describe minimal music!

- open
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

minimal house wrote:
Conradaroma wrote:After reading a few of these, some might say that it can be the use of simple forms to create complex structure, but if the structure is too complicated is it still minimal?
Like "microhouse", which i would not classify as minimal.
but minimal tracks are essential in microhouse-- it's a catch 22
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

I live in the House- & Micro-House lives in me.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

The Remix wrote:
minimal house wrote:
Conradaroma wrote:After reading a few of these, some might say that it can be the use of simple forms to create complex structure, but if the structure is too complicated is it still minimal?
There's no catch 22. Throwing some tiny noises in a digital house track don't make it "minimal". Accuse me of overgeneralizing but that seems to be all that happens these days... and/or using sounds that are a little more processed than your typical house.. but "microhouse" used to mean something too and now it's just an excuse for people to be into house who are too ashamed to admit or associate with the rest of the house heads.
Conradaroma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Conradaroma »

adam wrote:
The Remix wrote:
minimal house wrote:
There's no catch 22. Throwing some tiny noises in a digital house track don't make it "minimal". Accuse me of overgeneralizing but that seems to be all that happens these days... and/or using sounds that are a little more processed than your typical house.. but "microhouse" used to mean something too and now it's just an excuse for people to be into house who are too ashamed to admit or associate with the rest of the house heads.
I guess, all I was trying to say is that I'm not sure what makes music minimal, whether it's the stripped down sounds that make the music, or having a structure which is itself stripped down to the essential components. I think that both components exist in "minimal" music, but it's the sounds that are more important, otherwise my definition would probably encompass "ambient" due to its structure being quite stripped down.

As for microhouse...well...

I am still trying to wrap my head around what microhouse is, since I've heard before it's the use of "micro" elements in a house-like way, but now that I've been listening to a lot more, I'm almost thinking microhouse is just house music that I can listen to siting down and not be annoyed. That's maybe just me though. ;)
Teleportation Now!
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

adam wrote:
The Remix wrote:
minimal house wrote:
amen!
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

minimal is few things, repeated over and over again
dou
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dou »

Conradaroma
mnml newbie