Traktor Scratch. If you upgrade (paid, of course, but I'm sure everyone's just going to download the cracked version) to Traktor DJ Studio 3.3 when it comes out later next month, you can play 4 decks, but still only 2 timecode decks at one time.

And Serato still has a lower latency than Traktor Scratch.
thank you for clearing that up...in regards to the upgrade and specifics..

in regards to your last sentance... I've heard it was the opposite....

why would rich change if it was worse...[?] how could they design a new product and it not be equal at least... / just looking for your further opinion..

I've not had the chance to test them out to make an informed decision..but I think I would lean towards tracktor scratch..

I played on a few laptops... and have heard multiple laptops crash in the middle of sets with serato..
Todd Konix
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Todd Konix »

Nope, it's true. SSL has a needle drop latency of 7ms (PC) and 8ms (Mac) on the lowest buffer setting and total latency about 11ms. TS's lowest needle drop I could get was about 15ms and total latency about 18-20ms. I'll have the waveform graphs/tests in my TS reviews when it's finished.

Sure, no software is perfect and can crash. That's a risk you're just going to have to take with any software. But in my 2+ years of using SSL, it's never crashed on me and has been flawless. I've already had 2 crashes with TS in the few short weeks I've had it. Stability > features IMO.

I don't care what Richie, or anyone else, uses. I test them all and make my own decisions, and my decision is I'm sticking with SSL for gigs. There's just some things I can't get accustomed to in TS, like the GUI and side-by-side mono-colored waveforms and file browser. Sure, TS has more features than SSL, that's no secret, but like I said, stability > features. And every new version of SSL only gets better. But I suspect Richie is switching because TS has MIDI clock out and MIDI I/O ports on the Audio 8, so to better sync with Ableton. And he didn't say for sure he would be switching, just that he's been looking at TS and might switch. I'll see what he'll be using next weekend at DEMF.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

well ... it sounds like you've had your hands on both recently.. and numerically tested both yourself....

thank you for your input .. and taking the time to write.
stringfello
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stringfello »

just to put my two cents.

I have used final scratch a handful of times. I have owned the unit for over a year and it broke. I hate Final Scratch. I first thought it was cool, my roomate had it. His broke after a year, so I decided to use mine. I think they uphold the stanton seal of approval for crap products. Now I know why people are switching. Not that I like Ranes use of USB with Serato but I do know the Rane name for quality.

I am writing Stanton a letter about my roomate and I's units. I am not looking for any thing from them. I don't want them to replace the units. Oh they said to fix them it would be 200.00. F*** That!!!. Maybe I will upgrade to FS scratch. Nope!!! 400.00 and some change. F*** That!!!.

This is just my experience. Like I said I liked it when it was working. The unit should work after abuse. Its a DJ's tool. I take care of my gear. I had sony mdr 700 headphones for 6 years before they gave out. This didn't last a year and I probably played with it maybe 10-15 times.
Reborn in Detroit
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Traktor Scratch. Serato is just as good, but I HATE the Serato interface, it's like someone ate magic fluo markers and barfed over your screen.

Never had any problems with FinalScratch2, and haven't had problems with Traktor Scratch either. Latency is 4ms btw, not 20 like someone here mentioned... Not that that matters at all, I dare you to make an adjustment in your mixes in less then 30ms :mrgreen:

The benefit for me for TS is simply the fact that it's USB2 so no additional power supply needed, and the fact that it's easier to connect with those really handy new combination cables. But as far as all the rest goes: Serato or TS, I think it's just a matter of personal taste.

Stringfello: TS is not from Stanton, but from Native Instruments. There's a reason they stopped working with Stanton, guess why ;)